It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 09:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critical Reasoning: Quoting example to support logic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Reviews Badge
Critical Reasoning: Quoting example to support logic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 20:54
GMAT sometimes provides support by quoting examples that similar situation has happened before or in some other country (generally in answer choices). Is there any example of this kind of logic ever being true.

- Consider this for example: Joshua is one of the most thanked members on GMATClub. Hence, Joshua will most likely score above 700 on his GMAT.

Which of the following below would help you evaluate the argument above?

Choice: Whether, Rosy, another member who was one of the most thanked members on GMATClub, scored above 700 or not.

This sort of choice is never true. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Critical Reasoning: Quoting example to support logic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:19
Yes, you can assume that answers like these are generally traps. Since you don't know whether Josh and Rosy are similar to each other, you have no way to know whether Rosy's situation is applicable to Josh's situation. There will probably be an answer choice that has more direct bearing on Josh, specifically; that will probably be the right answer.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 04:36
ajit_223 wrote:
GMAT sometimes provides support by quoting examples that similar situation has happened before or in some other country (generally in answer choices). Is there any example of this kind of logic ever being true.

- Consider this for example: Joshua is one of the most thanked members on GMATClub. Hence, Joshua will most likely score above 700 on his GMAT.

Choice: Whether, Rosy, another member who was one of the most thanked members on GMATClub, scored above 700 or not.

You cannot generalise from one specific case. So knowing about Rosy will not help you make up your mind about all others including Joshua.
However an option giving you information on all others could be valid.
See here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-major-netw ... 36966.html

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 08:40
ajit_223 wrote:

Can you please specify a question? :)

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Re: Critical Reasoning: Quoting example to support logic   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2017, 08:40

Critical Reasoning: Quoting example to support logic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap