GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests
Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 19:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:42) correct 25% (01:35) wrong based on 171 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to her. So Hagerle owes me a sincere apology as well, because Hagerle told the same lie to both of us.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the counselor’s reasoning?

(A) It is good to apologize for having done something wrong to a person if one is capable of doing so sincerely.

(B) If someone tells the same lie to two different people, then neither of those lied to is owed an apology unless both are.

(C) Someone is owed a sincere apology for having been lied to by a person if someone else has already received a sincere apology for the same lie from that same person.

(D) If one is capable of sincerely apologizing to someone for lying to them, then one owes that person such an apology.

(E) A person should not apologize to someone for telling a lie unless he or she can sincerely apologize to all others to whom the lie was told.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2019, 02:55
Answer is C

I took this as a must be true type stimulus.The physician's argument is simple : if Hargerly apologised sincerely to the physician,he/she must apologize sincerely to the counselor

A. This a generalizing based on just single instance and could be true but is not definitely.
B. Again you can not infer this because the stimulus does not say so.It only talks of obligation to apologize and not the other way. The counselor does not have to agree to this.
C. This just restates the counselor's argument and is CORRECT.
D. This is a bad reversal. Just because one can sincerely apologize does not mean one actually owes another an apology.
E. Once again this speaks of obligation not to apologize and though the counselor could agree with this principle,he also may not. All the counselor agrees to has been said in the argument.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member
Re: Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 20:01
Dear experts, can anyone please explain the difference between C and D?

I assume D is incorrect because it talks about "capability" to give an apology, which is not in the scope of the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 19:50
i picked C

My rationale is that the structure of the question stem is the same as we have in C.

Was confused between B and C though
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 20:54
saurabh9gupta wrote:
i picked C

My rationale is that the structure of the question stem is the same as we have in C.

Was confused between B and C though

I rejected B because argument talks about Sincere apology while option B talks about any apology
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 20:55
mykrasovski wrote:
Dear experts, can anyone please explain the difference between C and D?

I assume D is incorrect because it talks about "capability" to give an apology, which is not in the scope of the argument.

Let me try if it helps- Yes, the question doesn't talk about the capability
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2019, 20:55

Counselor: Hagerle sincerely apologized to the physician for lying to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics