Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Deferred MBA Interview Invite - Do I need to retake GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
deferred2023 wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, eager to seek advice

Hi. I wasn’t sure I was addressing the right question … so let me know if I did not address yours. I was not sure if the test taking was to be done in the immediate future or a distant future.

PS. If you were guys thinking about a distant future, the admissions don’t care and that will not be a binding requirement or anything like that. They realize and understand that plans and things change. They also realize that if you retake the test and get a much higher score than you will be applying to other programs because it would be stupid not to… and you may not attend as the result.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Deferred MBA Interview Invite - Do I need to retake GMAT [#permalink]
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. So, to give you some context, I come from an ORM with a GMAT score of 730 (Q50 V38) and I just got an invite from Stanford GSB for the deferred program. I'm confused as to whether I should re-take the exam before the decisions come out, i.e., in the next 2-3 weeks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. Stanford is actually one of the programs that will take your updated score, we had an applicant last year with a 690… and she submitted it after the interview… she actually took the test after then interview 😱 but she was applying from Ukraine that has just suffered from a russian invasion and test taking was disrupted.

However, for Stanford, you are more than your background or your score. They’re not shy about admitting people with lower scores who are the right people…. Night scores don’t hurt though.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you with certainty. I may tell you it’s fine but you may get dinged. You’re probably not going to be happy with that advice. I may tell you you’re not fine and you’re going to get a higher score and still get dinged. Maybe you’ll be not as un happy with that advice but still not very happy 🥴

For the sake of regret, and since you have time, I would say it may be worth taking it one more time. The outcome is unpredictable unfortunately but if you have the time and the will to take it one more time, it may be worthwhile. Worst case scenario, you’ll have a higher GMAT score….

If you think there’s no way you’ll get a higher score then I guess you just wait.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi. I’ve learned a few interesting facts about the interview and happy to comment from the adcom perspective. Are you considering to retake within the next few weeks or months or years? I know you mentioned you would be taking the test in a few years. Is that the question?

So… there are a few things:

1. The way admissions works, they do a very cursory review between when you submitted your application and when they invite you to interview. This means they thought you were good enough to interview on paper but this also means that they have not evaluated you. Meaning, you may do an amazing job with the interview and still get dinged because they simply have not evaluated you.

2. The fact that you got invited to the interview, does indicate some positivity in the sense that you passed the quick filter.

3. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if you’re application will get through or not.

4. Many admissions teams will not accept updated test scores. I if you get waitlisted, you can submit an updated score but otherwise during the regular round, it’s kind of unfair. What would keep you from submitting a better essay for example?…. But this is not a black-and-white rule either. Are you considering taking a test sooner than 1-3 years from now? If yes, I would ask the admissions since you have an interview if retaking is an option. It’s not a bad message to convey. You could say that you are put together an application before the deadline fairly quickly and didn’t have the time needed for a proper test preparation and so you took it pretty cold and it’s not reflective of your real capabilities. Would they think it would help for you to perhaps retake it within four weeks or something like that?

Appreciate the reply man. Can you elaborate more on cursory review vs evaluation?

I am pretty much trying to determine if getting an interview means they are willing to look past my super subpar GMAT score or not. As an additional consideration, since I said I plan on retaking in the future (more details above), is there an expectation that I will submit a higher GMAT/GRE post-interview. There IS a tab on the portal to submit additional materials such as test scores. Not sure if they accept them for deferred or what the deal is but it's there.

Essentially, these are my questions:

1.) Does the interview mean they like me enough to look past my low GMAT score, and they will evaluate me on the same playing field as everyone else?
2.) Since I put plans to potentially retake in my additional info section (for scholarship money when I matriculate) in my additional section, do I need to do that or does the interview indicate they're cool with my score?

It's my dream program, I was shocked to get an interview, and I'm a bit anxious about getting my hopes up.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Chicago Booth Deferred MBA Interview Invite - Do I need to retake GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congratulations on your interview. Forgive me for being direct but seeing that my other reply did not provide the satisfaction of a short answer - allow me to be clear - the interview does not mean anything unfortunately in terms of being safe.

Your invitation to interview does not mean you have cleared a gate of any kind besides it was not bad enough. Getting a great job on the interview does not mean you’ll get admitted. I think it’s awesome you got an interview but I would set the expectations low for the time being. Sorry.

Taking the test in 2 years also does not mean anything to anyone. If you are not retaking it now, it is irrelevant for your admissions.

PS. Can they admit you with your subpar scores? Absolutely. We have seen people with all kinds of scores and even people with no scores getting admitted to various programs. You can get admitted based on the overall evaluation. Interview to the Tatian means they said some thing they liked but it doesn’t mean it’s only about the interview. Many people every year Ace the interview only to get dinged. People check statistics about the chances of admission after an interview and all that is good but the interview does not mean it’s only about the interview.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your interview. Forgive me for being direct but seeing that my other reply did not provide the satisfaction of a short answer - allow me to be clear - the interview does not mean anything unfortunately in terms of being safe.

Your invitation to interview does not mean you have cleared a gate of any kind besides it was not bad enough. Getting a great job on the interview does not mean you’ll get admitted. I think it’s awesome you got an interview but I would set the expectations low for the time being. Sorry.

Taking the test in 2 years also does not mean anything to anyone. If you are not retaking it now, it is irrelevant for your admissions.

PS. Can they admit you with your subpar scores? Absolutely. We have seen people with all kinds of scores and even people with no scores getting admitted to various programs. You can get admitted based on the overall evaluation. Interview to the Tatian means they said some thing they liked but it doesn’t mean it’s only about the interview. Many people every year Ace the interview only to get dinged. People check statistics about the chances of admission after an interview and all that is good but the interview does not mean it’s only about the interview.

I see, so it's a positive indicator but do not get my hopes up by any means. So do you think attempting a retake would be worth it at this point or that it's not a huge ROI?

I was looking at: https://gmatclub.com/forum/chances-of-g ... l#p1773237

Seems like a 700+ would only improve my odds by 10%. Or am I misinterpreting?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts