It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 08:00
So I've been rejected by Booth, Sloan, and Columbia (ED), and I'm expecting more of the same for Stern/Harvard/Stanford. What can I really fix at this point? I can aim lower but at what point do I reach diminishing returns on the MBA value?

Background/Nationality: 27M, White, Dual citizen (US and EU Nation), born in the US.

Undergrad school/major: Georgetown SFS, International Economics, 3.185 GPA

Professional Qualifications: 5 years running my own Soccer Website Startup - we're now the second largest website devoted entirely to soccer in Latin America with 12 million likes across our Spanish and Portuguese Facebook Pages. We're 5th, and just behind ESPN and FOX, in total sports coverage in the region. I also manage a farm and general store in Upstate NY with family, with significant income generation. Finally, I serve as a part time advisor to my family's main business, in which they needed advice on implementing changes to their product to be better suited to integrate with digital sales.

Leadership: Run my own business of 25 people (based in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and Peru), reaching over 200 million people cumulatively per month. Honorary Captain of college football team (though that's old news)

GMAT: 750, 48Q/46V

Extra Curriculars: Powerlifter (going to qualify for nationals in 2018), SCUBA/Free Diver, Marksman, Community Development (helped in building a clinic and running community events), Wildlife Reintroduction (funded and managed wildlife reintroduction and preservation efforts near farm)

Goal of MBA: Want to enter Media/Entertainment Consulting and build up corporate experience I lack, and the MBA itself will specifically allow me to build the hard skills I haven't practiced as much being in a director/managerial role.

Reason for Leaving Job: I'm in acquisition talks for the website, and an MBA would allow me to use the buy as a means of securing further education and positioning myself for a great job upon graduation.

Thanks for taking time to read this and providing your insight! I've actually used a consultant to tighten up how I express my goals, but I'm trying to get a second opinion here because my results are not great so far (I don't think it's the consultant's fault, however). What is fundamentally lacking here, and what can I do to address and/or change it?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background - am sorry to hear about the rejections. You have an interesting background, but there are a couple of areas that if you clarified would make your candidacy stronger:

1) As you mentioned, you need more clarity around your goals - specifically in connecting the dots in your story. What sort of a business are you running and how does that connect with media/entertainment? You've been running the soccer website, which certainly has media aspects to it - but how does everything else connect?

2) Your reasons as to why you need the MBA also need to be clearer. You're already running a business and are in a leadership role, so what hard skills in particular do you need? Why the MBA? Couldn't you in theory get those hard skills some other way? Business school is much more than just gaining hard skills.

I hope this helps - if it would be helpful for me to do a ding analysis, feel free to check out my company's website (http://www.ivygroupe.com) and let me know!

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks for sharing your background. Three things jumped out to me:

1)Low GPA
-You have a great GMAT which should help the perception of your MBA readiness but your GPA is still well below the averages at these schools, probably not a massive deal, but still a think, since GPAs are reported for rankings

2)Super Selective Schools
-You targeted the best of the best which means they are really competitive and tough to get in even for well qualified students like yourself, so looking at some other schools is the logical next steps as long as the schools will allow you to reach your career goals. Focus on that and less on the name

3)Story
-You have a lot of great things going on in your profile but it potentially may have come across as all over the place. You want to review your application and your past story and future story is super clear. Consider having someone unfamiliar with your read aspects of your story and tell you what it means to them

Hope this helps!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 23:20
42Danis wrote:
So I've been rejected by Booth, Sloan, and Columbia (ED), and I'm expecting more of the same for Stern/Harvard/Stanford. What can I really fix at this point? I can aim lower but at what point do I reach diminishing returns on the MBA value?

Background/Nationality: 27M, White, Dual citizen (US and EU Nation), born in the US.

Undergrad school/major: Georgetown SFS, International Economics, 3.185 GPA

Professional Qualifications: 5 years running my own Soccer Website Startup - we're now the second largest website devoted entirely to soccer in Latin America with 12 million likes across our Spanish and Portuguese Facebook Pages. We're 5th, and just behind ESPN and FOX, in total sports coverage in the region. I also manage a farm and general store in Upstate NY with family, with significant income generation. Finally, I serve as a part time advisor to my family's main business, in which they needed advice on implementing changes to their product to be better suited to integrate with digital sales.

Leadership: Run my own business of 25 people (based in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and Peru), reaching over 200 million people cumulatively per month. Honorary Captain of college football team (though that's old news)

GMAT: 750, 48Q/46V

Extra Curriculars: Powerlifter (going to qualify for nationals in 2018), SCUBA/Free Diver, Marksman, Community Development (helped in building a clinic and running community events), Wildlife Reintroduction (funded and managed wildlife reintroduction and preservation efforts near farm)

Goal of MBA: Want to enter Media/Entertainment Consulting and build up corporate experience I lack, and the MBA itself will specifically allow me to build the hard skills I haven't practiced as much being in a director/managerial role.

Reason for Leaving Job: I'm in acquisition talks for the website, and an MBA would allow me to use the buy as a means of securing further education and positioning myself for a great job upon graduation.

Thanks for taking time to read this and providing your insight! I've actually used a consultant to tighten up how I express my goals, but I'm trying to get a second opinion here because my results are not great so far (I don't think it's the consultant's fault, however). What is fundamentally lacking here, and what can I do to address and/or change it?

Hey dude!
Interesting profile you got there. It's unique, entrepreneurial, and full of great stuff. The only neg is your GPA, but honestly, there is nothing in your profile that would tell me that you wouldn't have a shot at top schools.

So my hunch is that somehow you messed up your applications - you aren't getting the most out of your profile, and there may be other issues.

What can you do at this point? Well it may be too late for the applications you sent in, but it's not to late to make a few more.

I would highly recommend that you have someone look over your applications and give you some sort of "ding analysis". then you can take a step back, re-strategize, and then move forward.

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation or if you want to look into getting that analysis done: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 20:48
On the face of it, you’ve potential for top schools, especially because of your entrepreneurial experience in building a high-traffic website. That’s an uncommon, in-the-trenches, valued experience, but that also warrants thoughtful explanations for why MBA, why XYZ goals etc. Probably those explanations aren’t snapping up tight.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 20:48

Confused - Trying to figure out what to do better

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap