It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1242

Kudos [?]: 1003 [1], given: 60

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 21:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:41) correct 58% (01:43) wrong based on 91 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards for food product labeling, manufacturers are misleading or deceiving consumers by their product labeling. For example, a certain brand of juice is labeled “fresh orange juice,” yet the product is made from water, concentrate, and flavor enhancers. Since “fresh” as applied to food products is commonly understood to mean pure and unprocessed, labeling that orange juice “fresh” is unquestionably deceptive.

Manufacturer: Using words somewhat differently than they are commonly used is not deceptive. After all, “fresh” can also mean never frozen. We cannot be faulted for failing to comply with standards that have not been officially formulated. When the government sets clear standards pertaining to product labeling, we will certainly comply with them.

Which one of the following principles, if established, would contribute most to a defense of the manufacturer’s position against that of the consumer advocate?

(A) In the absence of government definitions for terms used in product labeling, common standards of understanding alone should apply.

(B) Government standards for truthful labeling should always be designed to reflect common standards of understanding.

(C) People should be free, to the extent that it is legal to do so, to exploit to their advantages the inherent ambiguity and vagueness in language.

(D) When government standards and common standards for truthful labeling are incompatible with each other, the government standards should always take precedence.

(E) In their interpretation of language, consumers should never presume that vagueness indicates an attempt to deceive on the part of manufacturers unless those manufacturers would reap large benefits from successful deception.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1003 [1], given: 60

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 618

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 22:31
broall wrote:
Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards for food product labeling, manufacturers are misleading or deceiving consumers by their product labeling. For example, a certain brand of juice is labeled “fresh orange juice,” yet the product is made from water, concentrate, and flavor enhancers. Since “fresh” as applied to food products is commonly understood to mean pure and unprocessed, labeling that orange juice “fresh” is unquestionably deceptive.

Manufacturer: Using words somewhat differently than they are commonly used is not deceptive. After all, “fresh” can also mean never frozen. We cannot be faulted for failing to comply with standards that have not been officially formulated. When the government sets clear standards pertaining to product labeling, we will certainly comply with them.

Which one of the following principles, if established, would contribute most to a defense of the manufacturer’s position against that of the consumer advocate?

(A) In the absence of government definitions for terms used in product labeling, common standards of understanding alone should apply.

(B) Government standards for truthful labeling should always be designed to reflect common standards of understanding.

(C) People should be free, to the extent that it is legal to do so, to exploit to their advantages the inherent ambiguity and vagueness in language.

(D) When government standards and common standards for truthful labeling are incompatible with each other, the government standards should always take precedence.

(E) In their interpretation of language, consumers should never presume that vagueness indicates an attempt to deceive on the part of manufacturers unless those manufacturers would reap large benefits from successful deception.

Source: LSAT


I will go with C here ..
It supports the manufacturer point of view ...one can exploit the language , if doing so is legal ...

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 07:10
I think A also fits. Not sure why there should be a preference to C just because its more assertive.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 20:05
sobby wrote:
broall wrote:
Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards for food product labeling, manufacturers are misleading or deceiving consumers by their product labeling. For example, a certain brand of juice is labeled “fresh orange juice,” yet the product is made from water, concentrate, and flavor enhancers. Since “fresh” as applied to food products is commonly understood to mean pure and unprocessed, labeling that orange juice “fresh” is unquestionably deceptive.

Manufacturer: Using words somewhat differently than they are commonly used is not deceptive. After all, “fresh” can also mean never frozen. We cannot be faulted for failing to comply with standards that have not been officially formulated. When the government sets clear standards pertaining to product labeling, we will certainly comply with them.

Which one of the following principles, if established, would contribute most to a defense of the manufacturer’s position against that of the consumer advocate?

(A) In the absence of government definitions for terms used in product labeling, common standards of understanding alone should apply.

(B) Government standards for truthful labeling should always be designed to reflect common standards of understanding.

(C) People should be free, to the extent that it is legal to do so, to exploit to their advantages the inherent ambiguity and vagueness in language.

(D) When government standards and common standards for truthful labeling are incompatible with each other, the government standards should always take precedence.

(E) In their interpretation of language, consumers should never presume that vagueness indicates an attempt to deceive on the part of manufacturers unless those manufacturers would reap large benefits from successful deception.

Source: LSAT


I will go with C here ..
It supports the manufacturer point of view ...one can exploit the language , if doing so is legal ...


Yes i think its C

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2017
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 11:11
How B option is ruled out when it supports the manufacturer’s position?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 23:44
(B) Government standards for truthful labeling should always be designed to reflect common standards of understanding.

This option cannot support manufacturer stand point.
if we consider the consumer advocate procedure he says "fresh means unprocessed" where as manufacturer says "it never mean unfrozen"
I believe the manufacturer agrees with the consumer advocate but provides a conclusion that favors the manufacturer.
So i short option (B) supports the consumer advocate more than the manufacturer.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 23:47
narendra111988 wrote:
I think A also fits. Not sure why there should be a preference to C just because its more assertive.


common standards relates to consumer advocate's argument since the manufacturer doesn't refute the consumer advocate in his argument instead he provides a different explaination.

hence, option A is more inclined towards the consumer advocate than the manufacturer.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 46

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 33

Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 01:37
I would also go with A. It states that in absence of Government rules, common sense can be used which is in favour of Manufacturer.

C option is also close one. But I rejected it because gives a negative impression in manufacturer's say.

Hence A is correct according to me

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2017
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 02:51
I feel D is correct because questions ask for "Which one of the following principles, if established, ", D is the one which establishes such a rule and supports the argument and avoids the ambiguity.

(A) seems to be incorrect because it talks about "Common standards in the absence", the entire argument itself is based on missing a common standard.
(C) seems incorrect because manufacturer argues that there is no deception from their side, they merely assumed another meaning of "Fresh", so C contradict wit that.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 09:56
Why not option E ?! It refutes the accusation of the consumer advocate that vagueness doesn't necessarily mean deception.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 09:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consumer advocate: Under the current absence of government standards

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.