Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:34 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1781 [11]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Columnist: Some people argue that the government sh [#permalink]
Kudos
I fell for the trap, A: “at least as great as”, not quite equal to “greater”. But now, I can see why D is the right answer.

Let me start with an analogy. Warren Buffet buys many businesses and owns them. Does he run all of them? No. He bought Berkshire Hathaway, when it was a failing cotton manufacturer. If he finds a failing business, which is underpriced, he may buy it. He takes it over and installs the right management. So then, does that mean that Warren Buffet owns the company? Yes. Does he manage it? No. But can the business still be managed well? Yes.

D directly contradicts what the stem says. The stem says that banks that are owned by the government can still be managed well as long as the government hires competent senior management to run it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1875 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Columnist: Some people argue that the government should not take over failing private-sector banks because the government does not know how to manage financial institutions. However, rather than managing a bank's day-to-day operations, the government would just need to select the bank's senior management. Most politicians have never been military professionals, yet they appoint the top military officials entrusted with defending the country at least as great a responsibility as managing a bank.

The columnist's statements, if true, provide a reason for rejecting which one of the following?

The problem with this question is that it is easily understandable, however, one may have a hard time understanding what question stem is asking. It is simply asking to reject a choice which can't be inferred from the passage.

A. Commanding a branch of the military requires greater knowledge than running a bank does. - WRONG. This is true since passage uses 'at least' to suggest so to compare.

B. Politicians do an adequate job of appointing the top military officials entrusted with defending the country. - WRONG. This is also true as columnist take such an example and draws a conclusion based on that.

C. Politicians are not capable of managing a bank's day-to-day operations. - WRONG. This is true since day-to-day, specifically, operations are difficult for govt. Whether beyond day-to-day they are capable is beyond our/passage scope.

D. Banks that are owned by the government cannot be well managed. - CORRECT. This is not inferable since nowhere it is mentioned or suggested in the passage that a bank is owned and then managed - whether properly or not, it is not our concern.

E. The government should not take over private- sector banks that are financially sound. - WRONG. This one may give hard time among all. 'Not take over' is fine but 'financially sound' aspect may look out of scope. I'm still unconvinced with my reasoning here though.

Answer D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts