Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [50]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1330 [9]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world [#permalink]
Bookmarks
i thought of parallelism after reading the sentence;hence i choose C. yes d and e are clearly out because of awkwardness or weirdness. I am not sure about the idiomatic usage that is referred above. Can somebody elaborate more on this ?

Thanks,
Vikram
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world [#permalink]
Kudos
Capricorn369 wrote:
warrior123 wrote:
(A) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(B) Correct usage of idiom. Correct usage of subjuctive mood - were it do so.
(C) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(D) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(E) Verb 'are' is missing. Incorrect usage of hypothetical situation, 'if it did'

Hence B.

@warrior123 - How Subjunctive mood is playing here. Can you please elaborate more on this?
I see the "were...would..." Subjunctive combination in B but not able to correlate.
Cheers!

@Capricorn369: Here is my honest explanation based on my understanding. I'm not an expert though.

If we observe the original sentence closely, the ',' after efficient has changed the meaning of the sentence. It implies that the agricultre is so fertile and the water reservoirs are so efficient, and as a result, the water does not overflow the land. Hence the usage of 'Otherwise' modifies the previous sentence implying that -" If water does not overflow the land, it would result in unexpected rise of surface water level and floods. In other words, it implies that there are two outcomes (both good & bad) because of the efficient water reservoirs and fertile agriculture. Hence this is incorrect.

The actual intention was to convey a hypothetical situation that, if at all water does overflow then there would be unexpected rise in water level and floods.Hence the subjunctive /hypothetical mood in option (b) correctly conveys the message. Also, please observe that there is no ',' after 'efficient'.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
In option B "were it to do so" here what "it" refers to, any idea?

I think it refers back to the water.

(B) are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; were it to do so,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
What does "It" refers to in answer choice B. Please explain.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
Hi expert,

However, I selected the right choice because of the first part of the sentence, and I know that the usage of subjunctive mood is correct in this case. Can you please rephrase the sentence "Were it to do so" by replacing "so" and "it" by what these terms refer to? I tried but failed.
Please help !

"It" refers to "water"; "do so" refers to " overflow the land".

"... were the water to overflow the land..."

However the above is not really a good construction - better would be:
"....IF the water overflowed the land..." OR "....If it did so...."

Note that in GMAT the if-then relation is generally not depicted in the following way, though such usage is often found in other sources:
Were I to go out, I would take an umbrella.

Better:
IF I were to go out, I would take an umbrella.

Even better:
If I went out, I would take an umbrella.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
This was a tough one.

D and E are clearly out, because they are missing the preposition or a verb at the start...making the sentence awkward.

Among A, B and C, I eliminated A because of use of otherwise and C because of use of 'or else' (makes it wordy). B fits best among the given choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
warrior123 wrote:
(A) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(B) Correct usage of idiom. Correct usage of subjuctive mood - were it do so.
(C) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(D) Unidiomatic. It should be Overflow the land
(E) Verb 'are' is missing. Incorrect usage of hypothetical situation, 'if it did'

Hence B.

@warrior123 - How Subjunctive mood is playing here. Can you please elaborate more on this?
I see the "were...would..." Subjunctive combination in B but not able to correlate.
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
"were it to do so" is a dead give-away. That would be the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
The basic split is between the options with verb and the options without the verb on the right arm of contrast "Yet"

C, D and E are missing the verb so they are out.

Between A and B -- A has the wrong construction of So X that Y, for this reason A is out.

B is the right answer.

Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

(A) are efficient, so that the water does not overflow on the land; otherwise,

(B) are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; were it to do so,

(C) so efficient that the water does not overflow on the land, or else

(D ) efficient, so that the water does not overflow on the land, or

(D) efficient so that the water does not only overflow the land; if it did
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
nilboy wrote:

Pronoun 'it' should refer to the subject of the clause preceding it. 'it' should refer to 'the water'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi expert,

However, I selected the right choice because of the first part of the sentence, and I know that the usage of subjunctive mood is correct in this case. Can you please rephrase the sentence "Were it to do so" by replacing "so" and "it" by what these terms refer to? I tried but failed.
Please help !
Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

(E) efficient so that the water does not only overflow the land; if it did

''yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs''
in the above parts, ''the agriculture'' and ''the water'' are 2 different subjects. This part is quoted from NON-UNDERLINED part not from the underlined part. So, this part is 100% legit. in this part, the TAG ''AND'' indicates to use a new verb after 'reservoirs', because ''the agriculture'' and ''the water'' gives 2 separate ideas. So, C,D and E are out, because they don't carry any verb after ''reservoirs''
Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state???s renowned towns.

Hi Expert,
I've a curiosity about the red part. In the red part, it has been written that ''Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world''. I can simply write the above part as below.
x receives more rainfalls than y.
Is it:
--->(1) x receives more rainfalls than x receives y?
or, ---> (2) x receives more rainfalls than WHAT y receives?
Definitely the original sentence indicates the second one. right?
So, I think, there must have a verb for any other site of the world. The correct sentence must be like below.
''Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than DOES any other site of the world''.
What's your opinion honorable expert?
Thank you...
nilboy wrote:

The pronoun 'it' directly indicates 'water' in the option B. This is the issue of common sense understanding. Thank you...
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
Hi expert,

Please help !

"It" refers to "water"; "do so" refers to " overflow the land".

"... were the water to overflow the land..."

However the above is not really a good construction - better would be:
"....IF the water overflowed the land..." OR "....If it did so...."

Note that in GMAT the if-then relation is generally not depicted in the following way, though such usage is often found in other sources:
Were I to go out, I would take an umbrella.

Better:
IF I were to go out, I would take an umbrella.

Even better:
If I went out, I would take an umbrella.

The correct sentence:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; were it to do so, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

If we replace red part by ''If it did so'' or ''IF the water overflowed the land'' , then the sentence would be flawed by wrong use of semi-colon, sayantanc2k. Isn't it brother?

Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; IF the water overflowed the land, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

Thank you brother...
iMyself wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state???s renowned towns.

Hi Expert,
I've a curiosity about the red part. In the red part, it has been written that ''Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world''. I can simply write the above part as below.
Is it:
So, I think, there must have a verb for any other site of the world. The correct sentence must be like below.
Thank you...

May i get a cordial response expert, please?
Thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:

Hi Expert,
Is it:
Thank you...

May i get a cordial response expert, please?
Thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

"Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than (Cheranpunji receives) any other sites."... this sentence does not make sense. The only possible meaningful construction is:
"Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other sites (receive rainfalls)."
Hence omission is alright.

However in the following case omission would not be allowed:
I like chocolates more than Madhu.
Both the following constructions make sense:
I like chocolates more than (I like) Madhu.
I like chocolates more than Madhu (likes chocolates).
Hence in this case omission makes the sentence ambiguous.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts