It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 10:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:37
Avi, I don't think you had a 'bad' interview. You just had a 'stress' interview. You got it right, the interviewer was probably trying to unsettle and provoke you. From what I read, it looks like you handled it ok. I thought stress interviews were becoming less popular....
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:42
I agree with KK. The "want some water" question is a giveaway. avi, this was nothing more than a stress interview.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 19:27
KingKREEP wrote:
Avi, I don't think you had a 'bad' interview. You just had a 'stress' interview. You got it right, the interviewer was probably trying to unsettle and provoke you. From what I read, it looks like you handled it ok. I thought stress interviews were becoming less popular....

Agreed. Most of all, i think you did well cause it lasted an hour. Think about it... this guy had spent the entire day interviewing... to NOT run for the door at 4.30 (as scheduled) and go home (esp since its Friday!!) means you had something worth listening to.
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 19:32
I have done a lot of interviewing at work. The guys we torture the longest are almost always the ones we are most interested in bringing to the team.
VP
VP
Reviews Badge
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2007, 19:53
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I had a similar experience during the over-the-phone interview with a 2nd year student at Ross. Although my interview lasted 30 minutes (mostly because I rounded it up by stopping asking questions), I felt as if I was interrogated. I was asked the same question 10 different ways, e.g. Why Ross? Why not other schools? What do you see in Ross' curriculum that would help you achieve your goal? How does Ross' learning environment fit your learning style? How would you contribute to Ross? What clubs would you want to participate in? How would you achieve your goal of developing leadership skills in Ross MBA?

What do you guys make of this? Was my interviewer not convinced by my desire to join Ross or what?
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2007, 00:18
nervous .. same situation here....
my interviewer tried to ask me why this division in financial services and why not that... what is so special about the division I want to choose.. he went far as to ask me where would I work in financial services.. (i got crafty..told him short term in NY..long term Hong Kong or Mumbai..since my career goals are tied to the Asian region)...point is he went too far and asked too many detailed questions...

update.. i went to a party with 2nd yr gsb students and some students told me that the interviewer is a bit abrasive in nature.. they agreed that he is a lil "square" and odd.. so i am either doomed.. or i impressed the guy.

going back to what nervous posted.. i had similar experiences.. i felt i had answered everything... but i was definitely demanded more... so it may be that I failed to convince the person, or as the generous members of this forum who have supported and cheered me with their hearts are suggesting that the interviewer was interested in me and wanted to push me further.

nervous.. based on my and your experience.. we wont know anything until we hear the ding or get the phone call...

rhyme said something very valuable and correct today.. i met him for lunch and spent 3 hours talking to the MAN... guys and gals.. rhyme is awesome...he took time off from his hectic schedule to meet me.. help me out.. and even gave me a lift to downtown Chicago...if u r in chicago, meet rhyme and buy him a beer keg.. thats the least u can do for him (rhyme, i hope u read this, so that next time i meet u, lunch is on me)

i digress but what rhyme said is...just be yourself and go with the flow..
end of the day.. once the dice rolls.. the dice rolls...

alrite future GSBers..best of luck... godspeed..
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2007, 05:17
I too got the chance to meet Rhyme for some time last week. Was a bit of a shock, to put a picture to someone that you feel you really know!

Spent short, but quality time with him. He is really relaxed, down to earth and even funnier in person. I agree with the previous post, the next time I am in Chicago, drinks are on me!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2007, 06:26
Awwwwwww now I feel all warm and fuzzy. Thanks for the kind words.

Aviroop, I actually felt pretty bad about yesterday cause I didn't have a lot of advice to give you other than the standard be yourself (even if I believe it), kept doing other things while we chatted, made you sit next to me while I networked with that girl and then left you reading the paper for an hour while I debated an econ problem with my team. Even on the car ride back, I ended up talking about case interviews rather than something more valuable for you. Basically, by the time I got home I felt pretty bad about how well I played host.

The reason I bring it up is to extrapolate a point - I thought I did a pretty poor job of playing host, and clearly you thought I was fine. (Assuming you aren't just being nice)... It juts goes to show you that what you think of your interview may not have any similarity whatsoever to what your interviewer thought.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2007, 07:22
Now you guys got me all paranoid for my interview on Monday.
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2007, 12:41
river... u will do just fine...

btw,.. this may sound odd but I noticed that for on campus interview.. (this is completely my hypothesis..not a theory, so feel free to shoot it down)..

GSB seemed to be pairing up interviewers and interviewees based on similar backgrounds/gender...while i was in the room, there were 5 other interviewees with me... 2 women, 3 men...

the women got interviewed by women intervewers (one interviewee was a consulting associate, the other was in non-profit in SF bay area)..i presume that their interviewers had similar backgrounds..(knew the 2 interviewers..same holds for the men.)..

so word of advice... be prepared to talk about your background ...now that I remember my interview.. there was a minute chance that anyone would have a similar background like mine.. yet my interviewer did OR in school..etc...

this is just a hypothesis of mine...

rhyme,
I was not at all offended by your actions. On the contrary, I was really overwhelmed and pleased by the fact that you spent your whole afternoon talking with us....(even while surfing gmatclub).. u introduced me to the 2nd yr student and introduced me to ur study group... I read the newspaper.. obviously I cannot contribute to ur group.. but I totally enjoyed ur company... even the ride back home was hilarious..your study mate's comments cracked me up.....so you scored top points in playing host.. and I am not trying to be nice, just being honest.

so yes ur point holds in this case.. assumptions do not always hold true..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 12:49
Mailing the official transcript. I still have one sealed in an envelope can I mail it directly to them or do they want it from my Undergrad (who takes forever sending transcripts).

I still find it odd they want an official transcript for just getting an interview and not having accepted anyone yet.
CEO
CEO
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 13:03
Some other schools (read LBS) want an official transcript even before they interview you. In that sense Chicago is all right. However, it is a little annoying considering they want a self reported transcript as well ..

riverripper wrote:
Mailing the official transcript. I still have one sealed in an envelope can I mail it directly to them or do they want it from my Undergrad (who takes forever sending transcripts).

I still find it odd they want an official transcript for just getting an interview and not having accepted anyone yet.
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 14:22
riverripper wrote:

I called them on Thursday, and you can mail it to them as long as it is still in the sealed envelope from your undergrad. They also seemed open to receiving multiple packages in case you need to provide transcripts from multiple schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 17:00
Anyone else notice if their TOEFL status for whether they are waived or not still has NO? Mine does for some reason and I was born and raised in here...one more thing to worry about I guess.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 17:16
riverripper wrote:
Anyone else notice if their TOEFL status for whether they are waived or not still has NO? Mine does for some reason and I was born and raised in here...one more thing to worry about I guess.

i dont think you have to worry about that at all. i believe it only applies if you were required to take the toefl, but got that waived.
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 19:02
Does anyone know if GSB is still planning on releasing decisions before Christmas? I know that was the plan earlier, but the high application volume might have changed things.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 19:14
forcefeed wrote:
Does anyone know if GSB is still planning on releasing decisions before Christmas? I know that was the plan earlier, but the high application volume might have changed things.

During the chat Rose seemed adamant that they would not be releasing decisions until the scheduled date in January. That may change but I am not holding my breath. I believe they release all their decisions on the same day...so it very well may take until January to sort through all the applications. They claim that they are interviewing 60% of applicants and its a very large pool this year.

I am still surprised that Admissions411 shows such a low % of interviews compared to last year (53% vs 75%)...though here we have a very strong invite percentage. I wish they said they only were interviewing 40% or something more along the lines of Wharton or MIT. Even better the 25% like HBS.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 20:01
riverripper wrote:
Now you guys got me all paranoid for my interview on Monday.

I'll hopefully run into you. There is at least one more person coming to campus tomorrow from gmatclub.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 21:00
All the best River!
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 21:26
Do official transcripts have to be in sealed envelopes??? My undergrad transcript has still not come yet. I dont expect it to come anytime until December 15, which means I will have missed the deadline..

I took my only official transcript, got a photocopy and had it certified by a notary. Also, I did not notice that GSB asked any student to turn in their transcripts before conducting the interview...

Also my grad schools have PDF transcripts and all I have to do is take printouts. That suffices as a official transcript and I dont have to put them in sealed envelopes...

Anyone know if this is acceptable?

Else tomorrow morning I am going to talk to GSB and find out..

River, best of luck to you.
  [#permalink] 18 Nov 2007, 21:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  26   27   28   29   30  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap