Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Can I skip studying Percents and Interest Word Problems? [#permalink]
Karishma and Janielle,

Thank you so much for your replies.

@Janielle, you see, I don't have a specific question I can't solve, it seems that I can't grasp the principles to solve those questions in general. After I see the solution, I understand it, but I can feel that I am not getting the "fundamentals" to solve any percentage-type question, so next time I try a new quetion I don't know how to start. And it loops like this all the time.

karishma, thank you very much for the links, I will check them right now. It's a shame I can't skip the topic so I guess I wil have to give it another go. Interestingly, I can easily solve interest problems, even in my head. But when it comes to other type of % like the ones that involve calculating percentages of X, Y without any concrete values, or "An epidemic is reported to have broken out in Florida. The number of detected instances of a certain disease is reported to have increased by 85% in the last year. What is the lowest number of newly detected instances possible?" I just don't know where to start.

Another question please, I noticed that word problems are more "popular" on the exam in PS format than DS. Do you think it's wise to dedicate most of my time to PS format on WPs? Or should I give it a 50-50 attention allocation for both PS and DS?

Ones again, thank you so much for your feedback!

All the best :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
iliavko wrote:
Karishma and Janielle,

Thank you so much for your replies.

@Janielle, you see, I don't have a specific question I can't solve, it seems that I can't grasp the principles to solve those questions in general. After I see the solution, I understand it, but I can feel that I am not getting the "fundamentals" to solve any percentage-type question, so next time I try a new quetion I don't know how to start. And it loops like this all the time.

karishma, thank you very much for the links, I will check them right now. It's a shame I can't skip the topic so I guess I wil have to give it another go. Interestingly, I can easily solve interest problems, even in my head. But when it comes to other type of % like the ones that involve calculating percentages of X, Y without any concrete values, or "An epidemic is reported to have broken out in Florida. The number of detected instances of a certain disease is reported to have increased by 85% in the last year. What is the lowest number of newly detected instances possible?" I just don't know where to start.

Another question please, I noticed that word problems are more "popular" on the exam in PS format than DS. Do you think it's wise to dedicate most of my time to PS format on WPs? Or should I give it a 50-50 attention allocation for both PS and DS?

Ones again, thank you so much for your feedback!

All the best :)

In percentage questions, it often works if you assume the value of base as 100 (in case there are no concrete values). For the problem you mentioned, here is my solution: an-epidemic-is-reported-to-have-broken-out-in-florida-142827.html#p1146177
It doesn't matter if you couldn't think of it as long as you understand it fully now.
As for word problems, they are based on concepts such as percentages, ratios, weighted averages, time speed distance etc. They may be more popular in PS format but either way it makes no difference. Be comfortable with the concepts and you will be able to handle both formats equally well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
iliavko wrote:
Hi everyone!

So long story short, I can't solve percent\interest problems (nº19 in gmatclub topics list). I get 95% wrong and I see no improvement what so ever.
I can solve many 700-level Qs like in number properties and some other topics, but word problems in general just aren't my thing. So
to avoid wasting time trying to get something that I might never understand anyways I am eliminating some topics from my study plan.

Do you think that I can skip the percent\interest problems and still get a good score? (by good I mean like 650 Q45+)

I also skipped Mixture problems, same reason, just can't get them, but mix probs seem very unlikely to appear onthe exam.

How many topics can you forgo before you have too many gaps that will prevent you from rising to the high level questions on the actual GMAT exam?

And btw, how many problems you have to get correct (imagine "10 out of 9") before you can say that you have control over a topic, so you can move to the next level of difficulty?

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this :)

Thank you guys!

Hi mate,
Welcome to that peculiar corner; between the devil and a hard place.
I suggest you embrace the devil.
It wouldn't kill you.
You can pull it off.
Yes you can.
go to www.gmatprepnow.com click on that silly topic and surprise yourself.
iliavko you can.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619043 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
iliavko wrote:
Hi everyone!

So long story short, I can't solve percent\interest problems (nº19 in gmatclub topics list). I get 95% wrong and I see no improvement what so ever.
I can solve many 700-level Qs like in number properties and some other topics, but word problems in general just aren't my thing. So
to avoid wasting time trying to get something that I might never understand anyways I am eliminating some topics from my study plan.

Do you think that I can skip the percent\interest problems and still get a good score? (by good I mean like 650 Q45+)

I also skipped Mixture problems, same reason, just can't get them, but mix probs seem very unlikely to appear onthe exam.

How many topics can you forgo before you have too many gaps that will prevent you from rising to the high level questions on the actual GMAT exam?

And btw, how many problems you have to get correct (imagine "10 out of 9") before you can say that you have control over a topic, so you can move to the next level of difficulty?

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this :)

Thank you guys!

I wouldn't skip. Many other topics which are not percent problems entirely have percent related parts in them.

Check below links for theory and practice on percents:

Percentages, Interest and More

Compound Interest Problems from our Special Questions Directory.

Theory on Percent and Interest Problems

DS Percent and Interest Problems
PS Percent and Interest Problems
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Can I skip studying Percents and Interest Word Problems? [#permalink]
Thank you all for your feedback, there seems to be a unanimous concensus that I should dive into percents head first, thing that I've already done and amazingly I am starting to understnad a few things. Let's hope the trend goes on :)

Karishima, Bunuel your links were very useful, thank you!

One more time, thank you all for your feedback!
GMAT Club Bot
Can I skip studying Percents and Interest Word Problems? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts