GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chicago Booth R1 admit application experience class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Chicago Booth R1 admit application experience class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 01:43

Booth R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

One of our forum members, stoiczoan recently got accepted at Chicago Booth in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

If you have any questions about the application process of Chicago Booth, now is your chance to get them clarified by posting your questions here in this topic.
P
Re: Chicago Booth R1 admit application experience class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 02:47
workout wrote:

Booth R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

One of our forum members, stoiczoan recently got accepted at Chicago Booth in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to interact with the new applicants, share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.

If you have any questions about the application process of Chicago Booth, now is your chance to get them clarified by posting your questions here in this topic.

Thanks for taking the time out! stoiczoan.

1. How much time did you devote to the apps?
2. Did you use any Consultant? If yes, which one
3. Do you mind sharing your profile?
4. Anything else you can share about your app experience.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 12:52
Thank you for the chance to share my experience workout and thanks for your questions KS15

Background
- International applicant, male, 2nd MBA applicant
- 30+ in age, 7+ years of work-ex in data analytics/market research etc (Mostly in India, Last 2+ years based in US)
- Undergrad in Arts, then MBA.. all from India. Ordinary GPA.
- GMAT 770 (Q49, V47, IR 5, AWA 5.5)

I was a re-applicant to Booth. I had applied last year in Round 2 and was dinged after interview.

1. How much time did you devote to the apps? Did you use any Consultant? If yes, which one?
--- I worked with Akshat Srivastava from 'My MBA Journey' and I would say he really helped brainstorm and zero in on the right career narrative and make a compelling case for a 2nd MBA. Booth doing away with the photo essay and going with standard essay prompts was a welcome surprise as I think it helped me present an entirely new application even as a re-applicant.

--- Since I had interviewed with Booth last year on campus, I already had a good idea about the culture, offerings, uniqueness.. so did not have to start from scratch. I worked for approximately 3-4 weeks on the app while working on some other apps alongside as well.

2. Do you mind sharing your profile?
--- I have provided a brief background above. If there are other specific questions, let me know.

3. Anything else you can share about your app experience.
--- Receiving the interview invite again was a huge boost to my confidence. I decided to go back on-campus for the interview (2-3 hr flight from where I live) although i was debating it initially. I decided to minimize future regret and give it my best shot. Alumni interviews can carry a little bit higher risk of variability.. on-campus interviews are more standard with 2nd year students.

--- A couple of Boothies who interviewed with me last year and got the admission were super helpful throughout the application process. They encouraged me, filled out support letters, and even helped with mock interviews. Their help and guidance was instrumental in getting me the admission offer. I have benefited greatly from the Booth "pay-it-forward" culture already.

--- The big difference in my apps this year was a more clear career goal and a much more compelling narrative about why I need the (2nd) MBA and why I need it specifically from Booth. Last year I feel my essays were very general with lots of flowery writing (for Booth it was the photo thing, and I think I did a shoddy job at it focusing too much on my "values","self-awareness" etc.. not enough on real experiences & skills). This time it was very crisp, to-the-point and every sentence was supporting my candidacy with real facts about what I have done, what I have learned, what I want to do next and why, and how I intend to utilize the resources at Booth to achieve that.

--- My Essay 1 was between 500-600 words and Essay 2 was between 700-800. You don't need to follow the same length, just use as many words as are needed to express your narrative and no more.
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 22:53
This is very helpful, stoiczoan

Thank you

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HEC '22
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 14:42
stoiczoan wrote:
Thank you for the chance to share my experience workout and thanks for your questions KS15

Background
- International applicant, male, 2nd MBA applicant
- 30+ in age, 7+ years of work-ex in data analytics/market research etc (Mostly in India, Last 2+ years based in US)
- Undergrad in Arts, then MBA.. all from India. Ordinary GPA.
- GMAT 770 (Q49, V47, IR 5, AWA 5.5)

I was a re-applicant to Booth. I had applied last year in Round 2 and was dinged after interview.

1. How much time did you devote to the apps? Did you use any Consultant? If yes, which one?
--- I worked with Akshat Srivastava from 'My MBA Journey' and I would say he really helped brainstorm and zero in on the right career narrative and make a compelling case for a 2nd MBA. Booth doing away with the photo essay and going with standard essay prompts was a welcome surprise as I think it helped me present an entirely new application even as a re-applicant.

--- Since I had interviewed with Booth last year on campus, I already had a good idea about the culture, offerings, uniqueness.. so did not have to start from scratch. I worked for approximately 3-4 weeks on the app while working on some other apps alongside as well.

2. Do you mind sharing your profile?
--- I have provided a brief background above. If there are other specific questions, let me know.

3. Anything else you can share about your app experience.
--- Receiving the interview invite again was a huge boost to my confidence. I decided to go back on-campus for the interview (2-3 hr flight from where I live) although i was debating it initially. I decided to minimize future regret and give it my best shot. Alumni interviews can carry a little bit higher risk of variability.. on-campus interviews are more standard with 2nd year students.

--- A couple of Boothies who interviewed with me last year and got the admission were super helpful throughout the application process. They encouraged me, filled out support letters, and even helped with mock interviews. Their help and guidance was instrumental in getting me the admission offer. I have benefited greatly from the Booth "pay-it-forward" culture already.

--- The big difference in my apps this year was a more clear career goal and a much more compelling narrative about why I need the (2nd) MBA and why I need it specifically from Booth. Last year I feel my essays were very general with lots of flowery writing (for Booth it was the photo thing, and I think I did a shoddy job at it focusing too much on my "values","self-awareness" etc.. not enough on real experiences & skills). This time it was very crisp, to-the-point and every sentence was supporting my candidacy with real facts about what I have done, what I have learned, what I want to do next and why, and how I intend to utilize the resources at Booth to achieve that.

--- My Essay 1 was between 500-600 words and Essay 2 was between 700-800. You don't need to follow the same length, just use as many words as are needed to express your narrative and no more.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Very helpful!

May I ask a couple of more questions?
_ Did you apply with the same stat (same Gmat score of 770) when you first applied to Booth?
_ Do you think the reason for your rejection after an interview last year was the interview itself or something else ? Im trying to understand how much weight the interview plays in the whole process.
_ For reapplicant, did you get new recommenders ? Or change up your recommendation letter ?
_ did you seek feedback from Booth first time you were dinged ?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 17:26
htkv0902 wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Very helpful!

May I ask a couple of more questions?
_ Did you apply with the same stat (same Gmat score of 770) when you first applied to Booth?
_ Do you think the reason for your rejection after an interview last year was the interview itself or something else ? Im trying to understand how much weight the interview plays in the whole process.
_ For reapplicant, did you get new recommenders ? Or change up your recommendation letter ?
_ did you seek feedback from Booth first time you were dinged ?

Thank you!

Sure, happy to help!
1) Yes, I had applied with same stats including GMAT score of 770 when I first applied to Booth.
2) Its hard to pinpoint exact reason for the ding, but generally interviews don't make or break the candidacy too significantly. The AdCom reviews your whole application even after the interview and will give you an admission offer based on your overall profile, class profile, career goals etc. My sense is that interviews for most b-schools are used to confirm or re-check the decision they are arriving at, and won't carry a weight >20% overall. I feel its the same with Booth. I interviewed on campus both times (with a 2nd Year) and I felt good about both the interviews.
3) Yes, I changed both my recommenders and roped in new ones. I think roping in new recommenders helped in providing additional perspective on my candidacy.
4) I don't think Booth provides feedback.. so I didn't reach out to them for it.
Re: Chicago Booth R1 admit application experience class of 2021   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2019, 17:26

Chicago Booth R1 admit application experience class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status