GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Canadian MBA (Ivey vs Rotman for international student)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Canadian MBA (Ivey vs Rotman for international student)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 20:38
Hi All,

I'm an international applicant looking to apply to a Canadian MBA program either next year or the year after. At this point, I've pretty much narrowed my options down to Ivey or Rotman, and I'm hoping to use the MBA to do a career switch into something entirely different - venture capital if possible (not entirely sure how realistic this is in Toronto), but quite open to other options as well. My profile is a little unusual. I'm a biochemistry grad (GPA 3.4) from a rather unremarkable US State University, but I've been working with my country's foreign service as a diplomat for the past 6 years (I'm 29 now). I haven't taken my GMAT yet, but based on past GRE scores my projection is probably somewhere in the range of 670 - 720. From the stats that I've seen from Ivey and Rotman, I think I should have a pretty good shot in theory at these schools, but the only thing that I can think of that might work against me is my age - by the time I enroll I will be 30/31, which definitely puts me on the "older applicant" age bracket - post MBA employment might be a problem too.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts? :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Canadian MBA (Ivey vs Rotman for international student)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 09:55
It sounds like you are not Canadian. If that is the case, after graduating from Rotman you would have a guaranteed work permit and your spouse can work. At Ivey, because it is only a 1 year program, you would not get the permit (or that was the case when I looked into all of this).

I also believe Rotman to be the better school and is located in a better city with more opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Canadian MBA (Ivey vs Rotman for international student)   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 09:55

Canadian MBA (Ivey vs Rotman for international student)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste