Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [39]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roo [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO: B

Actually, this one is quite challenge for me because i don't know what the intended meaning is.
The author can think in two ways:
1)
Savion Glover aims to restore ...... by doing 2 things
- Eliminating ...
- to parallel it must be returning
So think in this way, only E and C. Between E and C. E is more preferable. However, i think that both C and E are really awkward :(. because i think if author wants to convey the meaning that to restore by doing 2 things, he should use focusing rather than returning.

2) Savion Glover aims to do 2 things:
- restore
- to parallel it must be return - So B.

Between B and E, i know for sure "focus on" is correct idiom and i think E is really awkward.

So B is my final answer.

Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures and he returns to a focus on the feet as the primary source of movement.

A) he returns to a focus on the feet -> Savion Glover does 2 things: 1) aim to restore 2) returns to a focus. I think this is not the intended meaning

B) return to a focus on the feet -> Savion Glover aims 2 things: 1) restore and 2) return to a focus. Correct

C) returning to the feet's focusing -> Savion Glover aims to restore.... by eliminating and returning but awkward
D) returned to the feet as a focus -> No reason to used Verbed .

E) returning that the feet be the focus -> -> Savion Glover aims to restore.... by eliminating and returning but awkward
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [2]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B,

I was confused between A and B, but on seeing the comparison correctly marked B.

Savion Glover aims to
  • restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures and
  • he returns to a focus on the feet as the primary source of movement. [Incorrect Comparison]

Let us see which option has a correct X as parallel in restore and X

A) he returns
    B) return [Only option that is parallel and makes sense here]
    C) returning
    D) returned
    E) Returning
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 146: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures and he returns to a focus on the feet as the primary source of movement.

Sentence Structure
Subject - Verb
    Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to
      1) restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures and
      2) return to a focus on the feet as the primary source of movement.

Issues:
    We need a prepositional phrase which CAN be parallel either to restore or by eliminating
    However, the verb-ing form does NOT make any sense with the sentence.
    C and E Verb-ing from is NOT parallel

Answer choice analysis:
    A) he returns to a focus on the feet
      2 Independent clauses are connected by a mere connector AND.

B) return to a focus on the feet
      Better than the rest. B is the winner!

C) returning to the feet's focusing
      Verb-ing from is NOT parallel
      feet's focusing - focusing cannot be an inherent property of feet

D) returned to the feet as a focus
      Meaning issue: D states that SG returned to the feet as the focus in the past, and then he tries to aim to restore.
      Also, at times, change in tense is allowed in the same sentence.
        Ex: The Earth revolves( present-tense) around the Sun and has continued( present-perfect-tense) to do so since the Big-Bang.
      However, in this case, it does NOT make any sense. Unsolicited tense-shift

E) returning that the feet be the focus
      Verb-ing from is NOT parallel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roo [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 146: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Quote:

aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures(X) and he returns (Y) are not parallel

Quote:

aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures(X) and return to a focus on the feet (Y) are parallel

Quote:

aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures(X) and returning to the feet's focusing as the primary source of movement. (Y) are not parallel
returning to the feet's focusing as the primary source of movement is awkward.

Quote:

aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures(X) and returned to the feet as a focus as the primary source of movement. (Y) are not parallel

restore and returned are using different tenses.

Quote:

aims to restore the African roots of tap dance by eliminating hand gestures(X) and returning that the feet be the focus as the primary source of movement. (Y) are not parallel
returning that the feet be the focus as the primary source of movement. is awkward.

IMO B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO correct answer is B.

I was initially confused with parallelism between "eliminating" & "returning", now then i again found by the meaning of the context that these 2 can't be parallel; Savion Glover as a Subject taking singular verb aims & "to restore" to be made correct parallelism with return, which is present only in option B.

A) he returns to a focus on the feet - " he returns to a focus on the feet" is not parallel with "aims to restore the African roots...." - Incorrect

B) return to a focus on the feet - Correct parallelism used

C) returning to the feet's focusing - "returning to the feet's focusing" is not parallel with the item before AND

D) returned to the feet as a focus - Same as C

E) returning that the feet be the focus - Same as C
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
I have doubt pertaining to parallelism, for which I get almost all parallelism questions wrong.

In the case at hand we have aims to restore X and Y
but when I first read the sentence what my mind noticed was the participle - eliminating - the most adjacent one to and

So how do I know whether I need to maintain parallelism with this word or the main verb

Please help

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Choreographer and dancer Savion Glover aims to restore the African roo [#permalink]
I have doubt pertaining to parallelism, for which I get almost all parallelism questions wrong.

In the case at hand we have aims to restore X and Y
but when I first read the sentence what my mind noticed was the participle - eliminating - the most adjacent one to and

So how do I know whether I need to maintain parallelism with this word or the main verb

Please help
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM