Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Oh and to those of you who say it's someone's right to stay on the waitlist even if they got into their top choice, you are as bad as those executives in the 2008 financial crisis who said that it was their "right" to receive their multi-million dollar bonus even though the American people were bailing out the company. Have a sense of humanity, even for people you don't know. Greed is what gives us business people a bad rep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
pennbound2013 wrote:
Been combing through the posts, and I must say, I'm really glad Jmw will be my classmate at Wharton.

Same here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
JMW - you work in private equity, correct? Has your firm ever extracted a "consulting fee" from a portfolio company, while also laying off employees at the company? Or engaged in other odious private equity practices? And yet you project such moral outrage on these forums? The difference is, you assist in the institutionalized theft of millions of dollars costing dozens of people their jobs, while the other guy is causing maybe one person to wait until July to hear if he gets to upgrade from Stern to Wharton. I don't excuse either of you. But please, people - let's try to have some perspective here. There's a whole wide world outside of the MBA admissions game. Let he who is without sin...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM

Interesting.

Why not post with your real account?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
pennbound2013 wrote:
Been combing through the posts, and I must say, I'm really glad Jmw will be my classmate at Wharton. Honestly, if you've been accepted into your top choice, there is no excuse to stay on a waitlist in fear of the background check. Unless you've purposely tried to deceive people on your application, we all know that a minor, accidental mistake will not keep you out from a school. That's just ridiculous. Once I got my acceptance from Wharton first round, I instantly withdrew from my interview with Sloan to open up that space to someone else who may have been on the fence for an interview. I was NOT scared of the background check because I knew I was as honest and thorough about my application as I could have been.

deleted for privacy concerns

Originally posted by formerlyknownas on 14 May 2011, 09:17.
Last edited by formerlyknownas on 14 May 2011, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance &amp; Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Kudos
wow - I haven't been able to come on the site in a few days and I see I've missed quite a lot of action! I definitely think it is your right to hold on to an admit/waitlist till you've cleared all the requirements at the school you plan to matriculate but I think this discussion has moved on much further away from the original comment that triggered it which was about someone being "curious about Wharton's decision" despite enrolling at HBS - some people observed that this is quite a self-serving attitude to have and it doesn't change anything by diverting on to other things such as background checks and comparing it to getting in to second choice schools (or for that matter the ethical actions of PE firms!?!).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Kudos
commonsense wrote:
JMW - you work in private equity, correct? Has your firm ever extracted a "consulting fee" from a portfolio company, while also laying off employees at the company? Or engaged in other odious private equity practices? And yet you project such moral outrage on these forums? The difference is, you assist in the institutionalized theft of millions of dollars costing dozens of people their jobs, while the other guy is causing maybe one person to wait until July to hear if he gets to upgrade from Stern to Wharton. I don't excuse either of you. But please, people - let's try to have some perspective here. There's a whole wide world outside of the MBA admissions game. Let he who is without sin...

Didn't see this till now....

I do work in private equity and we do take management fees from some of our portfolio companies. For these fees, we do a good deal of work for and add a significant amount of value to them. They are then netted against the management fees we have on our capital so we are not taking more than we are entitled to. We invest in growth companies so our goal is never to buy a company and layoff half of its employees. Don't get me wrong...we're by no means an altruistic firm. We exist to make money for our investors. I don't think that's "odious" or immoral. If you knew anything about me, private equity, the firm I work at, or spoke with the CEOs of any of our portfolio companies, you would realize that there's no "institutionalized theft" going on and we've rarely downsized at any of our firms.

I would also say that if someone has gotten in at any school (Stern in your example) and would prefer to go to Wharton, then by all means they should stay on the waitlist. What I can't stand is someone who has gotten into a school (HBS in previous examples) that they would prefer to go to over Wharton who remains on the waitlist just because he wants to see if he can get in.

Oh, and saying "let he who is without sin..." in the manner that you did makes it seem like you're opposed to anyone criticizing anything anyone else does on an ethical/moral basis....(ex. Sure he killed his wife, but let he who is without sin....). Doesn't fly in my book.

Oh, and thanks to others who seem to be backing my argument...look forward to meeting you guys too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
what is crazy is that people continue to draw parallels between someone staying on the waitlist when they have an offer they prefer in hand and unsavory business practices. that's just nuts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
bschbound wrote:
what is crazy is that people continue to draw parallels between someone staying on the waitlist when they have an offer they prefer in hand and unsavory business practices. that's just nuts.

Not unsavory...just unethical and inconsiderate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Jmw125 wrote:
bschbound wrote:

inconsiderate - maybe, unethical - no. I'm sorry if all people at Wharton are so rigid and militant, I am happy I won't be going there
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
bschbound wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
bschbound wrote:

inconsiderate - maybe, unethical - no. I'm sorry if all people at Wharton are so rigid and militant, I am happy I won't be going there

At least we both agree on something...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Jmw125 wrote:
At least we both agree on something...

very classy of you, mr. wharton
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
FYI everyone, I'm an admitted student and a member of the facebook group...the members have increased by about 15 from Friday to today (from 629 to like 643-644). This was just after the first weekend. So there is some positive movement, even if it doesn't seem that way on these forums.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
leilalu86 wrote:
FYI everyone, I'm an admitted student and a member of the facebook group...the members have increased by about 15 from Friday to today (from 629 to like 643-644). This was just after the first weekend. So there is some positive movement, even if it doesn't seem that way on these forums.

Thank you for posting this. Its very helpful. Most of us on the WL have only the facebook group to gauge the size of the class. Last year's was 750+ so unless around 100 people or so join in the next couple of weeks there may still be a bit of hope left for those on the summer WL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:HBS (Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
bschbound wrote:
bschbound:what is crazy is that people continue to draw parallels between someone staying on the waitlist when they have an offer they prefer in hand and unsavory business practices. that's just nuts.
Jmw135:Not unsavory...just unethical and inconsiderate.
bschbound:inconsiderate - maybe, unethical - no. I'm sorry if all people at Wharton are so rigid and militant, I am happy I won't be going there.
Jmw135: At least we both agree on something...
bschbound: very classy of you, mr. wharton

It's ok bschbound. I'm happy I won't be studying with a radical/extremist as Jmw125. And not because of his position, but because he is unable to even process the arguments of someone with a different point of view, considering only his "only" and "true" perspective above all else.

Jmw125, in his quest to "win" the discussion, fails to notice its own evolution, actively choosing to:
- 1. Ignore posts recognizing it's not considerate with others to keep a spot in the waitlist if you are 100% sure and cleared to attend your preferred B-school.
- 2. Ignore that there are people who want, and are in their right, to keep their spot in waitlists to avoid risks related with background, employment and grades checks (have you thought of international applicants from troubled countries? have you ever applied for a visa to a developed country, being a national of an emerging nation?).
- 3. And finally, ignore the sad fact that inconsiderate!=unethical, and, unethical!=illegal in many cases.

Of course, he thinks repeating the same sentence one thousand times would make his position "the truth". No arguments, no contribution, just radicalism. And of course, his double standards are appalling. "We exist to make money to our investors" does not mean that, in some cases, innocent bystanders are not harmed with his decisions and inputs in PE.

If we apply his radicalism to ethics, and if Jmw125's really consistent, he should stay away from the business world and quit PE. Immediately.

I'm pretty sure this is not the standard profile of people going to Wharton. I guess he just makes Wharton students look bad...

Originally posted by carlcove on 16 May 2011, 16:01.
Last edited by carlcove on 16 May 2011, 21:31, edited 3 times in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
carlcove wrote:
bschbound wrote:
bschbound:what is crazy is that people continue to draw parallels between someone staying on the waitlist when they have an offer they prefer in hand and unsavory business practices. that's just nuts.
bschbound:inconsiderate - maybe, unethical - no. I'm sorry if all people at Wharton are so rigid and militant, I am happy I won't be going there.

It's ok bschbound. I'm happy I won't be studying with a radical/extremist as Jmw125. And not because of his position, but because he is unable to even process the arguments of someone with a different point of view, considering only his "only" and "true" perspective above all else.

Jmw125, in his quest to be the "winner" of the discussion, fails to notice its own evolution, actively choosing to ignore 1. The posts recognizing it's not considerate with others to keep a spot in the waitlist if you are 100% sure and cleared to attend your preferred B-school 2. That there are people who want, and are in their right, to keep their spot in waitlists to avoid risks related with background, employment and grades checks (have you thought of international applicants from troubled countries? have you ever applied for a visa to a developed country, being a national of an emerging nation?). 3. And finally, the sad fact that inconsiderate!=unethical, and if you take it further, unethical!=illegal in many cases.

Of course, he thinks repeating the same sentence one thousand times would make his position "the truth". No arguments, no contribution, just radicalism.

And of course, his double standards are appalling. "We exist to make money to our investors" does not mean that, in some cases, innocent bystanders are not harmed with his decisions and inputs in PE. If we apply his radicalism to ethics in business, and if Jmw123's really consistent, he should stay away from the business world and quit PE. Immediately.

I hope, and actually I'm pretty sure, this is not the standard profile of people going to Wharton. I guess he just makes Wharton students look bad...

Have fun in Boston.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:HBS (Accepted)
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:
carlcove wrote:
bschbound wrote:

Jmw125, in his quest to be the "winner" of the discussion, fails to notice its own evolution, actively choosing to ignore 1. The posts recognizing it's not considerate with others to keep a spot in the waitlist if you are 100% sure and cleared to attend your preferred B-school 2. That there are people who want, and are in their right, to keep their spot in waitlists to avoid risks related with background, employment and grades checks (have you thought of international applicants from troubled countries? have you ever applied for a visa to a developed country, being a national of an emerging nation?). 3. And finally, the sad fact that inconsiderate!=unethical, and if you take it further, unethical!=illegal in many cases.

Of course, he thinks repeating the same sentence one thousand times would make his position "the truth". No arguments, no contribution, just radicalism.

And of course, his double standards are appalling. "We exist to make money to our investors" does not mean that, in some cases, innocent bystanders are not harmed with his decisions and inputs in PE. If we apply his radicalism to ethics in business, and if Jmw123's really consistent, he should stay away from the business world and quit PE. Immediately.

I hope, and actually I'm pretty sure, this is not the standard profile of people going to Wharton. I guess he just makes Wharton students look bad...

Have fun in Boston.

Try to develop the ability to learn from a discussion...hopefully you'll avoid making Wharton look bad because of your extremism!

And BTW, your first positive post in the whole thread. Congrats!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  161   162   163   164   165   166   167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts