Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33030 [7]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Loyal membership comes with a number of excellent benefits. Members en [#permalink]
1i) The median retail cost of the product line is $20.40- False
Median of 17,25,34,35,100 is 34

ii) Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers- False
Non members spend p + s on purchases and shipping respectively
Members spend 0.9*0.6p + 0=0.54p on purchases and shipping respectively because member benefits include "40% off the retail price of all purchases and 10% annual cash rebate on all online orders"
50% discount on purchases and hipping = 0.5(p+s)
As we can see 0.54p>or< 0.5(p+s) hence we cannot conclude.

iii) The minimum purchase amount within the 6-month introductory period is less than the $50.00 charge issued to accounts that are canceled early- False
No minimum amount has been cited in the data and even if minimum amount has to be calculated , it will be > the minimum member price in the catalogue (10.2$), which is more than 50$ as one product will be purchased per month

2. If the information contained in all three sources is correct, the member price of an item that retails for $65.00 will be closest to= 60% of 65= 39$
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q79 V82 DI80
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: Loyal membership comes with a number of excellent benefits. Members en [#permalink]
Question 1, Part 1: The median retail cost of the product line is $20.40.

The median retail cost of product is $34.

Hence, the answer is No.

Question 1, Part 2: Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers.

Let x be the shipping cost.

Let's consider a member and a non member purchase 1 unit of Renew Soap.

Cost for member = 27
Cost for non member = 45 + x

Savings of a member compared to a non member = 18 + x

Translating the question statement: Is (18 + x) more than 50% of (45 + x)

Is (18 + x) > (45 + x)/2
Is (18+x)/(45+x) > 1/2

We can clearly see that the answer is No.

Hence, the final answer is No.

Question 1, Part 3: The minimum purchase amount within the 6-month introductory period is less than the $50.00 charge issued to accounts that are canceled early.

The minimum amount within the 6 month introductory period = Price of Detox Tea * 6 = 10.2 *6 = $61.2

Hence, the answer is No.

Question 2: If the information contained in all three sources is correct, the member price of
an item that retails for $65.00 will be closest to:

Member Price = 60% of 65 = $39

Hence, the answer is $39.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33030 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

The OAs to these questions are:

Question #1: No to all.

Question #2: D

Official Explanation will be posted soon.

Day 5 (Last Day) questions are posted.

Good Luck!
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. Consider each of the following statements. Does the information in the three sources support the inference as stated?

Statement 1: The median member price of the list of products from the catalogue is $20.40; the median retail cost is $34.00.

Statement 2: Loyal members receive an immediate 40% savings and 10% cash back on their online purchases, for a total savings of 50% on the retail cost of the item. They also receive free shipping, so their total savings are more than 50% of the costs that nonmembers would pay.

Statement 3: The least expensive product in the line is $10.00. If that product was ordered each month for 6 months, the total cost would be $60.00, which is more than the $50.00 cancellation fee.

Answer: No, Yes, and No

2. If the information contained in all three sources is correct, the member price of an item that retails for $65.00 will be closest to:

The correct answer is $39. Members receive a 40% discount off the retail price of the item, for a total discount of $65*0.40, or $26. The member price is 65$-26$ or 39$.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

1. Consider each of the following statements. Does the information in the three sources support the inference as stated?

Statement 1: The median member price of the list of products from the catalogue is $20.40; the median retail cost is $34.00.

Statement 2: Loyal members receive an immediate 40% savings and 10% cash back on their online purchases, for a total savings of 50% on the retail cost of the item. They also receive free shipping, so their total savings are more than 50% of the costs that nonmembers would pay.

Statement 3: The least expensive product in the line is $10.00. If that product was ordered each month for 6 months, the total cost would be $60.00, which is more than the $50.00 cancellation fee.

Answer: No, Yes, and No

2. If the information contained in all three sources is correct, the member price of an item that retails for $65.00 will be closest to:

The correct answer is $39. Members receive a 40% discount off the retail price of the item, for a total discount of $65*0.40, or $26. The member price is 65$-26$ or 39$.

Answer: D

I have a doubt in explanation of statement 2. hallfootball Elite097, please help me in understanding this.
statement 2 ask : "Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers."

it says "total purchases", for example i bought some items TODAY and saved 50%. which must be wrong right because if i buy something today, then i will save only 40%. official explanation included 10% benefits which we will get on after 1 YEAR.

From statement 2, i am not getting any hint which mentions that we should consider 1 year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sajjad1994 something seems wrong in the solutions. You have mentioned no to alll in summary but in explanation you have marked yes for st 2.

Alos pls clarify, is the 10% discount applied on discount after 40% or is it on total retail value. How do we discern this from the given data as to which meaning is implied.

p456 lets connect offline
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Sajjad1994 something seems wrong in the solutions. You have mentioned no to alll in summary but in explanation you have marked yes for st 2.

Alos pls clarify, is the 10% discount applied on discount after 40% or is it on total retail value. How do we discern this from the given data as to which meaning is implied.

p456 lets connect offline

Hello Elite097

Sorry for late reply

Official explanation stands correct and the official answer to the second statement is "Yes". There was typo in OAs which created confusion. Edited accordingly.

Thank you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
p456 wrote:
I have a doubt in explanation of statement 2. hallfootball Elite097, please help me in understanding this.
statement 2 ask : "Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers."

it says "total purchases", for example i bought some items TODAY and saved 50%. which must be wrong right because if i buy something today, then i will save only 40%. official explanation included 10% benefits which we will get on after 1 YEAR.

From statement 2, i am not getting any hint which mentions that we should consider 1 year.

This is the second statement:

"Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers."

It didn't talk about "TODAY". And it doesn't matter when members will get 10% cashback in their pockets the reality is they will save, and the statement stands correct. I accept the wording of the question is not up to the mark.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
p456 wrote:

This is the second statement:

"Loyal members who purchase online save more than 50% off the cost of their total purchases and shipping compared to nonmembers."

It didn't talk about "TODAY". And it doesn't matter when members will get 10% cashback in their pockets the reality is they will save, and the statement stands correct. I accept the wording of the question is not up to the mark.

Thanks for your response Sajjad1994. I get your point. Sorry to create confusion, i was just trying to give example. But thanks for clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
I have a doubt regarding part 1 (b) : Imho it should be false.

Say I would have spent $100 on conventional retail. (let's ignore the discount on shipping for now), the discount offered would have bought it down to $60. Now at the end of the year I would have received 10% rebate on my $60 expenditure, i.e. $6. Therefore my total expenditure is now $54 ($60-$6). Now the overall saving would have been less than 50% unless the shipping was a very big part of the product cost, about which we have no specific information.

Secondly, considering the second part of the supplied information, "Loyal Members" who are unable to make the requisite 6 purchases are unlikely to save more than 50% considering the $50 fine.

Would appreciate clarity on this. TIA.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11184 posts