GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jun 2019, 02:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:55) correct 50% (01:02) wrong based on 627 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.

(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them

Originally posted by RaviChandra on 16 Mar 2010, 06:05.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jun 2019, 02:56, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 11:43
LucyDang wrote:
Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.

Questions:
1. Which option is correct?
2. What's the difference among A, D and E?

Dear Lucy,
I'm happy to help. :-)

You may find this blog helpful.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... nsequence/

The correct idioms include
"so gradual as to ..."
"so gradual that ..."
"such [a noun] that ..."

Here ----
(A) correct, and a particularly elegant phrasing
(B) the word "that" is missing, so this is, in GMAT-terms, unacceptable
(C) grammatically correct, but awkward, wordy, and indirect; rewording to introduce the passive voice is not desirable
(D) not a correct idiom --- we need one of the idioms of consequence listed above ----
(E) grammatically correct, but awkward, wordy, and indirect; no reason to rephrase to introduce the indefinite pronoun "one"
Technically, (A) & (E) are both grammatically and idiomatically correct, and both say the same thing --- it's just that (A) says it far more elegantly, whereas (E) is roundabout and awkwardly wordy. Choice (D) would pass in American colloquial English, but it's not formal enough for GMAT standards --- it doesn't follow one of the formally recommended idioms for this situation.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2010, 21:21

ANSWER: This uses the idiom correctly. "So gradual as to be indistinguishable" is correct. We can say "His work is so famous as to be a cliché."

PROBLEM: We need something after "gradual" to segue here. For example "that" or "as".

PROBLEM: No reason to use the passive voice on "distinguished", because we don't know who is doing the distingushing. Also, "they are unable" makes it sound like they're TRYING to be distinguished, and can't do it.

PROBLEM: There's no reason to use "enough" here. It marks a subtle shift in meaning. We want to emphasize that shikts are so gradual that we can't tell the difference between them and ordinary fluctuations. This version, with "enough", makes it sound very direct, as if there's some level of "gradual-ness" that makes shifts indistinguishable from ordinary fluctuations. Finally, putting the not in there instead of the word "indistinguishable" confuses things. It would be weird to say "I am tired enough not to be able to stay awake on my feet" as opposied to "I am tired enough to fall asleep on my feet".

PROBLEM: Even worse than above. We still have enough, but we've also added an unnecessary pronoun ("one")
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 02:12

Questions:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 12:17
mikemcgarry wrote:
LucyDang wrote:

Questions:

Dear Lucy,
I'm happy to help. :-)

You may find this blog helpful.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... nsequence/

The correct idioms include
"so gradual as to ..."
"so gradual that ..."
"such [a noun] that ..."

Here ----
(A) correct, and a particularly elegant phrasing
(B) the word "that" is missing, so this is, in GMAT-terms, unacceptable
(C) grammatically correct, but awkward, wordy, and indirect; rewording to introduce the passive voice is not desirable
(D) not a correct idiom --- we need one of the idioms of consequence listed above ----
(E) grammatically correct, but awkward, wordy, and indirect; no reason to rephrase to introduce the indefinite pronoun "one"
Technically, (A) & (E) are both grammatically and idiomatically correct, and both say the same thing --- it's just that (A) says it far more elegantly, whereas (E) is roundabout and awkwardly wordy. Choice (D) would pass in American colloquial English, but it's not formal enough for GMAT standards --- it doesn't follow one of the formally recommended idioms for this situation.

Hi Mike,

When to use 'be' as a verb?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 12:40
kulkarnios wrote:
Hi Mike,
When to use 'be' as a verb?

Dear kulkarnios
I'm happy to respond. :-)

To some extent, your question has a tautological element: you see, "be" is a verb, and can't be used as anything except a verb! Your real question, though, is: when is "be" part of an acceptable GMAT construction? Well, many cases: I don't think I could list them all.

One thing I'll say is: "be" can used as an auxiliary verb, so it appears in the correct formulation of several tenses. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

It is also used in a number of idioms. See the free GMAT idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

To some extent, it depends very much on the individual construction --- what the sentence is trying to say, and what the most efficient and direct way to say this is. For example, in this particular sentence, it happens that the phrase "so as to be indistinguishable" is the shortest and most elegant way to express that idea. It's hard to give a general rule for what the most elegant solution will be --- it depends on the particularity of the sentence.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 10:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 10:24

Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first fro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics