GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     08:00 PM MST

     09:00 PM MST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 45
Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 06:56
Guys, I think it is more simple.

It says: "the AVERAGE AMOUNT of OVERTIME per month for the manufacturing division is 14 hrs."

Let's say the manufacturing division has 100 people.
For 99 of them the AMOUNT of OVERTIME is 0.
For 1 of them the AMOUNT of OVERTIME is 14 hrs.

The AVERAGE AMOUNT of OVERTIME for the division will be 14 hrs.

So it simply is D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 10:52
betterscore wrote:
Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by an employee in the manufacturing division of the Haglut Corporation is 14 hours. Most employees of the Haglut Corporation work in the manufacturing division. Furthermore, the average amount of overtime per month worked by any employee in the company generally does not fluctuate much from month to month. Therefore, each month, most employees of the Haglut Corporation almost certainly work at least some overtime.

The debater's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which of these grounds?

(A) It takes for granted that the manufacturing division is a typical division of the corporation with regard to the average amount of overtime its employees work each month.

(B) It takes for granted that if a certain average of amount of overtime is worked each month by each employee of the Haglut Corporation, then approximately the same amount of overtime must be worked each month by each employee of the manufacturing division.

(C) It confuses a claim from which the argument's conclusion about the Haglut Corporation would necessarily follow with a claim that would follow from the argument's conclusion only with a high degree of probability.

(D) It overlooks the possibility that even if, on average, a certain amount of overtime is worked by the members of some group, many members of that group may work no overtime at all.

(E) It overlooks the possibility that even if most employees of the corporation work some overtime each month, anyone corporate employee may, in some months, work no overtime.




Here is my explanation for D



Suppose the average overtime in Techahaed is 14 hours.
Does that mean everyone/most people works overtime ?
No ..
But Why?

Few people might work more than 14 hours say even 23 hours ..
and this will reduce the average work hour of the remaining few..

say for 10 people * 14=140 hours work
if 4 people work 24 hours each then it is 96 hours,this will leave
6 people with 44 hours work..44/6=7-8 hours work..No overtime for majorty
that is 6 poeple


Press Kudos if it helps!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 10:53
betterscore wrote:
Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by an employee in the manufacturing division of the Haglut Corporation is 14 hours. Most employees of the Haglut Corporation work in the manufacturing division. Furthermore, the average amount of overtime per month worked by any employee in the company generally does not fluctuate much from month to month. Therefore, each month, most employees of the Haglut Corporation almost certainly work at least some overtime.

The debater's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which of these grounds?

(A) It takes for granted that the manufacturing division is a typical division of the corporation with regard to the average amount of overtime its employees work each month.

(B) It takes for granted that if a certain average of amount of overtime is worked each month by each employee of the Haglut Corporation, then approximately the same amount of overtime must be worked each month by each employee of the manufacturing division.

(C) It confuses a claim from which the argument's conclusion about the Haglut Corporation would necessarily follow with a claim that would follow from the argument's conclusion only with a high degree of probability.

(D) It overlooks the possibility that even if, on average, a certain amount of overtime is worked by the members of some group, many members of that group may work no overtime at all.

(E) It overlooks the possibility that even if most employees of the corporation work some overtime each month, anyone corporate employee may, in some months, work no overtime.




Here is my explanation for D



Suppose the average overtime in Techahaed is 14 hours.
Does that mean everyone/most people works overtime ?
No ..
But Why?

Few people might work more than 14 hours say even 23 hours ..
and this will reduce the average work hour of the remaining few..

say for 10 people * 14=140 hours work
if 4 people work 24 hours each then it is 96 hours,this will leave
6 people with 44 hours work..44/6=7-8 hours work..No overtime for majorty
that is 6 poeple


Press Kudos if it helps!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 167
CAT Tests
Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 20:21
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun egmat

Does this line play anyb role in the question. I am not getting it. Please help.

Quote:
Furthermore, the average amount of overtime per month worked by any employee in the company generally does not fluctuate much from month to month.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1833
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 17:56
1
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun egmat

Does this line play anyb role in the question. I am not getting it. Please help.

Quote:
Furthermore, the average amount of overtime per month worked by any employee in the company generally does not fluctuate much from month to month.
You can safely ignore it.

It helps slightly to reinforce the each month part of the conclusion (Therefore, each month, most employees of the Haglut Corporation almost certainly work at least some overtime). The correct option however, doesn't need this statement. It attacks something more fundamental: if many employees work no overtime, it becomes much harder for us to say that most employees almost certainly work some overtime each month. But if the individual figures are just relatively stable (that is, they don't fluctuate), we don't know whether most are non-zero or not.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 167
CAT Tests
Re: Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 18:57
AjiteshArun wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun egmat

Does this line play anyb role in the question. I am not getting it. Please help.

Quote:
Furthermore, the average amount of overtime per month worked by any employee in the company generally does not fluctuate much from month to month.
You can safely ignore it.

It helps slightly to reinforce the each month part of the conclusion (Therefore, each month, most employees of the Haglut Corporation almost certainly work at least some overtime). The correct option however, doesn't need this statement. It attacks something more fundamental: if many employees work no overtime, it becomes much harder for us to say that most employees almost certainly work some overtime each month. But if the individual figures are just relatively stable (that is, they don't fluctuate), we don't know whether most are non-zero or not.



Thank you for your help!!
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by &nbs [#permalink] 07 Nov 2018, 18:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Debater: The average amount of overtime per month worked by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.