Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [98]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [36]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Send PM
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; his tremend [#permalink]
Kudos
I definitely go with E

C D – laid is incorrect here – lie lay lain; not lay laid laid
A B – in the fact that … is awkward; E is more concise

1000SC : OA is E
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [2]
Send PM
Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; his tremend [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey All,

For the heck of it, here's the grammatical usage note on "lay" in my online dictionary:

USAGE The verb lay means, broadly, 'put something down': : they are going to lay the carpet. The past tense and the past participle of lay is laid:: they laid the groundwork;: she had laid careful plans. The verb lie, on the other hand, means 'assume a horizontal or resting position': : why don't you lie on the floor? The past tense of lie is lay:: he lay on the floor earlier in the day. The past participle of lie is lain:: she had lain on the bed for hours. In practice, many speakers inadvertently get the lay forms and the lie forms into a tangle of right and wrong usage. Here are some examples of typical incorrect usage: : have you been laying on the sofa all day? (should be lying); : he lay the books on the table (should be laid); : I had laid in this position so long, my arm was stiff (should be lain). See also usage at lie 1 .

The past tense of lie is simply "lay". You would only use "lays" for the PRESENT tense of the FIRST version listed here. As in "He lays carpet all day, then goes home and has a beer." The past tense would then be "he lay carpet all day, then went home and had a beer."

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; his tremend [#permalink]
Sarai,

Isn't bed the object in the following example you mentioned?

The men lie in bed. (No object)

When you said, intransitive verbs don't take objects, you probable meant that one can't use intransitive verbs like
'raise', 'lie', etc in sentences written in passive voice.

For example,

active: The men(subject) lie(verb) in bed(object).
passive: The bed (was/were/is) lie by the men --> Incorrect, because intransitive verb 'lie' can't take object 'bed'

Another example, using intransitive verb 'arrived'

active: Bob(S) arrived(V) on the platform(O).
passive: Platform(O) was arrived(V) by Bob(S) --> Incorrect

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi papillon86,

"in bed" is what is called a prepositional phrase.

"in" is a preposition.

"bed" is a noun.

Together (preposition + noun) they form a prepositional phrase, which is descriptive.

The object of a verb is the received (a noun) of the action.

Hope that helps!

-Sarai
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
And how do you know in E that "lay" refers to the past tense of the verb "to lie" and not to the present tense of te verb "to lay".
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Noboru,

Because one verb is transitive (meaning it takes an object), and the other is not. If someone's creativity "lies" in something, do you see how that word isn't taking an object? Taking an object would look like this: "I lay the book on the table." In that sentence, we know we have to transitive verb, to lay, because it's taking an object "the book". But if my genius lies in science, "in science" is just a prepositional phrase modifying the verb, and there is no object. If you use the transitive "to lay", you must have an object (you have to actually lay something somewhere!).

Does that make sense?

-t
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I eliminated A,B and C as they were awkward.
I selected the option "D", but it is wrong. :( The correct one is "E".

Can any one help on this?
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos