Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Certifications for MBA Admissions [#permalink]

ironman_97 wrote:
Hello!
Can anyone share some insights if professional certifications such as CAPM, PMP or Six Sigma would help my MBA application if my post MBA goal is consulting? Also, consideirng that the other components of the application are decent. 

­ironman_97
Presenting certifications in your application must have an objective. What is your objective? Do you have a low GMAT/GRE score or low CGPA that you are trying to make up for through showcasing an academically oriented mind? If thats not the case, just from a goals perspective your certificates carry very less meaning. Folks who have CAPM, PMP or Six Sigma dont necessarily make better consultants than those who dont. For those applicants who mention consulting as a post MBA goal, adcoms consider whether their quant and verbal scores are above the 90th percentile and both sections are balanced. Nothing more, nothing less.

best wishes

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. We do not cap discussion hours.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­­­
 ­
 ­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
ironman_97 wrote:
Hello!
Can anyone share some insights if professional certifications such as CAPM, PMP or Six Sigma would help my MBA application if my post MBA goal is consulting? Also, consideirng that the other components of the application are decent. 

­ironman_97 - I transitioned to management consulting post-MBA, and did no certifications pre/ post MBA - this is also true for most consultants I've known.

While certifications could give you a better understanding of some concepts, practical experiences (e.g. internship, consulting projects: at/ outside work, etc.) would add much more weight. For example, advising your friend or a small business on their strategy/ operations, and having an impact (ideally a success metric) would be great way to demonstrate your on-the-ground learning for consulting.

Needless to say, GMAT/ GRE scores would be higher priority. Other broader angles to building your profile as an MBA applicant are highlighted in this write-up.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like to have a deeper conversation.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet 
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
ironman_97:

As noted above by many, these certifications are kind of like additional skills. They're nice to have but far from essential. They will merely speak to your "expertise" in certain functional business areas.

That being said, the MBA admissions committee isn't going to assess whether you are more likely or not to achieve your career goals in consulting in general, and certainly not based on pre-MBA skillsets. That's left up to the consultancies themselves that have their own processes for evaluating candidates (i.e. the case method), but regardless, don't have requisite requirements for breaking into the industry. The AdCom is interested in why you generally want to go into consulting and, if it's a short-term goal, what that you will for you in terms of achieving your long-term goals.

Hope that helps,
Admissionado
GMAT Club Bot