It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1092 [1], given: 543

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:19) correct 29% (01:47) wrong based on 195 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed Nannerl), unfortunately have not survived to the present-day. However, there is evidence as a child she travelled between European cities with her famous brother, showcasing her considerable harpsichord and pianoforte skills. Had her work survived, it’s likely posterity would have recognized two genius Mozarts, rather than one.

Which of the following best suggests that the conclusion suggested by the composer is justified?

A There are diary entries and correspondence that have survived to present-day which indicate Nannerl was as prolific as her brother.
B Most of Mozart’s musical ability was inherited from his parents who were themselves talented musicians.
C The composer’s opinion is shared by most experts on the Mozart family.
D Women were not encouraged in Mozart’s day to become professional musicians.
E Mozart’s earliest contributions were on the violin, while Nannerl’s were likely to be on the keyboard.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1092 [1], given: 543

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8738 [1], given: 105

Re: Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed Nannerl), unfortunately have not survived to the present-day. However, there is evidence as a child she travelled between European cities with her famous brother, showcasing her considerable harpsichord and pianoforte skills. Had her work survived, it’s likely posterity would have recognized two genius Mozarts, rather than one.

Which of the following best suggests that the conclusion suggested by the composer is justified?

A There are diary entries and correspondence that have survived to present-day which indicate Nannerl was as prolific as her brother.
B Most of Mozart’s musical ability was inherited from his parents who were themselves talented musicians.
E Mozart’s earliest contributions were on the violin, while Nannerl’s were likely to be on the keyboard.

Dear SajjadAhmad,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I am completely charmed by the topic, because of course the music of Mozart is magical. Nevertheless, are you sure that you posted the correct OA? I was sure that the OA is (B).

Here's my analysis:
(A) There are diary entries and correspondence that have survived to present-day which indicate Nannerl was as prolific as her brother.
OK, so she composed a great quantity, but does that tell us anything about the quality? Many minor composers were able to churn out a large quantity of compositions, but the quality of all their works put together does not match a single Mozart composition. This doesn't guarantee anything.

(B) Most of Mozart’s musical ability was inherited from his parents who were themselves talented musicians.
If Mozart inherited his musical abilities, then it would seem at least plausible that his sister would as well.

BTW, (B) is not completely historically accurate: Mozart's father Leopold was a musician, but not his mother Anna.

I think (B) is a stronger answer. I don't know what the source says.

Finally, quite gratuitously, here is Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A, K. 581.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1092 [2], given: 543

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Dear SajjadAhmad,

I am completely charmed by the topic, because of course the music of Mozart is magical. Nevertheless, are you sure that you posted the correct OA? I was sure that the OA is (B).

Here's my analysis:
(A) There are diary entries and correspondence that have survived to present-day which indicate Nannerl was as prolific as her brother.
OK, so she composed a great quantity, but does that tell us anything about the quality? Many minor composers were able to churn out a large quantity of compositions, but the quality of all their works put together does not match a single Mozart composition. This doesn't guarantee anything.

(B) Most of Mozart’s musical ability was inherited from his parents who were themselves talented musicians.
If Mozart inherited his musical abilities, then it would seem at least plausible that his sister would as well.

BTW, (B) is not completely historically accurate: Mozart's father Leopold was a musician, but not his mother Anna.

Thanks Sir, for such a nice explanation, here is the reasoning of this question by the Publisher of the question

The correct answer is (A). If Nannerl had demonstrated considerable harpsichord and pianoforte skills on tours with her brother, then finding diary entries and correspondence that indicate that Nannerl was as prolific as her brother will tend to suggest that both Nannerl and her brother were geniuses and that Nannerl would have been recognized as a genius by posterity if her works had survived.

Answer choice B is not correct. Just because Wolfgang inherited musical abilities from his parents does not mean that his sister would have inherited the same abilities. Nannerl could have inherited traits (that were suppressed in her parents) from her grandparents who were not as talented as her parents.

Regards
Attachments

yh.jpg
yh.jpg [ 98.36 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1092 [2], given: 543

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Thanks Sir, for such a nice explanation, here is the reasoning of this question by the Publisher of the question

The correct answer is (A). If Nannerl had demonstrated considerable harpsichord and pianoforte skills on tours with her brother, then finding diary entries and correspondence that indicate that Nannerl was as prolific as her brother will tend to suggest that both Nannerl and her brother were geniuses and that Nannerl would have been recognized as a genius by posterity if her works had survived.

Answer choice B is not correct. Just because Wolfgang inherited musical abilities from his parents does not mean that his sister would have inherited the same abilities. Nannerl could have inherited traits (that were suppressed in her parents) from her grandparents who were not as talented as her parents.

Regards

Dear SajjadAhmad,

I don't find the OE convincing at all. If that's their logic, then this is a poor question. It's very easy for someone who writes a CR question to justify the logic of it in his head. It's much harder to write a question that would appeal to experts in general.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 04:58
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Dear SajjadAhmad,

Here's my analysis:

B can't be the answer.
if my parents are smart, I am smart. It doesn't mean my brother would be smart too.

I think it is bet A & C
if If I am saying things that are mostly believed to be true by authority. that strengthen my opinion too.
what's the reason to discard C?

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 11:39
abrakadabra21 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Dear SajjadAhmad,

Here's my analysis:

B can't be the answer.
if my parents are smart, I am smart. It doesn't mean my brother would be smart too.

I think it is bet A & C
if If I am saying things that are mostly believed to be true by authority. that strengthen my opinion too.
what's the reason to discard C?

Mike is correct in saying that this is not a good quality question.
I went with C.
if Most experts believe that the sister was as good as the brother , then definitely this strengthens the argument.
On the other hand " who made those diary entries ". May be someone who does not understand art as well as experts do. In this case A would not strengthen the argument.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:17
A & C were my two options as well, but I went ahead with A because considering there are no records of the sister's actual performances/pieces, how can a group of experts believe that she was as good as her brother? There has to be evidence from the time she was alive for the experts to form such an opinion- option A fills this gap.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 13:17

Composer: The works of Mozart’s sister, Maria Anna Mozart (nicknamed N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap