Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg School of Management 2013
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
GMAT 2: 680  Q44  V38
GPA: 3.877
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
robertrdzak wrote:
I look at all of your profiles and I am utterly amazed, confused, and humbled as to why some of you were dinged while someone like me was accepted to an invite. I mean, i have a 680 this was my lottery ticket. While I'm still confident i will ultimately get rejected I want you to know many of you were extremely competitive candidates and I am completely confident you will get into a fantastic school.

My hats off to all of you!

Stats do matter to a certain extent, I think. Though you have a 680, you have a very high GPA that goes to show that while it comes to handling the academic work you would be fine. Once Ad-com is confidant of this aspect of your application, I think they care more about fit / what you bring to the table / your story, et al.,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey Jivana,

Do you have an idea bout the percent of applicants interviewed?

do you think that if you are a female that comes from an exotic place like north africa, you have more chances?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sara0009 wrote:
Hey Jivana,

Do you have an idea bout the percent of applicants interviewed?

do you think that if you are a female that comes from an exotic place like north africa, you have more chances?

Thanks

For the first question, it's around 50%.

For the second one, you might have an advantage but remember just your location or sex won't get you in. I know a few women, who despite their great stats and accomplishments did not get in at some of their Top choices.

I am not trying to discourage you, but trying to point out that do not go with the approach that every thing would be ok just because of those two aspects. Focus on the things that you have in your control.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I read soemewhere that it is around 40%...and in another forum that it is around 35%. May i know what is the source of the 50%.

Thanks!!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sara0009 wrote:
I read soemewhere that it is around 40%...and in another forum that it is around 35%. May i know what is the source of the 50%.

Thanks!!!!!

All these numbers you see, here, there or somewhere else..are approximations, not written in stone. The 50% is my approximation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Really doubt it's 50%. It couldve been if there was a massive # of invites sent yesterday but that wasn't the case. About 45% of gmatclub users got invites and a smaller number of the bw people. I continue to think the real rate is now closer to 35% at least for r2 applicants. People on these forums seem to outperform the averages based on the roll calls you see here. 

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Btw if anyone is traveling to Philly, I just booked through priceline and got a 3.5 star room for $57. Ended up at radisson Warwick and orbitz shows a room there is $143. I highly recommend priceline or hotwire. Google betterbidding to get more insight into how much to bid.  

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Concentration: Biotech
Send PM
Kudos
Jivana wrote:
sara0009 wrote:

Thanks!!!!!

All these numbers you see, here, there or somewhere else..are approximations, not written in stone. The 50% is my approximation!

FYI, rumors have it that Wharton is interviewing fewer people and accepting a higher percentage of the interviewees. Previously, Wharton interviewed about ~50% of the applicant pool and accepted ~30% of the interviewed applicants. Perhaps due to the leadership change, Wharton is supposedly interviewing ~30% and accepting ~50% post interview.

I don't have an ADCOM quote etc, but I found this post on BW to be quite interesting.

From a poster named drbad, and this was his/her only post on Feb 17th. It sounds a like an ADCOM person who got frustrated with many applicants' infatuation with stats. Take what you will out of it.

<<I'm continually surprised that this message board continues to place an emphasis on numbers and generally ignores the most important criteria that top schools look for in their candidates, namely: ability to secure a good job post graduation, leadership potential, and potential impact on the academic and social community.

Distilling down your chances for admission or an interview to a few raw numbers is absurd. As many have pointed out, adcoms look at applications holistically. While GPA and GMAT might be indicators of classroom ability there have been numerous studies showing they don't correlate to future success, which is at the heart of what admissions committees are looking for. Put yourself in an admissions chair and ask yourself these questions: does this candidates career goals align with his abilities and his background; how will this person really get involved at Wharton based on their background and interests; and does this person have the personality, charisma and maturity to lead global organizations or make a global impact (directly off of essay 1). If you answered these these questions in your essays you should be more than fine, more so than the candidate who looks good on paper but is looking at Wharton as another, albeit incredibly powerful, credential for their resume and is uninterested in contributing to their classmates' experience. Stop stressing about the numbers, the 80% range is certainly large enough to include everybody on this thread.

I have different information for some of the questions here. 30% of candidates receive interviews. Prior to interviewing, the full application has been read by the admissions committee and all interviewees are considered strong candidates for admissions. After the interview, the admissions committee removes all the interviewees that did poorly and makes decisions on the class.>>
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Biotech
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
Toymba and mTORC1 - since you guys recently joined the forum and are contributing to the Wharton thread, let us know if you want to be added to the roll call and if you have received W interviews.

Sorry, I applied R2 and received an interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance &amp; Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
i had my interview today with an alumna and she was really nice, i enjoyed hearing her story and she didn't have the big huge intimidating background that we like to purport wharton is always looking for, this made me become more at ease. i think the interview went well, it lasted about 1hr 20mins, lots of conversation...now all i can do is wait.

edit: and i wish there was some consistency in the approx # of candidates invited to interview, i keep seeing the percentage went down elsewhere, but on here people still talk about 50%...this is why i stopped logging in - these forums are gonna drive me crazy and i'm too cool for that :lol:

Originally posted by 2012dreams on 19 Feb 2010, 11:59.
Last edited by 2012dreams on 19 Feb 2010, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton/Lauder, Booth (admitted with $$)
 Q47  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
please update my status on the roll call page as invited to interview (wharton/lauder).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
I had my interview this week, on campus with a 2nd year. I honestly cannot remember most of the specific questions I was asked--it was a really natural, conversational interview, even though she did ask me specific questions. I was asked to walk through my experience up to this point and I do know that my interviewer didn't ask me specifically "Why MBA?" or "Why Wharton?" at least not in those words. Rather many of the questions I was asked added up to answer those questions in a less direct way. I prepared by being ready to give answers to questions I'd seen on Accepted.com, on this forum, and on Clear Admit and I definitely felt prepared, even though I do remember being surprised by a few questions (ones I hadn't seen posted anywhere), I think one about how I deal with highly-charged, competitive situations.

Anyway--I felt prepared and it went REALLY fast but I definitely thought my interviewer got a clear picture of me and why I want to go to Wharton and why I would be good for the school in the time allotted and with the questions asked.

Good luck to everyone who has an interview. If you didn't get one--good luck with all of your other endeavors or schools!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
edit: and i wish there was some consistency in the approx # of candidates invited to interview, i keep seeing the percentage went down elsewhere, but on here people still talk about 50%...this is why i stopped logging in - these forums are gonna drive me crazy and i'm too cool for that :lol:

Here's a link to a recent, few months old, alumni interview: https://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview

Look for interview no. 99 -- the alumnus mentions that around 40% of the candidates were interviewed for that round. For a 15% acceptance rate, the post-interview admit-rate is around 37% -- more like 1 in 3 like I mentioned a few threads back.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Here is a very interesting reply i got from BS from a well informed person.

'Sara,

Here is what we know for sure. This year, we have been told by a few sources (both reliable and unreliable) that Wharton interviews approximately 40% of its applicants. Now, is this true? Even if it is generally true, is it true THIS year?

The school would have reasons to stretch the truth of course, and there is no way to confirm any of this information. And to be sure, this number is still shifting around a bit, as Round 2 isnt quiiite over yet, and Round 3 hasnt even popped!

: )

But if you had to know a number, lets call it 40%.

Hope this helps!

Good luck to everyone,
'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
Send PM
mTORC1 wrote:
Jivana wrote:
sara0009 wrote:

Thanks!!!!!

FYI, rumors have it that Wharton is interviewing fewer people and accepting a higher percentage of the interviewees. Previously, Wharton interviewed about ~50% of the applicant pool and accepted ~30% of the interviewed applicants. Perhaps due to the leadership change, Wharton is supposedly interviewing ~30% and accepting ~50% post interview.

I don't have an ADCOM quote etc, but I found this post on BW to be quite interesting.

From a poster named drbad, and this was his/her only post on Feb 17th. It sounds a like an ADCOM person who got frustrated with many applicants' infatuation with stats. Take what you will out of it.

<<I'm continually surprised that this message board continues to place an emphasis on numbers and generally ignores the most important criteria that top schools look for in their candidates, namely: ability to secure a good job post graduation, leadership potential, and potential impact on the academic and social community.

Distilling down your chances for admission or an interview to a few raw numbers is absurd. As many have pointed out, adcoms look at applications holistically. While GPA and GMAT might be indicators of classroom ability there have been numerous studies showing they don't correlate to future success, which is at the heart of what admissions committees are looking for. Put yourself in an admissions chair and ask yourself these questions: does this candidates career goals align with his abilities and his background; how will this person really get involved at Wharton based on their background and interests; and does this person have the personality, charisma and maturity to lead global organizations or make a global impact (directly off of essay 1). If you answered these these questions in your essays you should be more than fine, more so than the candidate who looks good on paper but is looking at Wharton as another, albeit incredibly powerful, credential for their resume and is uninterested in contributing to their classmates' experience. Stop stressing about the numbers, the 80% range is certainly large enough to include everybody on this thread.

I have different information for some of the questions here. 30% of candidates receive interviews. Prior to interviewing, the full application has been read by the admissions committee and all interviewees are considered strong candidates for admissions. After the interview, the admissions committee removes all the interviewees that did poorly and makes decisions on the class.>>

on a related note:

https://hbsguru.com/blog/2009/11/17/whar ... -how-impt/

"If you nail interview, well that is better than blowing it, but it does not add super whole lot into mix, esp, if you were marginal, and other kids w. better stats but not Cary Grant charm managed a credible performance. Also, the W mix is complicated by fact that lots of interviews done by slap-happy alums, whom adcom does not fully trust (nor should they).

Another issue– and in the past– A TOXIC ONE, is the dead meat cohort. IN prev. years when Wharton interviewed 50 pct of all apps and then accepted like 25 pct of those, LOTS of kids went into interview WITH NO CHANCE OF BEING ADMITEED, even after Cary Grant performance. Lots of reports of GREAT GREAT INTERVIEW but still dinged. Just search for DEAD MEAT on this thread to see ENDLESS discussion of this, and not very effective rebuttal fr. Fanatical Fan (wharton adcom type) saying it was not the case, BUT IT WAS.

My understanding now is that post interview accept rate is up fr. 25 to sorta 50 pct, e.g. they are interviewing fewer kids but taking more (someone who has actual figures, which are semi official and floating around, pls post). That changes the dynamic a bit, in that MOST (I do not think all) interviewed kids are pzzble admits, but as with other schools, not all interviewed kids are equal, you come trailing your stats, pedigree and story,and after interview tizzy fit (of prep, event, and post-mortum) evaporates, AND IT DOES, those elements remain, and come into prominence again."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My interviewer (2nd year student) said that Wharton is interviewing less applicants this year (less than half). He also said that the everyone that was invited to interview is a in a really good spot this year. I didn't get the exact stats because I didn't want to probe too much and reveal my addiction to online forums. Just thought I'd pass it along...

March 26th feels so far away!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Wharton Booth
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 Engineering
Send PM
I still cannot get an Alum to interview me. Can someone tell me if there are still slots available for an on-campus interview in the first week of March.

I really appreciate it. Good luck to all...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  68   69   70   71   72  ...  105   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts