GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to choose

• 29% [5]
  • 70% [12]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

first of all thank you very much for your support.

Situation: I got into Columbia and Booth and am wondering which school to choose or if I should even apply to another school (e.g., Wharton, MIT) for 2nd Round.

Background:
  • I am working for one of the top strategy consultancies and will have 4y of work experience (manager level) when attending business school.
  • Focus of my consulting studies is around tech / software.
  • Background is in computer science

Future direction:
  • I want to get a feeling for finance and thus spend my summer internship in an investment bank
  • Post MBA: If I like it, tech investment banking. Otherwise Business / Product development for a start-up or major software firm
  • Long-term I want to work in Europe

I hope this information is sufficient?

Thx a lot!
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 16:14
Congratulations! Great choices to have.

• Definitely don’t need to apply to any other schools. Wharton could have been an option if you had PE/VC goals. Given your Investment Banking goal, both Columbia and Booth will give tremendous opportunities.

• It might come down to a city choice - do you want to spend the next 2 years in NYC or Chicago?

• If i were you, I’d go for Booth. I visited Columbia a couple of years ago, and the facilities are really disappointing. I haven’t visited Booth, but haven’t seen too many people bringing up facilities as an issue.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wow great options. I really would not waste your time applying to the schools listed for R2 given your development goals. You can’t go wrong either way. But this really comes down to city/lifestyle preferences. Both big cities but there is only one NYC and if you want to intern work in nyc eventually you will be right in the backyard of the big banks. Booth certainly places well in nyc as well but as far as networking and really getting a feel for the industry you might want to eventually be in, CBS feels like it would give you a better opportunity to do so. The cultures of the school are also a bit different so def go to the admit weekends meet your future classmates and make a decision there. Follow your gut here it won’t let you down between these fantastic options!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 17:21
Done wrote:
Hi,

first of all thank you very much for your support.

Situation: I got into Columbia and Booth and am wondering which school to choose or if I should even apply to another school (e.g., Wharton, MIT) for 2nd Round.

Background:
[*]I am working for one of the top strategy consultancies and will have 4y of work experience (manager level) when attending business school.
[*]Focus of my consulting studies is around tech / software.
[*]Background is in computer science

Future direction:
[*]I want to get a feeling for finance and thus spend my summer internship in an investment bank
[*]Post MBA: If I like it, tech investment banking. Otherwise Business / Product development for a start-up or major software firm
[*]Long-term I want to work in Europe

I hope this information is sufficient?

Thx a lot!

As above mentioned, both schools are magnificent. You really do not need to go through the hassle of application process. I would lean to Columbia because accessibility to network and event is worth considering in this fierce field.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 21:53
If you have the time and energy, it won't hurt shopping for a scholarship potentially or who knows..... but my guess is you may have applied to a few other schools as well. There is not much pressure to improve the school options per se.

Otherwise, it is a great choice between the CBS and Booth. I feel Columbia probably has a stronger name internationally but Booth has been ranking very well and may be catching up with international recognition.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:03
all: Thank you very much for your insights! I will not apply to Wharton and Sloan then.

As I am quite surprised - not in a negative way - about the 5:0 vote for Booth, I am wondering if I am missing something?
Hence, I was hoping I could spare my arguments "pro CBS" and my concerns about CBS with you.

Pro CBS:
+ Stronger focus on Tech: Many tech firms have their second office in NYC (next to SFO); CBS has a reasonable amount of practical classes working with / visiting these firms; Columbia has a good computer science program with which I can cross-register, have joint classes and also use for recruiting, e.g., Columbia start-up fair (remember, I have a computer science degree)

+Chazen MBA Exchange: Columbia allows me to spend my 3rd semester at London Business School or Berkley. Depending if I like banking (summer internship), I could then build my network in Europe (London Business School) or focus more on tech and grow my network there through Berkley

+ Columbia has a stronger network and brand in Europe (/Asia).

My concerns about CBS: - they might not be the best indicators, still I am concerned
- Despite having the NYC advantage, a more restricted admission, a better brand .... Columbia does not manage to climb the ranks. Combining that with the felt perception here that CBS is inferior to Booth, I am worried that (a) a CBS MBA is perceived a MBA with a lower quality standard than a Booth MBA and that (b) the admits with several options prefer Booth, leading to a better student body.

- Network / Culture: I have the feeling based on my few interactions that Boothies really stick together and form very close bonds.

As always - thx!
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 17:21
Done wrote:
all: Thank you very much for your insights! I will not apply to Wharton and Sloan then.

As I am quite surprised - not in a negative way - about the 5:0 vote for Booth, I am wondering if I am missing something?
Hence, I was hoping I could spare my arguments "pro CBS" and my concerns about CBS with you.

Pro CBS:
+ Stronger focus on Tech: Many tech firms have their second office in NYC (next to SFO); CBS has a reasonable amount of practical classes working with / visiting these firms; Columbia has a good computer science program with which I can cross-register, have joint classes and also use for recruiting, e.g., Columbia start-up fair (remember, I have a computer science degree)

+Chazen MBA Exchange: Columbia allows me to spend my 3rd semester at London Business School or Berkley. Depending if I like banking (summer internship), I could then build my network in Europe (London Business School) or focus more on tech and grow my network there through Berkley

+ Columbia has a stronger network and brand in Europe (/Asia).

My concerns about CBS: - they might not be the best indicators, still I am concerned
- Despite having the NYC advantage, a more restricted admission, a better brand .... Columbia does not manage to climb the ranks. Combining that with the felt perception here that CBS is inferior to Booth, I am worried that (a) a CBS MBA is perceived a MBA with a lower quality standard than a Booth MBA and that (b) the admits with several options prefer Booth, leading to a better student body.

- Network / Culture: I have the feeling based on my few interactions that Boothies really stick together and form very close bonds.

As always - thx!

I advise you to pay a visit to both schools and get the sense by yourself. Every one can give you his perception because of different experience or network. You find many people in GMATclub from Booth or favor booth over CBS.

Btw, I do not see CBS as lower quality, how did you arrive to that conclusion?
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 10:18
my friends at booth who wanted to do IB all crushed it and landed at GS/MS/JPM or elite boutiques (lazard, moelis, PJT). you will have no problem getting the banking job you want and given booth's strengths, all the banks come to chicago so you don't have to worry about flying to NYC to network (just for final rounds).

booth has a strong focus on tech (polsky center, new venture challenge) and sends a ton of people into the industry (amazon hired something like 30-40 people my year). booth also has an exchange program similar to the one you mentioned at CBS where you get to spend a quarter at a school such as LBS (i'd argue it's better to only miss a quarter of your MBA abroad rather than a semester). booth also a joint MBA / MS in computer science degree which sounds right up your alley (https://csmasters.uchicago.edu/page/mba-mpcs).

at the end of the day, they are both great schools that will allow you to reach your goals, but as you have referenced, booth has been on the rise the past several years while cbs has been stagnant/declining. i disagree with you that CBS has a better brand at this point. people at booth are also very excited about the hiring of madhav rajan as the new dean (came from stanford) and believe the upward momentum will continue for years to come.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 11:07
CBS has a better brand name to the uninitiated -- which might help your international goals -- just because it's tied to Columbia instead of Chicago, but within industry professionals and within B Schools they're on the same level.

I would go with Booth though unless you really love New York. CBS facilities are one of the worst in my opinion.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 11:07

Columbia vs. Booth vs. apply 2nd round

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap