GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2018, 23:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:45) correct 29% (00:58) wrong based on 554 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2000 people should be struck by lightning, while approximately 30% of those struck will die.

(A) in any given year, 2000 people should be struck by lightning
(B) 2000 people should be struck by lightning in any given year
(C) lightning will strike human beings 2000 times per year
(D) each year, 2000 people will be struck by lightning
(E) each year, lightning should strike 2000 times

Originally posted by gmatter0913 on 19 Aug 2013, 13:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Oct 2018, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 11:02
This is a pretty good meaning-based question. Given the number of people who were thrown by "should" I will expand a bit on it. While "should" is used for 'future' conditions it brings an implication of obligation or duty. From a logical standpoint it does not make sense to say that 2000 people are obligated or have a duty to be struck by lightning each year. "Will" is future tense and implies certianty, but the language of the sentence softens that certainly because we are talking about the average from "various sources" and that it would happen "in any given year".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 14:52
Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2000 people should be struck by lightning, while approximately 30% of those struck will die.

Wrong. why we need a comma before "2000 people"? The sentence should not have a comma which is used to separate two parts of the sentence.

Correct. "should" is used correctly. The sentence is concise.

Wrong.
- "will" is not correct. We can't use "will" if the forecasting is not 100% sure.
- "strike 2000 times"# 2000 people --> changes the meaning.

Wrong. "will" is not correct.

Wrong. "strike 2000 times"# 2000 people --> changes the meaning.

Waiting for OA.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 18:05
bhisma wrote:
IMO : B

Welcome to gmatclub :)
Could you please elaborate your answer?

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Aug 2013, 22:03
My thought process was:

There is a "those" in the non-underlined part of the sentence. Hence, it has to refer to people or human beings. E doesn't have an antecedent. E is wrong.

A and D have non-essential modifers. So, if I just assume that the modifier is not there, the sentences don't seem correct

A says: Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year while approximately... (no verb in the that clause and the sentence is awkward)

D says: Data collected from various sources indicate that each year while approximately... (no verb in the that clause and the sentence is awkward)

So, A, D, and E are out. B is passive and long.
Coming to option C, even though I thought about the sentence changing its meaning "strikes human beings 2000 times a year", I felt it is fine in the rush of the exam.

Hence, I went with the option C.

Originally posted by gmatter0913 on 19 Aug 2013, 21:43.
Last edited by gmatter0913 on 19 Aug 2013, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 21:46
To my surprise, the OA is D. But if I remove the non-essential modifier the sentence seems awfully wrong. Any help on how D can be correct in such cases.

Is the process of removing the non-essential modifier and thinking about the sentence a wrong approach?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 21:49
The OA explanation is as below:

The main error in the original sentence is the usage of the word "should." Such usage (equating "should" with "will") is common colloquially, but on the GMAT, "should" always implies "ought to." Applying the correct usage, the sentence would read that 2000 people "ought to" be struck by lightning in a given year. This error needs to be corrected.

Choices (A), (B), and (E) use "should," while choices (C) and (D) replace it with "will."

Choices (A), (B) and (E) are out because of the "should" usage error.

Choice (C) changes the sentence’s meaning by moving the modifier "2000" from its proper place in front of "people" to a different location, in front of "times," changing its function and altering the meaning of the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 12:40
Hi Kyle,

Could you provide your expert comments on the below?

Quote:
To my surprise, the OA is D. But if I remove the non-essential modifier the sentence seems awfully wrong. Any help on how D can be correct in such cases.

Is the process of removing the non-essential modifier and thinking about the sentence a wrong approach?

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 13:14
Sure thing. First, can you confirm that all the punctuation marks (commas really) in your post match the punctuation from the source?

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 18:59
Kyle,

Yes, the punctuation for the question and the answer options is correct.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 18:13
KyleWiddison wrote:
This is a pretty good meaning-based question. Given the number of people who were thrown by "should" I will expand a bit on it. While "should" is used for 'future' conditions it brings an implication of obligation or duty. From a logical standpoint it does not make sense to say that 2000 people are obligated or have a duty to be struck by lightning each year. "Will" is future tense and implies certianty, but the language of the sentence softens that certainly because we are talking about the average from "various sources" and that it would happen "in any given year".

KW

In addition, I believe for logical predication - "each year" is better (as in choice D) rather than "in any given year" (as in choice A) -- "in any given year" is a good phrase in phrases that talks about probability (X has 1% probability in any given year), but in certainty cases "each year" is good. Am I right ? Please comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 21:27
Hi Kyle,

Could you help me on the below? (The punctuation is correct.)

Quote:

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2013, 21:31
gmatter0913 wrote:

Sorry gmatter, for some reason I haven't been getting reply notifications in my email. I was surprised that you hadn't responded, but when I checked the thread to see what was happening you had responded twice ;)

I asked you about the punctuation because if I were writing the sentence I would put a comma after "that" and here's why. The core of the sentence in the original is as follows: Data ... indicate (main independent clause) that 2000 people should be struck (subordinate, dependent clause). The information "in any given year" is part of a non-essential prepositional phrase and you would typically see those independent clauses set off by commas (one in front and one in back). Perhaps the test writer was uncomfortable having a comma directly after the "that", which I guess I can understand, but I would then expect to see the second comma (the one after "year") ommitted as well.

To answer your question about non-essential modifiers, I completely support the practice of removing the non-essential stuff to understand the core of the sentence (I did that here in my explanation). The challenge on this question is that the commas make you believe that a core part of the sentence - "2000 people should be struck" - is actually non-essential because it appears to be set off by commas. Don't stop the practice of looking at the core (momentarily ignoring the non-essential pieces of the sentence) - just recognize that this question doesn't fit the mold.

Again, sorry for the delayed response.

KW

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2013, 21:39
shailendrasharma wrote:

In addition, I believe for logical predication - "each year" is better (as in choice D) rather than "in any given year" (as in choice A) -- "in any given year" is a good phrase in phrases that talks about probability (X has 1% probability in any given year), but in certainty cases "each year" is good. Am I right ? Please comment.

If I'm being honest (and I am :) ), I probably like the phrase "in any given year" on this problem, even though it's not used in the "correct" answer. The data from the question deal with averages, so the actual number of people struck each year will vary. "In any given year" gives the sense that we are talking about averages while "each year" makes you think that at least (or potentially exactly) 2000 people will be struck each and every year, without exception. From the standpoint of SC, I guess you could argue that the meanings are essentially the same and "every year" is more concise, but given the GMAT's renewed focus on Meaning, I would caution you to take seriously the meaning differences of phrases like this when you are taking the GMAT.

KW

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 00:26
Isnt indicate a bossy verb here ? and according to the rule isnt it bossy verb + that + Subject + Command subjective !!
then how can we place each year before 2000 students .

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 09:14
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 08:42
gmatter0913 wrote:

For me, it came down to option (C) or (D).

Both of these looked good to me, but I ended up going with (D) because it uses "struck", which is used again in the latter part of the sentence.

Does anybody have another reason that (C) is incorrect?

How to eliminate (A), (B), and (E)?
Kyle from Manhattan explains the "should" vs "will" element of this question. I'll quote him: "While "should" is used for 'future' conditions it brings an implication of obligation or duty. From a logical standpoint it does not make sense to say that 2000 people are obligated or have a duty to be struck by lightning each year. "Will" is future tense and implies certainty, but the language of the sentence softens that certainly because we are talking about the average from "various sources" and that it would happen "in any given year"."

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 13:02
gmatter0913 wrote:

The catch lies in the last part of the sentence "...will die". Hence, the underlined part requires a "will + verb". So it's between C and D.
C has an awkward meaning suggesting that human beings will be struck those many times rather than the intended meaning that those many human being will be struck.
D for me.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2 &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 13:02

Data collected from various sources indicate that in any given year, 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap