GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 May 2017, 07:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:06) correct 49% (01:13) wrong based on 194 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but was still able to complete it in the allotted time.

A. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but was still able to complete it in the allotted time
B. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students, however she was still able to complete the test in the allotted time.
c. Even though Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students, yet she was able to complete it in the allotted time.
D. Having started the test later than the rest of the students, Cristina was able to complete it in the allotted time.
E. Cristina was able to complete the test in the allotted time, yet she started it later than the rest of the students.

Given option A is correct. However "But" ( comma FANBOYS) should be used. Here no comma is applied before BUT.
Please explain your reasoning why the original sentence is correct.

If this helped you in any way don't forget to press the Kudos!

Originally posted by rajatbanik on 29 May 2017, 03:28.
Last edited by broall on 29 May 2017, 07:43, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 May 2017, 03:55
I think if there were to be a comma before "but", the sentence would be incorrect since the portion after the "but" would not be an independent clause.

P.S. - I'm new here and I've just started with my prep so I might be wrong.

Originally posted by Sammy599 on 29 May 2017, 03:53.
Last edited by Sammy599 on 29 May 2017, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge
Re: Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 03:54
Hi rajatbanik ,

Please follow the rules of posting going forward. (I have edited this question now).

To answer your question.

Comma + FANBOYS Rule is used when we have two independent clauses joined together.

Here, in option A, the sentence is actually conveying a single meaning in the form of one clause by using the conjunction but.

A. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but was still able to complete it in the allotted time A single clause that conveys the meaning that even though she started earlier, she was able to complete it on time.

B. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students, however she was still able to complete the test in the allotted time. Here, there is a slight change in meaning. It is trying to convey two opposing ideas using However. But as per our original sentence, we mean to say that she did something good. Hence, a single meaning. Notice the use of word "still".

c. Even though Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students, yet she was able to complete it in the allotted time.

D. Having started the test later than the rest of the students, Cristina was able to complete it in the allotted time.

E. Cristina was able to complete the test in the allotted time, yet she started it later than the rest of the students. Complete change in meaning.
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 05:34
Thank you for replying me.

Indeed I always make mistake while posting. :cry: Please suggest me how did you use the spoiler tab. it wasn't visible to me.

abhimahna wrote:
Hi rajatbanik ,

Please follow the rules of posting going forward. (I have edited this question now).

To answer your question.

Comma + FANBOYS Rule is used when we have two independent clauses joined together.

Here, in option A, the sentence is actually conveying a single meaning in the form of one clause by using the conjunction but.

A. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but was still able to complete it in the allotted time A single clause that conveys the meaning that even though she started earlier, she was able to complete it on time.

B. Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students, however she was still able to complete the test in the allotted time. Here, there is a slight change in meaning. It is trying to convey two opposing ideas using However. But as per our original sentence, we mean to say that she did something good. Hence, a single meaning. Notice the use of word "still".

E. Cristina was able to complete the test in the allotted time, yet she started it later than the rest of the students. Complete change in meaning.
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 06:24
Top Contributor
There is an irreconcilable problem with this question and with all of the choices. This topic is not comparing Cristina with the just rest of the students. It is comparing Cristina's action of starting late with just the rest, although it should in all earnestness compare Cristina's action of starting later with the rest of the students' action of starting earlier. This is a glaring comparison error IMO
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q33 V28
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 06:37
I agree with Daagh sir.
Daagh sir,
Apart from the comparison error, can you please explain why A is a better choice than D?

Thanks,
Jat
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 07:26
Top Contributor
Jat
An element of contrast is inevitable when you use a conjunction such as 'but' or a conjunctive adverb such as 'however'. 'Having started' in D is just an indicative statement and it at best exhibits a correlation rather the much-needed contrast expounded in A.
A is not a compound sentence; it is just a simple sentence espousing two contrasting but parallel ideas joined by the fanboy 'but'.
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 22:10
Not gonna lie I have a hard time seeing how E changes the meaning and I'm a native english speaker.

But based on the answer guidance in the book E distorts the meaning by "reversing the cause and effect relationship"

Cause: started later; effect: still able to complete it on time
Cause: able to complete test on time; effect: started later

So i digged a bit deeper and found that I don't understand what "yet" truly means.

Yet = "but" or "nevertheless" when used as a conjunction.

So, with this meaning in mind: "Cristina was able to complete the test on time, yet (nevertheless) she started it later than the rest of the students" reads that one event started before the other.
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 23:16
daagh
Sir, Can you please explain why option B is not correct? is it a run on sentence? I thought that because of the presence of 'however', the second part is a dependent clause.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 00:40
ArupRS wrote:
daagh
Sir, Can you please explain why option B is not correct? is it a run on sentence? I thought that because of the presence of 'however', the second part is a dependent clause.
However is not commonly accepted as a full conjunction capable of joining two clauses, even if some people use it as such. We must put a semicolon before however if there is nothing else in between two clauses.

We were ready, however, they weren't.
We were ready; however, they weren't.
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 00:44
AjiteshArun wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
daagh
However is not commonly accepted as a full conjunction capable of joining two clauses, even if some people use it as such. We must put a semicolon before however if there is nothing else in between two clauses.

AjiteshArun

Thank you so much :) .

Regards,
Arup Sarkar
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 01:01
Top Contributor
arup

Please visit this site

Quote:
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/however

I give below the relevant part of the use of however by thefreedictionary

Quote:
When however is used to join clauses within a sentence, it acts as a conjunctive adverb like nevertheless, not as coordinating conjunction like but or yet. The conventions of punctuation thus require that it be preceded by a semicolon, as inMain Street will be closed to traffic for the parade; however, the stores along it will remain open. Using a comma instead of a semicolon is likely to be perceived as a mistake. In our 2015 survey, 86 percent of the Usage Panel gave an unacceptable rating to the sentence Main Street will be closed to traffic for the parade, however, the stores along it will remain open.

You use however when you are adding a comment that contrasts with what has just been said.
Some of the food crops failed. However, the cotton did quite well.
Losing at games doesn't matter to some women. Most men, however, can't stand it.
You also use however to say that it makes no difference how something is done.
You can do it however you want.
However we add that up, it does not make a dozen.
However we prepare for retirement there are undeniable risks.
Be Careful!
Don't use 'however' as conjunction. For example, don't say 'John always cooks dinner,however I usually wash up afterward'. You can start a new sentence or clause, for example'John always cooks dinner. However, I usually wash up afterward'. Or you can use a conjunction such as but or although, for example 'John always cooks dinner, although I usually wash up afterward.'

Since the whole issue is about punctuation, use of wrong punctuations leads to run-on errors very often. I agree with you that B is a run-on
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 01:30
daagh wrote:
arup

Please visit this site

Quote:
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/however

I give below the relevant part of the use of however by thefreedictionary

Quote:
When however is used to join clauses within a sentence, it acts as a conjunctive adverb like nevertheless, not as coordinating conjunction like but or yet. The conventions of punctuation thus require that it be preceded by a semicolon, as inMain Street will be closed to traffic for the parade; however, the stores along it will remain open. Using a comma instead of a semicolon is likely to be perceived as a mistake. In our 2015 survey, 86 percent of the Usage Panel gave an unacceptable rating to the sentence Main Street will be closed to traffic for the parade, however, the stores along it will remain open.

You use however when you are adding a comment that contrasts with what has just been said.
Some of the food crops failed. However, the cotton did quite well.
Losing at games doesn't matter to some women. Most men, however, can't stand it.
You also use however to say that it makes no difference how something is done.
You can do it however you want.
However we add that up, it does not make a dozen.
However we prepare for retirement there are undeniable risks.
Be Careful!
Don't use 'however' as conjunction. For example, don't say 'John always cooks dinner,however I usually wash up afterward'. You can start a new sentence or clause, for example'John always cooks dinner. However, I usually wash up afterward'. Or you can use a conjunction such as but or although, for example 'John always cooks dinner, although I usually wash up afterward.'

Since the whole issue is about punctuation, use of wrong punctuations leads to run-on errors very often. I agree with you that B is a run-on

Nice piece of information. let me assimilate the info.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 02:54
ArupRS wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
daagh

AjiteshArun

Thank you so much :) .

Regards,
Arup Sarkar

Just to add to this explanation.

"However", "moreover", "thus" and a few other words are all examples of conjunctive adverbs. When we want to use a conjunctive adverb it must be preceded by a semi-colon (;) and followed by a comma (,).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 11:18
Why not optn C.... ?.. whats wrong with it...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 11:22
Abhigmat2019 wrote:

even though and yet ---- you cannot have two contrasting word in one single sentence.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 12:54
ArupRS wrote:
Abhigmat2019 wrote:

even though and yet ---- you cannot have two contrasting word in one single sentence.

You need to be a bit more clear.

The use of "Even though....., yet..." is redundant.

It's just as if I said: Although he..., but he....
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2019, 12:54

Cristina started the test later than the rest of the students but

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap