It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 14:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  
CEO
CEO
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 00:27
Fantastic ... my R2 application from Australia will appear like an Oasis in the middle of Sahara to the ad-com.

dosa_don wrote:
Interesting answer:

jacksprat__Guest_: Is the application growth mainly international or is it also coming from U.S. based applicants?
Rose: Both. Our domestic applicant pool grew at a greater rate than our international pool in round 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 00:32
bsd_lover wrote:
Fantastic ... my R2 application from Australia will appear like an Oasis in the middle of Sahara to the ad-com.

dosa_don wrote:
Interesting answer:

jacksprat__Guest_: Is the application growth mainly international or is it also coming from U.S. based applicants?
Rose: Both. Our domestic applicant pool grew at a greater rate than our international pool in round 1.

Nobody else on GMATclub from Australia or Malaysia. Good stuff there....
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 05:20
Round 2: Still working
Bherronp
Dosa_don
adc_away
Nervousgmat
bsd_lover
Helg
Max125
vishalsuri
CerealsMBA
KingKREEP
Poochandi
shmegs
bkk145
vchhaochharia
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:02
Guys I had my interview a couple of hours ago. Previously I had scheduled for thursday, but he needed to change for today.

The interviwer was very nice with me, started telling me his experience, that he loved the city, teh University and that he still keep contact with his class of 96.

Later he moved to the normal questions: tell me about you, why Chicago? Why MBA? Career Aspirations; etc. Asked about teamwork, and apparently he connected with me when I said my wife is an artist and that I really like arts and classical music 8-). He gave me several tips about Chicago, the school, USA, etc...

He then asked me if I'm applying to other schools, hasn't asked me about the schools, but asked in what place would be Chicago in my personal ranking. He asked about my GMAT score, Toefl and GPA, and talked about the quality of the faculty in GSB.

At the end, he told me that with what I saw in my resume and the things we discussed during the interview he thinks that my perspectives are good at GSB, I didn't even ask him.

In general I'm very happy how things went. It was better than I was expecting.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:16
And like a week ago you were PMing me all worried.... Feeling better? :)

Last edited by rhyme on 16 Nov 2007, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:19
rhyme wrote:
And like a week ago you were PMing me all worried.... SEE? :)

I come here publically to thank you for you support!
BTW your guide was EXTREMALLY helpful!

I was worried as I had no news from them, except from a "news letter" :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:37
I am surprised he asked GPA, GMAT and all that stuff. That whole what other schools is tough. I honestly do not even know what school is my top choice at this point...I am just hoping to get at least one invite then I hope to figure it out. At least I am not applying to the H/W/S so it wont come across as being my safety school.
VP
VP
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:49
riverripper wrote:
I am surprised he asked GPA, GMAT and all that stuff. That whole what other schools is tough. I honestly do not even know what school is my top choice at this point...I am just hoping to get at least one invite then I hope to figure it out. At least I am not applying to the H/W/S so it wont come across as being my safety school.

He told me that GMAT, etc, was out of script, and was a personal curiosity. I think he wanted to see how strong was my application.

I understand your point with the "top choice" issue, Although I fell GSB as my first choice, I'm only applying for shools I would really want to study at and that's the point. When he asked me that, I answered: "Yes I am, because I fell the timing is now"... Not sure if it was the right approach, but it was honest, as that is the point. All the schools I'm applying to are Top Schools, and I fell the timing is now, so I need to somehow hedge myself.

Good luck with yours!
Manager
Manager
Re: Completed Interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 06:54
vij101 wrote:
Guys,
Just back from the Interview.....
I prepared with the assumption that I would have a nightmare of an interview and it turned out to be a breeze. No tricky questions ...
We met at a Cafe at 6:30 PM. She introduced herself and we exchanged the usual pleasantries and she talked about her background and just asked to go ahead and walk me through the resume....She was extremely easy going and just allowed me to talk in a flow and interrupted for relevant questions
She followed that with a Why now question and Why Chicago followed by a how do you plan to bring value to Chicago.
She then opened up for questions and rounded up by saying that she will be putting in a feedback to Chicago and wasnt sure when I would hear back. She asked me to keep in touch and the we split.
Overall, a mellow and to the point interview. She was extremely happy about Chicago and talked about her various experiences.
I dont know if I aced the interview but I am 100% positive that I did not blow up. I am satisfied as I covered all I wanted to and all I can do now is
sit tight and WAIT............

Good luck to all who are interviewing out there

I had the same experience. We were going to meet at 5 but my interviewer got stuck at work so I was stuck sitting around waiting for an hour. He showed up and we exchanged greetings. He asked me the standard walk me through your resume question. Then he asked me for my GMAT score and GPA - which threw me off because I though it was considered a fau paux. From there I struggled a little bit to communicate my vision of why now because he wanted me to expand upon my explanation of just being a career switcher. I did pick it back up when we got into discussing 'why chicago'. I talked about an influential professor I had that went to the GSB, my interactions with the admissions office, going out to GSB Live, my interest in taking Prof. Meadow's class, and my discussions with a person in my career choice who went to GSB. We talked about M&A for a little bit and then he asked me about a time where i exhibited leadership and a failure I encountered. He seemed impressed with my anwsers to both questions. We talked about the AOL/TWX merger and he asked if I thought it was a good deal. I told him that it was ahead of its time and that News Corp/MySpace proved that old and new media could combine for 1+1=3. He then asked where I thought the Internet and Media were headed and I pulled out my iPhone and told him that the first 1 billion people got online using a computer. The next 1 billion are going to get online from one of these devices in places that lack infrastructure.

I talked a bit about Fama's class and how I heard to avoid it at all costs. He told me that it was considered one of the hardest classes at the GSB but he recommended that I audit it if I was interested. He opened it up to questions from me and I asked him about how he ended up in the DC area and why Chicago for him. I had a closing dinner for a transaction so we ended it there but he gave me his card and wished me good luck with the process. I feel like it was a 7 out of 10 performance for me interview wise but I don't think I hurt my chances. For the younger candidates, be able to clearly communicate the why now question because it will get asked and drilled upon. Sorry that this is a bit incoherent as I am rushing to remember everything as I prepare for a meeting. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 07:43
Round 2: Still working
Bherronp
Dosa_don
adc_away
Nervousgmat
bsd_lover
Helg
Max125
vishalsuri
CerealsMBA
KingKREEP
Poochandi
shmegs
bkk145
vchhaochharia
wallspotter
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 07:57
Guys (Specifically Rhyme)
What does this mean...I get this a day after the interview.

"Congratulations! You have made it to the second step of the evaluation process. In order for us to make a final decision on your application, we need all official transcripts from the academic institutions listed, as well as, official GMAT and TOEFL score reports. At this time, one or more of these required materials are missing. You can log onto the online application system and view the printable status report to determine what is needed. All materials can be mailed to: "

I know I need to mail in official Undergrad and grad transcripts and will promptly do so.
But does this mean anything positive....like they were satisfied with the interview or...just a formality.
please pour in your toughts.
VP
VP
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 08:11
vij101

I think everyone invited for interview received the same e-mail. It's just standard procedure I think...
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 08:31
kwam wrote:
vij101

I think everyone invited for interview received the same e-mail. It's just standard procedure I think...

I thought so too...........but you know the excitement makes you thinks otherwise..esp a email that reads as "Chicago GSB".

Lets all Wait !
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 17:24
got that email before my interview.. did not even check my computer, and I was carrying around my transcripts in school. could have submitted them immediately.. oh well..

my interview was sort of a disaster.. it is for u guys to judge whether it was a diaster or not.. me i felt... it kinda was.

it was an on campus interview.. should last 30 minutes.. mine lasted 1 hour...

ok this is how it started.

interviewer..on campus 2nd yr student...

right off the bat.. he told me he didnt want any thank u emails... gave me his business card..
then he asked me gmat score..told him

he had read my resume and scribbled paragraphs across it... i was already sweating while i saw all this.. and the interview had not started yet..

he did not make me walk through my resume.. but asked straight off.. why mba.. why now...

why do mba when i have 2 masters degrees...(expected that.. prepared for it)
he asked me about my career goals.. and my career switch.. poked so many holes in it.. (he was going into that field and already had a job offer).. after I answered his questions..I felt my ship had sunk.. he did not appear convinced....

asked how i will help the GSB community.. gave my answer.. he then told me that my answer was the de facto of what was expected from GSB students ..what I will do beyond that... i told him about some ideas I had for GSB students...

he asked me why i ride motorcycles..and do surfing.. I was in the best of my business dress (even tamed my fauxhawk)...yet I guess I gave him the laid back surfer vibe.. did not think he liked the idea of a GSBer being a surfer.. told me there are no surfing spots in Chicago..

then he went back into why mba and why gsb.. gave him my prepared answer... he asked which other schools.. gave the speech suggested by Rhyme.. then he said.. chicago is not the only finance powerhouse.. columbia and wharton are also there... i was trapped.. i had not applied to wharton and my columbia app is waitlisted.. so i told him that those schools are not my fit.. i met current students and alum and worked with one current student and i could not connect with them...i felt the schools promoted a very competitive and rigid environment and after visiting GSB, I felt that it was the school for me.. correct fit... talked about the dozens of students i met and interacted.. told him i went to TNDC...

he looked a bit fazed as he asked me "you were there"...i said yes.. i think he did not expect that.. but his facial expressions were so fixed after that.. i did not know if mentioning TNDC was a good or bad thing.

(at this time, my throat went dry.. and i was seeing visions of me in a torn pant running towards the mexican border, which I feel I will do eventually)...he did not look convinced

he then told me it was hard for him to understand how i moved from civil engineering to finance services.. what was the underlying theme.. i told him that i did operations research... and it was the connector.. the look on his face was questionable.. so i tried to explain what OR was.. he told me he knew it and took it in undergrad.. at that point.. i was wondering what to do.. changed gears and moved forward..

talked about clubs, what conflicts/challenges i faced at work...

then he asked me about community services i did.. i told him about the little stuff i did..beach cleaning, habitat for humanity, food drive.. crappy things that i did once or twice in a year and not worth mentioning in essays..

he asked me what personal thing i like to do.. i told him about my voluntary motorcycle lessons i offer to new riders...

throughout the whole interview.. i felt that he pressurized me a lot and tried to upset my apple cart, but the pimp i am.. i was smiling like an idiot most of the time and not showing that i was nervous.. he offered me a bottle of water and told me to drink.. i passed the offer saying i was ok.

i talked about my multicultural background and how my diversity would add to gsb.. he said there are many students like that.. i am not the only one....at this time i could feel the soldier in me going.. retreat retreat.. this is a debacle..i went on...

the interview ended and i just felt that i had not connected or interested the interviewer.. he asked me a last question.. asked me to talk about something not written on my resume..

i told him about how i lost my money and belongings in thailand.. and i worked as a volunteer near Phuket to rebuild a hotel after the Tsunami, learnt about Thai culture.. blash blah blah.....and earned money to go back..

my interviewer kept a very dead-panned look on his face.. he must have smiled 2 times at the most while being the friendly moron i was.. i was always smiling..

the interview being over.. he shook my hand ..told me that he will submit his evaluation to ad-com.. along with his evaluation and my app package.. the ad-com will evaluate me again (basic stuff).. but the way he said it and his body language.. he kinda wanted to tell me "dude go back to surfer land.. my evaluation wont allow u to get into GSB"....

i may be overthinking and hypperventilating now.. but lets see.

for those of u who read this post.. hope me luck as I decide to move to Cancun to sell coconuts... and if luck persists further south to medelin.. to ahem.. try my hand in contraband pharmaceuticals....

for the rest of the GSB interview applicants.. all the best.. I always get the short end of the stick.. so do not judge my post as something that will happen to u ...

I met a ton of GSB students and most are very cool... .....i just had a poor draw...

or maybe my interview went well and i do not realize it....

Ok..one school down.. 2 more to go.. and heard nothing from them..
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 17:42
Someone posted a similar interview experience last year on clearadmits wiki, that person ended up being accepted. I am guessing he saw you as a very good applicant and wanted to see if he could break you. Its great that you didn't play into his trap, I bet he will give the adcom a positive eval. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 17:44
aviroop,

man now I have 2nd thought on going on campus for the interview. I hope he doesn't interview me. Can you give us his initial, so we an watch out if he happens to be our interviewer?
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 17:58
I do not wish to divulge the identity of the person so I will not post any initials or stuff like that.. dont get me wrong, I am not hoping that your interview goes bad like mine. but this is a public forum and I do not want to post anyone's identity..

But to appease u ... u can prepare for all sorts of eventualities but you do not know who is going to interview you...and its not that the same person who interviewed me will interview you or behave like he/she did with me....

The interview is just a data point.. dont feel intimidated...

some pointers....

1. GSB does a very good job in on campus interviews.. there is actually a first year student who sits in the waiting lounge.. acting as a "comfort counselor" so if u r feeling nervous, have questions, want to know what questions can be expected... you can ask him/her.. i felt its a great thing to do...so talk to him/her to lighten up.

2. 2ndyr students are always going to be hard on interviewees.. they already went thru the mba process, they have a clearer idea of whats they want.. so you should expect some grilling..I expected 30 minutes.. i got 1 hour... i was prepared for the grilling ..did not expect it to be that long.

3. some interviewers as forcefeed said will try to intimidate u purposefully.. as long as u dont verbally abuse him/her.. u r ok..breaking down/feeling nervous is a natural thing.. I have had too many setbacks in life.. and I am also quite jaded to being intimidated ,,,but I still felt nervous.. MBA interviews are not a monthly event so its ok.

good luck on your interview.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:11
aviroop, sorry to hear about your bad experience. your interview went on for 1 hr!?!? i thought it was a strict 30 minutes.

im really worried now about doing an on-campus one instead of with an alum
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:17
mine went on for an hour.. coz either the interviewer wanted to grill me as much as possible....

or it is friday.. my interview was scheduled for the last ..3 45 to 4 30.. started at 3 45 sharp.. finished at 4 45.. i guess being the last in an interview and that too on a friday...the interviewer has time on his hands
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:33
aviroop wrote:
mine went on for an hour.. coz either the interviewer wanted to grill me as much as possible....

or it is friday.. my interview was scheduled for the last ..3 45 to 4 30.. started at 3 45 sharp.. finished at 4 45.. i guess being the last in an interview and that too on a friday...the interviewer has time on his hands

Dude ........take it from me...you are getting IN at GSB....
Just a couple of pointers:
The fact that your interview lasted for an hour is the most positive thing. Had be been not interested, he would have cut you short right away.

I have spoken with one of the most hostile GSB alum you can ever meet when I was doing research on the programs. In the end, he said that he was purposefully hostile as he just wanted to shake me up and find out everything about me.

2nd year MBA students are trained to be deadpan and that does not alter your value as an applicant.

Just believe in you man.....
  [#permalink] 16 Nov 2007, 18:33

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  25   26   27   28   29  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap