Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Assumptionx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1151 [733]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [211]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [39]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [11]
Send PM
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

This choice is the correct one - the author is assuming the time it takes to assembly one TV in Borodian has not changed. For if it had decreased, the whole argument would collaps > there would be less workers producing the same number of TVsets.
The argument doesn't mention that number of TVs decreased.

Originally posted by michalky on 11 Oct 2004, 18:27.
Last edited by michalky on 11 Oct 2004, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [8]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Facts are:
1) Wage is lower in Vernland than Borodia
2) NO tax on imported TV from Vernland
3) Number of assemblers has decreased @ Borodia
Outcome is: STILL TV sales at Borodia are not hampered.

Conclusion: Only way it can happen if import has increased significantly.

Assumption: But what if average number to assemble a TV has decreased drastically? So less assembler could still assemble same number of TV.

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
– Not required essentially
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
– Out of scope
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
- True
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
-- Same kind of statement like A’s.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years
-- Future aspect is OOS

Originally posted by priyankurml on 09 Mar 2009, 21:43.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Oct 2018, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The questions in the Official Guide proceed generally from easy to hard, so in general you can use that as a rough guideline. This question is near the end of the CR section, so it is among the more difficult ones in the book (and therefore representative of the more difficult CR questions that appear on the real test). It's certainly a denser passage than is typical, and I think it's much more difficult than in most CR questions, upon reading the stem alone, to know what answer to look for, so I would expect most people to find this question challenging. Still, the underlying logic has parallels with that in many other questions, so I think it's a worthwhile problem to study.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
If the number of televisions sold in Borodia has not changed, and the number television assemblers in Borodia has gone down, this can mean only two things.

1. The reduced number of assemblers in Borodia means lesser TVs produced in Borodia. The difference is then made up by importing TVs from Vernland
2. The reduced number of assemblers in Borodia are more productive now than they used to be - and they are able to produce the same number of televisions as earlier.

1 is stated explicitly in the stimulus. Lets look at the options to see if we can find 2, or a better assumption, somewhere.

(A): This is not an assumption. It is possible that the assemblers in Vernland are more productive, and for example one assembler in Vernland can produce twice the number of TVs produced by one assembler in Borodia. In that case even if the TVs are being imported from Vernland, the decrease in assemblers in Borodia need not confirm exactly to the increase in the number of assemblers in Vernland
(B): TV features are irrelevant to the argument here.
(C): This is exactly assumption 2 that we mapped out earlier. Correct.
(D): This does not help to reach the conclusion of the stimulus. For instance, it is possible that the local market in Vernland expanded in this period, and in that case the additional TVs would be needed to just satisfy local demand, not import demand for Borodia.
(E): The difference in wage rates is not a factor here.

C is therefore correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
ratinarace wrote:
@gyanone....any tips for pre thinking for such assumptions...I really waste lot of time evaluating the choices...

Hi Ratinarace:

If you want to increase your critical thinking speed, I highly recommend you read "Critical Reasoning - Bible".
For assumption questions, we have 2 types: supporter assumption, and defender assumption. I won't talk in detail here. This question is asking you about supporter assumption.

The question wants you to explain the link: why a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia leads to an increase of TV import from Vernland. Clearly, there's a gap between "number of assemblers" and "TV import". The logic is: the number of Borodia TV assemblers decreases --> the number of TVs assembled in Borodia decreases --> Borodia has to import more TV from Vernland.

Name Q = the number of TV assemblers in Borodia
Name T = average hour/day to assemble a TV
Name K = the number of working hours/day for each assembler = constant.
Name P = total TV assembled/day = (K/T) x Q

The stimulus says Q decreased --> P only decrease if T stays the same of just decreases a little bit. Otherwise, if T decreases significantly --> P maybe increase --> so logic would be failed.

For instance:

Q= 100 people; T= 10 hours/TV; K = 10 hours --> the number of TV per a assembler per day = K/T = 10/10 = 1 TV/day --> total TV assembled/day = (K/T)xQ = 1 x 100 = 100 TVs

if Q changes to 50 people, T also decreases to 2.5 hours; K = 10 --> each person will assemble 4 TVs/day --> Total TV = 4 x 50 = 200 TVs --> P increases --> the logic is failed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.29
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is (C). I'll try to explain via a hypothetical dialogue.

First identify the conclusion, which in my own words, translates to

"Borodia must have imported more TVs"

A skeptic would then ask, "what makes you come to that conclusion?"

I reply -- "well, because of a few reasons, which are stated in my premises":

1) Borodia sold the same # of TVs for the past 3 years
2) Borodia lost some of its own TV assemblers

1+2 Combined) Borodia sold the same number of TVs while employing fewer assemblers.

1+2+Conclusion) Borodia sold the same number of TVs while employing fewer assemblers. Therefore, they must have imported more TVs

Skeptic, still skeptical, then asks: "well...what if somehow, just SOMEHOW, there was another way Borodia supplied its TVs while employing fewer employees?"

I then reply, "well...I assume there wasn't any other way."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now look at choice (C): The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

This is telling me the few remaining TV assemblers in Borodia might have become more efficient and produced more TVs per hour.
Tying it back to my hypothetical dialogue:

"Like I said, I assume there is no other way Borodia produced the same # of TVs as last year, including this scenario"

Therefore, answer is (C).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

The passage in the question is one of those arguments, which, at e-GMAT, we classify as QPA arguments or Quantitative Predictive Arguments. We had written an article on the same some time back. It might help.

a-framework-to-prethink-in-quantitative-predictive-arguments-146436.html

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [11]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a rate problem if you're interested in Quant.

Let analyze an example:

Before:
Barodia has 100 workers.
It took 4 hours per worker to assembly 1 TV.
Each worker works 8 hour a day
==> 100 worker will assemble (8/4)*100 = 200 TV/day.

After:
the number of workers decreases to 80 workers
it takes 2 hours per worker to assembly 1 TV.
Each worker still works 8 hour a day
==> 80 workers will assemble (8/2)*80 = 240 TV/day

You see even the number of workers decreases, but the amount of time to assemble a TV also decreases significantly, the total TV assembled may increase.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [11]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Umesh,
No need to look at the numbers in detail here.
Just break down the information so that it becomes easier for you to relate the facts with each other.

Borodia will be referred as B and Vernlandian as V
For Telivision assemblers:
1. hourly wage in V << hourly wage in B
2. Borodia dropped all tariffs on V televisions three years ago.

3. No of televisions sold in B =constant

Which can be written as
In Borodia :
3(a) No of TV (assembled in B) + No of TV (assembled in V) = No Change

4. number of television assemblers in B went down.

Now point 4 sates that number of television assemblers in B went down.
This will imply that if productivity of assemblers in B has not gone up then number of telivision assembled at B will go down.

But for equaltion 3(a) to hold means the import from V will have to go up.
So productiivty of assemblers in B going up is the assumption.
More the proudcitivity lesser will be the time taken to assemble the TV.
Hence Choice C is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
ssbisht wrote:

Which can be written as
In Borodia :

This will imply that if productivity of assemblers in B has not gone up then number of telivision assembled at B will go down.

+1 kudo Ssbisht,
I tried to understood your analysis. I only couldn't get the red marked line of yours(above).

Can you read what I understood? I will go by the argument serially.

1. hourly wage(V)<< hourly wage(B)
2. Barodia dropped all tariff on V TV, 3 years ago
It means V can export TVs to B in much higher volume. Barodia started importing TVs from V in higher amount after effect of no-tariff rule.
3. No of television sold (B) =constant.
Any TV sold in B can be [imported from V] OR [assembled in B itself] assuming there are no other countries exporting TVs to B.
constant= TV assembled (B) + TV assembled in (V)
C= B + V
4. Television assembled in B has gone down, it
In eq(3) if, B has gone down, V must have increased as C is fixed value.
i.e. knowing, Assemblers in B has gone down, I can say the number of TVs exported from V should have gone up.

Questions:
1. I am unable to conclude that productivity of B has gone down. ( which is assumption in choice C)
2. Does statement(1) help anywhere for the conclusion? or its just shell game to distract?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
umeshpatil wrote:
ssbisht wrote:

Which can be written as
In Borodia :

+1 kudo Ssbisht,
I tried to understood your analysis. I only couldn't get the red marked line of yours(above).

Can you read what I understood? I will go by the argument serially.

It means V can export TVs to B in much higher volume. Barodia started importing TVs from V in higher amount after effect of no-tariff rule.
Any TV sold in B can be [imported from V] OR [assembled in B itself] assuming there are no other countries exporting TVs to B.
C= B + V
4. Television assembled in B has gone down, it
i.e. knowing, Assemblers in B has gone down, I can say the number of TVs exported from V should have gone up.

Questions:
1. I am unable to conclude that productivity of B has gone down. ( which is assumption in choice C)
2. Does statement(1) help anywhere for the conclusion? or its just shell game to distract?

Hi Umesh,
Following are my comments on your argument

Don’t assume this right away else you will make a different conclusion from the argument.

C= B + V
You are correct here.

4. Television assembled in B has gone down.-This is the conclusion we need to strengthen

Questions:
1. I am unable to conclude that productivity of B has gone down. (which is assumption in choice C)
I think you misread choice C here .It says the number of hours to assemble television has not gone down significantly which implies that Productivity has not gone up significantly.
Remember that lesser the hours required to assemble a television the more the productivity.
So choice C is saying that Productivity of B has not gone up significantly. If productivity has gone up then B will produce more TV and will not require import from V.

2. Does statement (1) help anywhere for the conclusion? Or its just shell game to distract?
Yes this and statement 2 is not required. Remember don’t assume anything like you did for statement 2 as that will take on an alternate understanding of argument.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [11]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos