GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 10:45
Hello ,
I want to maximize my chances for admission , one option is to retake GMAT , which I don't prefer . :?
I thought about a second option : getting a professional certification in a field of management since I come form different background. For example ,Six Sigma Yellow Belt . Can this help ?

If so , please recommend what are certifications that don't require any work experience ,no project ,no previous education , in other words , anyone can have it after passing the exam . ( for example , PMP certification is bad idea for me because it requires 4,500 hours leading and directing projects , 35 hours of project management education )



Field of the certification is open , as long as it is business-related : finance , marketing , HR , consulting , etc .

Please recommend a professional certification , not certification for courses , unless it is from a well known ,respected entity .
_________________

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17236
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 14:52
foryearss wrote:
Hello ,
I want to maximize my chances for admission , one option is to retake GMAT , which I don't prefer . :?
I thought about a second option : getting a professional certification in a field of management since I come form different background. For example ,Six Sigma Yellow Belt . Can this help ?

If so , please recommend what are certifications that don't require any work experience ,no project ,no previous education , in other words , anyone can have it after passing the exam . ( for example , PMP certification is bad idea for me because it requires 4,500 hours leading and directing projects , 35 hours of project management education )



Field of the certification is open , as long as it is business-related : finance , marketing , HR , consulting , etc .

Please recommend a professional certification , not certification for courses , unless it is from a well known ,respected entity .


Hi! It is an interesting question. I would say certifications have a limited effectiveness in my experience.
They don't play the center role but rather serve as supporting evidence. E.g. if you are saying you want to switch into finance from Marketing or from tech, then getting a CFA will serve as supporting evidence that you are serious about it and you really mean it and you will succeed at it.

At the same time if you are planning to go into Tech or Consulting and you get a CFA, it is confusing and actually hurts you probably. Thus, get a certification that would help you with your career strategy/application and work towards that. If there is none, then don't worry about it. However, at the end of the day, schools are unlikely to trade your lower GMAT for an MPM or CFA or even something much less significant such as Six Sigma Yellow belt.

The recommendation that's often given by those who have gone through the process is - focus on what will help your application the most. Maybe it is crafting your story and essays or maybe it is retaking the GMAT or taking the GRE if you hit a dead-end with GMAT. Also, diff schools see GMAT differently. Some consider it a critical component and want as high of a score as possible, others look at it as a checkmark but most do have a standard and require a pretty high bar to clear (e.g. your name is Justin Beiber or you are a Syrian refugee who learned English a year ago and became a prodigy crypto guru). Not everyone is the same and some people really do struggle with standardized tests, but it is going to take a whole lot more than taking a 20-hour online course to stand apart.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 17:42
Thanks for replying ,
Quote:
They don't play the center role but rather serve as supporting evidence.

That's exactly what i'm trying to convey , a support to my application .


Quote:
At the same time if you are planning to go into Tech or Consulting and you get a CFA, it is confusing and actually hurts you probably.

Interesting that you have mentioned CFA , i was thinking about it . But i don't want to start a finance career , rather , i really have a curiosity about finance , i want to convey that i'm ready to acquire new knowledge outside my current field , and i will not struggle through the MBA program ,
so that's why i'm thinking about the CFA Investment Foundations program , it is oriented towards anyone who want to get a clear understanding of investment industry in general , not for specialists . (like the CFA cert for example )
If in my application i mentioned what was the reason behind getting that certification , and i won't necessarily go into finance , still that could hurt ? will my justification support my position and convey the attitude of curiosity and taking action to learn ? will that support my application ?
_________________

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1784
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 05:33
1
foryearss wrote:
Thanks for replying ,
Quote:
They don't play the center role but rather serve as supporting evidence.

That's exactly what i'm trying to convey , a support to my application .


Quote:
At the same time if you are planning to go into Tech or Consulting and you get a CFA, it is confusing and actually hurts you probably.

Interesting that you have mentioned CFA , i was thinking about it . But i don't want to start a finance career , rather , i really have a curiosity about finance , i want to convey that i'm ready to acquire new knowledge outside my current field , and i will not struggle through the MBA program ,
so that's why i'm thinking about the CFA Investment Foundations program , it is oriented towards anyone who want to get a clear understanding of investment industry in general , not for specialists . (like the CFA cert for example )
If in my application i mentioned what was the reason behind getting that certification , and i won't necessarily go into finance , still that could hurt ? will my justification support my position and convey the attitude of curiosity and taking action to learn ? will that support my application ?


Hi,

I totally agree with bb on most what he said. The CFA is a good certificate but it could back fire on you if you write in your essays that you want to go for marketing or supply chain. How do you think the adcom will perceive you? It might that you are a hesitated person without any plan. The application won't be coherent. They will ask: why did he consume all those hours in studying while he targets another field? The same applies for six sigma ....etc.

I will give other perspective of certification and seminars I attended. I live in country and I got certified from institutions in the US. This will give the adcom how I traveled seeking knowledge and experience. Also I attended seminars in different places like Japan where I used it for an essay in one school. I got this feedback once from an adcome when reviewing my resume.

I may encourage you to think in some certification in leadership or change management. Again, It is wise to think how those courses may affect you and help you to progress in you career.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Re: Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 21:43
OK , I should have been more clear about my career choice essay , the case is not i'm going to consulting for example and want to get a finance certificate .
I am having an open attitude , not definite career path , not finance or consulting, I come from non-business related background and won't specify a career field that i will go to .
So what i'm trying to convey : I don't have any problem with business , and here is a "foundation " certification , which is directed to anyone who wants to have a basic knowledge in investment , i will not struggle during the program .
So taking that into consideration , Can this basic-level certification still hurt my application ?
_________________

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1385
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 07:18
foryearss wrote:
Hello ,
I want to maximize my chances for admission , one option is to retake GMAT , which I don't prefer . :?
I thought about a second option : getting a professional certification in a field of management since I come form different background. For example ,Six Sigma Yellow Belt . Can this help ?

If so , please recommend what are certifications that don't require any work experience ,no project ,no previous education , in other words , anyone can have it after passing the exam . ( for example , PMP certification is bad idea for me because it requires 4,500 hours leading and directing projects , 35 hours of project management education )



Field of the certification is open , as long as it is business-related : finance , marketing , HR , consulting , etc .

Please recommend a professional certification , not certification for courses , unless it is from a well known ,respected entity .


foryearss pursuing certificates is a waste of your time, to be honest. If your GMAT is low, handle that straight on - take the average GMAT for the school and if you are underrepresented it can be a bit below the average, however if you are Indian or Chinese, would need to be at least 20 points above the average.

If you are underrepresented, and they are interested in the diversity you would bring, would recommend that you do MBA MATH do allay any potential concerns about your ability to handle the work. If you are overrepresented, only apply if you have an application that would exceed your peers in some way: international work experience, unique experiences, diverse background, unique perspective: some unique contribution you could make to the class. I recommend you consider yourself the rule and not the exception.

Keep in mind that the key to getting on the radar is to make AN EMOTIONAL CONNECTION with the reader, where they want to SEE YOUR MOVIE. So experiences that draw in the reader are important; they want to get to know you and those who are most successful in being vulnerable and likeable win at this game. So certificates, really do not thing that would move the needle at all whatsoever. This is popular in other countries, for obtaining a job, but they will not hold a lot of sway here to demonstrate the value you would bring to the class.
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1363
Re: Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 10:35
Hi foryearss,

I concur with the opinion on this thread. A certification is a good to have, not a must to have. It will add marginally, if at all, to your profile. And I don't see the CFA foundation adding any value from the MBA perspective at all. IMO, certifications should be done if they are a requirement in your job, if they will help you get better projects- that could be the case with a six sigma for example.

I believe you should take the bull by the horns- if GMAT is the problem find better strategies to tackle that. When you are willing to put the effort in the certification, then why not put it where you actually need it?
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Re: Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application? &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 10:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Can Professional Certifications support an MBA application?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.