GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 16:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Jan 2019, 10:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:59) correct 28% (02:10) wrong based on 1021 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.

(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.

(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.

(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary.

(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Originally posted by Taku on 26 Mar 2005, 00:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Jan 2019, 10:45, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
VP
VP
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2005, 08:42
"C"....we r concerned abt getting rid of few pests that go thro the caterpillar stages...."B" is not it, becose even if many of the paets don't go thro the stages, but we can still achieve our goal to eradicate the ones that do go thro those stages, as we r not out to eradicate all pests. Only C has a bad side effect of spraying.
SVP
SVP
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:41
I would choose C too. Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:32
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:27
jlgdr wrote:
Taku wrote:

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)

The OA is C for this question. It is in OG 12th Edition.

A Spraying would eradicate all pests that go through a caterpillar stage and so is more eff ective than
natural predators are. This statement provides no reason not to spray.
B Spraying aff ects only those agricultural pests that do go through a caterpillar stage, so this
statement is irrelevant.
C Correct. Th is statement properly identifi es evidence that strengthens the argument against
spraying.
D The need to spray repeatedly does not provide any significant evidence that spraying is
inadvisable, but simply suggests that the process will be more complicated.
E The mere lack of current production facilities does not mean that it would be inadvisable to
develop and use the spray in the future.
Th e correct answer is C.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 02:34
Let's break down the argument:
Juvenile Hormone - > Kills Caterpillars

Task: The answer should provide a reason that will show that spraying Juvenile hormone is NOT advisable.

The biggest assumption the author of the argument makes is that- Killing caterpillars is Good; or in other words - All caterpillars are bad.

This assumption if proven wrong. Will highlight a reason NOT to go ahead with the suggested plan.
We need an answer choice, therefore, that brings out some disadvantage that killing caterpillars through this method might bring.

Lets explore the answer choices:
A. We are not bothered about "natural predators" - this is out of scope : Eliminate
B. If this statement were true. Caterpillars will be killed -> some pests will be killed therefore. This doesn't bring out any negative consequence. Sure many pest will remain unharmed (because they don't go through a caterpillar stage - but the argument isn't bothered about this, and neither must you!) : Eliminate
C. Yes, this says that some beneficial insects go through caterpillar phase and will as a consequence be killed by the "Juvenile Hormone" -> this shows a clear negative consequence to following the proposed plan. This is the correct answer.
D. That several spraying will be necessary is irrelevant and is not really a negative Consequence : Eliminate
E. That large scale production facilities don't exist isn't a negative consequence either : Eliminate

Hope that Helped!

Ajeeth Peo
Verbal Instructor

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Register for the Free GMAT Kickstarter Course : http://bit.ly/2DDHKHq

Register for our Personal Tutoring Course : https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/personal-tutoring/

Join the free 4 part GMAT video training series : http://bit.ly/2DGm8tR
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 17:40

The key things to mention in the stimulus is ADVISABLE and GETTING RID OF PESTS THAT GO THROUGH THE CATERPILLAR STAGE.

So we can't get rid of just any pests. It has to be a pest that was a caterpillar. The word "advisable" also highlights why we shouldn't kill these particular pests.

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation. Irrelevant to spraying
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage. We are only concerned with pests whom go through the caterpillar stage
(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage. This is a reason to keep some insects that were a caterpillar
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary. No limitation spraying.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet. Doesn't mean we can't still spray
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 12:30
(C)
The keyword here is 'agriculturally beneficial insects'. Since many agriculturally beneficial insects also go through caterpillar stage, spraying this enzyme on the crop might stop them from feeding and eventually kill them. But since they are actually beneficial to the crop, this is not desired or advised.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 10:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2019, 10:46

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap