Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [285]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [49]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [32]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [7]
Send PM
Re: Commentator: The theory of trade retaliation states that countries clo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will try. my answer D.
Commentator's point is forwaded by the last statement, first if simply the theory. If a country follow the theory, it won't be able to trade (last sentence, considering one given conuntry), which means some of its markets will always be closed to other countries. Choice "A" is like a premise to "D".

B, C and E are simply out of scope.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [8]
Send PM
Re: Commentator: The theory of trade retaliation states that countries clo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
D it is. 1.5 min
Let's negate it. If all countries have all of their markets open to each other, then there would not even be a reason for the very existence of the theory of retaliation
A is an unwarranted assumption. Some countries may and others may not be practicing it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Commentator:
1) Theory of trade retaliation states that countries closed out of any of another country’s markets should close some of their own markets to the other country in order to pressure the other country to reopen its markets.

2) If every country acted according to this theory, no country would trade with any other. <-- conclusion

We're asked to find an assumption which will make this conclusion true - that is, why following the theory of trade retaliation will result in no countries trading with each other

The commentator’s argument relies on which of the following assumptions?

(A) No country actually acts according to the theory of trade retaliation.
- Does this help us hold up the conclusion? No.

(B) No country should block any of its markets to foreign trade.
- Not useful

(C) Trade disputes should be settled by international tribunal.
- Out of scope

(D) For any two countries, at least one has some market closed to the other.
- If for any 2 countries, at least one has some market closed to the other, then it's true that all countries are not trading with each other if they closed their markets.

(E) Countries close their markets to foreigners to protect domestic producers.
- Not useful

D it is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
i'm not native speakers
really can't understand this sentence
"The theory of trade retaliation states
that countries closed out of any of another country’s
markets should close some of their own markets to
the other country in order to pressure the other
country to reopen its markets."

would anyone kindly give me an explanation about this?
another, other, their market.......oh my god, which is which..........
and wht does "close out" mean :shock:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
courtdancer wrote:
i'm not native speakers
really can't understand this sentence
"The theory of trade retaliation states
markets should close some of their own markets to
country to reopen its markets."

would anyone kindly give me an explanation about this?
another, other, their market.......oh my god, which is which..........
and wht does "close out" mean :shock:

Consider small segments of the sentence one at a time:
The theory of trade retaliation states
Ok so the author will tell us what some theory says

markets

Let's say X is closed out (not allowed to trade in) to Y's steel and oil markets (Y is the another country)

should close some of their own markets to the other country

X should close some of its own markets to Y (this is the other country)

in order to pressure the other country to reopen its markets.
in order to pressure Y to reopen its markets.

Ignore the red part and then read. The red part is just modifying 'countries'

The theory of trade retaliation states
markets
should close some of their own markets to
country to reopen its markets.
country - X, another/other country - Y
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [4]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The stimulus is saying that a tit-for-tat approach will just render international trade meaningless because each country would close some other market in retaliation to the other country's decision to close some market. This process would then continue till all markets for each country are closed to all others, and no country would trade with any other.

For this to happen, each country must close at least one market to every other country to begin the chain. This is exactly what option D states and is therefore the right answer.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [5]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
My 2 cents :)

Trade retaliation theory says that one country should close some of its markets in retaliation if other country is also closing some market ( as give in question )

Now Commentator arrives at conclusion that if every country followed this theory than no country would trade with each other.

Now Commentators point of view : Countries are not following this theory, if country A has closed some of its market for country B then as per the theory country B should also have closed some of its market, and in that case no one will be able to trade, but that is not the case country A has closed some of its market and B is not following this theory that is the reason they are able to trade with each other.

Therefore D is right. Commentator assumes that country A has some market closed for country B, but they are still trading, bcz they are not following trade retaliation theory, else they would not be trading.

(D) For any two countries, at least one has some market closed to the other. ( but these countries are still trading bcz they are not acting as per the theory)
now relate above assumption to " if every country followed this theory than no country would trade with each other."

Option A's scope is wide and vague, No country.

Give a deep thought for 5min at least, this question is a brain twister, and option A and D appear possible choices.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Is not the second sentence an example of premise (mentioned in first sentence) ?
I faltered at identifying main conclusion here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Is not the second sentence an example of premise (mentioned in first sentence) ?

The first sentence describes the theory, and that is our given information. Remember, that this is just a theory, and we don't know whether this theory actually APPLIES to every country. For example, Country A might tell Country B that B is not allowed to sell any of its delicious fruit to Country A. According to the trade retaliation theory, Country B should retaliate by saying that Country A is not allowed to sell some of A's stuff in Country B. But Country B could easily decide NOT to act in accordance with that theory. They might be just as happy selling their fruit domestically or to other countries besides A, so B might not decide NOT to retaliate.

The author then says, "Well, imagine that EVERY country DID act according to the retaliation theory. In that case, no country would trade with any other." So the theory itself represents given information. The author then introduces a hypothetical situation ("well, what if EVERY country retaliates?"). The author concludes that in this hypothetical situation, no country would trade with any other. Countries would continue to retaliate until all trade was gone.

The second sentence is indeed the conclusion, but this conclusion is only valid IF we make the assumption in choice (D). It's a bit like the domino effect... if the first domino is still standing, then none of them will fall. If there are two countries that have NOT closed any markets to each other, then there would be no need to retaliate. Those countries might have firm policies to adhere to the retaliation theory, but if they are never given a REASON to act on that theory, then there will be no need to actually retaliate. The first domino is never tipped, so the countries continue trading.

I hope that helps!

Sorry, Need some further explanation. So, is the market retaliation theory not a premise? what is it then? Also, can you please explain why "A" is not correct?

the conclusion is "if countries act like this ..no country ..." rests on the fact that countries are actually following this theory.
(A) seemed tempting but now i see that if i negate A "some countries actually acts according to the theory of trade retaliation." doesnt actually do anything to the conclusion. what if option A "ALL countries actually acts according to the theory of trade retaliation." ? would (A) be correct then?

==================

Edited after rereading your explanation -

so, first sentence IS the premise and what autor says is the conclusion. But that will be true only if some country has already closed something, if they havent then the cycle doesnt begin. Is my understanding correct? also, i still can't go past (A), please explain that.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [5]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
krish76 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

The first sentence describes the theory, and that is our given information. Remember, that this is just a theory, and we don't know whether this theory actually APPLIES to every country. For example, Country A might tell Country B that B is not allowed to sell any of its delicious fruit to Country A. According to the trade retaliation theory, Country B should retaliate by saying that Country A is not allowed to sell some of A's stuff in Country B. But Country B could easily decide NOT to act in accordance with that theory. They might be just as happy selling their fruit domestically or to other countries besides A, so B might not decide NOT to retaliate.

The author then says, "Well, imagine that EVERY country DID act according to the retaliation theory. In that case, no country would trade with any other." So the theory itself represents given information. The author then introduces a hypothetical situation ("well, what if EVERY country retaliates?"). The author concludes that in this hypothetical situation, no country would trade with any other. Countries would continue to retaliate until all trade was gone.

The second sentence is indeed the conclusion, but this conclusion is only valid IF we make the assumption in choice (D). It's a bit like the domino effect... if the first domino is still standing, then none of them will fall. If there are two countries that have NOT closed any markets to each other, then there would be no need to retaliate. Those countries might have firm policies to adhere to the retaliation theory, but if they are never given a REASON to act on that theory, then there will be no need to actually retaliate. The first domino is never tipped, so the countries continue trading.

I hope that helps!

Sorry, Need some further explanation. So, is the market retaliation theory not a premise? what is it then? Also, can you please explain why "A" is not correct?

the conclusion is "if countries act like this ..no country ..." rests on the fact that countries are actually following this theory.
(A) seemed tempting but now i see that if i negate A "some countries actually acts according to the theory of trade retaliation." doesnt actually do anything to the conclusion. what if option A "ALL countries actually acts according to the theory of trade retaliation." ? would (A) be correct then?

==================

Edited after rereading your explanation -

so, first sentence IS the premise and what autor says is the conclusion. But that will be true only if some country has already closed something, if they havent then the cycle doesnt begin. Is my understanding correct? also, i still can't go past (A), please explain that.

Exactly! For any pair of countries, the cycle will only begin IF one country closes some market to the other.

Quote:

As for choice (A), I think you are on the right track. The author is posing a hypothetical situation: What if EVERY country acts according to that theory? The author doesn't care about who ACTUALLY acts according to that theory.

Consider the following example:

Scientist: "If every person in the world were to become a vegetarian, greenhouse gas emissions would decrease by 25%"
    Critic: "Yea, but not everyone in the world is a vegetarian, so you're wrong."
    Scientist: "I know that. I said, 'IF every person in the world were to become vegetarian...'"

The scientist doesn't care whether all, some, or none of the people are currently vegetarian. Similarly, the Commentator doesn't care whether all, some, or none of the countries actually act according to the theory.

Let us know if you still have questions!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bhai wrote:
Commentator: The theory of trade retaliation states that countries closed out of any of another country’s markets should close some of their own markets to the other country in order to pressure the other country to reopen its markets. If every country acted according to this theory, no country would trade with any other.

The commentator’s argument relies on which of the following assumptions?

(D) For any two countries, at least one has some market closed to the other.

Premises:
Theory: countries closed out of any of another country’s markets should close some of their own markets to the other country

Conclusion: If every country acted according to this theory, no country would trade with any other.

Note the extreme language of the conclusion - ... NO country will trade with any other.

What is the missing necessary premise? For no country to trade with any other, in any pair of countries, one must have some of its market closed to the other. Then if the theory is applied, the other country will also close trade with the first country. This NEEDS to be true for every pair of countries. That is why, option (D) is correct.

Note that our conclusion is about what will happen if every country acted according to this theory. What actually happens is irrelevant.

Again, what should happen is irrelevant to our argument. We are discussing what happens if every country acted according to this theory.

Not an assumption. How disputes should be settled is irrelevant.

WHY countries close their markets to other countries is irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Would you be able to explain why B is incorrect? I still don't understand, based on the solutions given.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos