It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:03
I am waitlisted at Wharton!!! I could have waited for that till 22nd, hardly seems reasonable to put people on waitlist ahead of time.

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:13

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Tuck Class of '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:21
Waitlisted. Don't know good or bad. Time will decide.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:22
Seems like there's a ton of WLs.....more than acceptances even! that seems high to me.

Perhaps (and admittedly I'm sugar coating a lot at this point) they are simply in a mode where they don't know what to expect for R2 volume considering the economy, so they were very hesitant to send out acceptances when all these other people would potentially be applying. The market is much more 'volatile' I guess I'd say, than your average year.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:29
Yeah! Quite true bostonsparky!
However, if I would have applied in R2, then there would have been an unexpected number of exceptional candidates in R1 and I would have been dinged/WLed.... :lol: (Going by Murphy's law)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Booth

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:34
Waitlisted here, too. After Kellogg & Booth dings I guess it is not quite as painful.

Sounds like we won't hear until R2 decision date. Anyone hear otherwise?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:40
So I got accepted, but I didn't get a call. Are there others here who didn't receive a call, but their status said accepted?

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:42
CompanyMan wrote:
Yeah! Quite true bostonsparky!
However, if I would have applied in R2, then there would have been an unexpected number of exceptional candidates in R1 and I would have been dinged/WLed.... :lol: (Going by Murphy's law)

No doubt, I'm sure we're all glad we applied R1. So hopefully this is a case (considering Wharton's typical 70% yield rate) where in the past they'd maybe admit 500 people R1, but this year they only sent say 400 admits to the people who they figured they'd be competing with H/S to get, and are saving 600-700 or so admits for future rounds in case app volumes are way up.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
Just saw this post on businessweek and figured people here would benefit from this info. The source is FanaticalFan, a poster from S2S and BW that is somehow affiliated with Wharton:

"http://s2s.wharton.upenn.edu/wh-wharton/messages/?msg=17204 - Wharton 2005 / 06 Waitlist Discussion
http://s2s.wharton.upenn.edu/wh-wharton ... ?msg=17204 - Wharton 2006 / 07 Waitlist Discussion

Couple of interesting points

"Wharton has been so open about their process - why being so unjust about waitlisted candidates. Please let us know how you decide to pick the waitlisted guys

1) Do you pool them with the R2 interviewed candidates to pick up the best candidates?
1A) Is there any differentiating factors over those candidates - are waitlisted candidates treated equally/below/above the R2 interviewed candidates

2) or do you pool R2 interviewed candidates and pick up your best candidates first, and then pool the remaining candidates and waitlisted candidates to see whom to pick?

Thanks in advance."

"Definitely more like 1. One of the reasons for the waitlist is to deal with uncertainty as to application numbers and quality between rounds, until adcom can see what R2 is really like. We want to ensure that an application of given quality stands an even chance in either round. Normally a considerable number of R1 waitlists are admitted in R2.

I know waitlist sucks, but I don't think there's anything unjust about the process

FF"

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 16:50
Good to know jj. +1.

I'm sure the Kellogg's and Columbia's of the world don't mind the flood of app's they're going to get soon as a result of this policy I think.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Schools: Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks jjright...that was actually my post on bw...haha but thanks for posting it here too

I've decided to join this forum because it's more active it seems like!

I also have these following thoughts...

So I'm thinking...these are the possible outcomes for R1 WLers...(please feel free to comment)

Admitted in R2 (I would say significant portion - explained below)
Denied in R2 - (These would be the ones who they realized after all, aren't as strong as R2 candidates or other R1 WL candidates)
Continue WL in R2 - (I'm thinking small numbers as these people are the 'borderline' candidates that would need to be judged after R3)
Remove / Withdrawal of R1 WL - (possible as quite a few would have accepted other top schools and need to pay deposit / could not be bothered waiting)

I mean I keep on thinking, they must see something they like otherwise they would just ding me and not bother waitlisting me in R1 right?

So the question is, would R2 applicants be much higher quality than I am? Not necessarily...

I think alot comes down to who applies in R2 e.g. are there people similar in background to you but who is just slightly better in everything? What is their diversity pool like in R2? (i.e. minorities etc)? What can you offer that is not offered by R2 candidates?

The adcoms would have read your application many times by R2....I think that's a good thing. You've left an impression but they're not sure until they can compare you with the rest. You're probably in their minds already...they can't find a real reason to ding you unless they find someone else who is has similar experience but better...

I also think, they probably WL more people in R1 (especially this year) because they want to make sure they get the best and right candidates so they need to evaluate R2 first before they can fully make an informed decision. The conclusion is, R1 WL is better than R2 WL. For me, R1 WL is to make sure they can find the best quality students whereas R2 WL is more for yield purposes...not sure if that's true but it sounds logical?

But maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Enough thinking! Even though W is my first option, gotta be practical and get on with R2 applications!!

Good luck everyone!~

-------------------
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
-------------------

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 18:34
WL'ers can suffer through the entire summer. However, many WL people at Wharton are admits at other top tier schools so they withdraw. Honestly, there is not a huge difference between the ultra elite schools and a WL at Wharton means you stand an excellent chance of getting admitted to other great schools.

Good luck on the WL but if it doesnt work out, you all will end up at great schools if you put your minds to it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 19:05
Can someone confirm for me that they got accepted WITHOUT a call and JUST a status change email? Its bugging me to no end.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton (Admitted); Kellogg (WL); Ross (Admitted w/$$$)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 20:28
Sterny,

Yes, I also received a status update that led to the admissions page...yet didn't receive an acceptance call. After a moment of terror, considering the Kellogg foul-ups that have occurred, I believe that our admission status is legit.

I don't think that Wharton has repeated a Kellogg debacle. Relax with me and enjoy the moment.

Best,

M

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 20:30
am waitlisted too... :x the wait has just got longer...

Intern
Intern

Schools: R1: Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, HBS, MIT

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 21:29
Waitlisted as well.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Schools: HBS class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 21:38
Found it while googling... old stuff (2004) but shows WL to admit rate of 30%.

Quote:
Interested in your odds of finally being accepted? Many schools report how many students were waitlisted each year and how many students were eventually accepted off of a waitlist. For instance, Wharton placed 559 students on its 2004 waitlist and eventually admitted 173 of these students.

http://www.mbamap.com/mba-apply/mba-waitlist.htm

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:42
I expect this year to be different. The WL % on all internet boards I have visited seems very high.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:43
I'm admitted
that's a 10 admits for 59 applicants so far

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 08:15
sterny wrote:
So I got accepted, but I didn't get a call. Are there others here who didn't receive a call, but their status said accepted?

It happened to me last year. I missed their call, but I got an email saying that I was accepted. Did you get an email?

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2008, 08:15

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  67    Next  [ 1339 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, bb10, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap