GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Deciding Which Schools to Apply to

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Deciding Which Schools to Apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 19:17
How did you all decide which schools you wanted to apply to? Did anyone have a specific number of "reach", "target", and "safety" schools they applied to?
Current Student
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Re: Deciding Which Schools to Apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 01:16
Hey there. I applied to a total of 5 schools during my MBA application during round 2. My category of my specific targets shifted when my GMAT score changed. The criteria for me was that I do not want to waste my time on applications of schools I do not want to go to.

Beginning of round 2 (GMAT 680): 2 competitive, 1 reach, 1 far reach.
End of round 2 (GMAT 740): 3 safeties, 1 competitive, 1 reach.

I knew people who only applied to 2 competitive schools because that's where they want to be. I also know people who did 10 apps because they want to spread their risk. I think school selection boils down to how much risk you are willing to take for your current as a candidate. I also wrote extensively about school selection here.
Re: Deciding Which Schools to Apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 05:47
bluemba wrote:
How did you all decide which schools you wanted to apply to? Did anyone have a specific number of "reach", "target", and "safety" schools they applied to?

I agree with Mimster on several accounts. For one, I believe you should not apply to b-schools which you would surely not join- its a crunch on your resources. Secondly, in my opinion, applying to 5-7 b-schools is a good number.

Every application, when done the proper way, takes considerable time, and my strategy is always to put larger effort into a decent number of applications rather than churn out low quality, but a humongous number of applications (10+).

AT present, what do you have in mind? Have you already selected your programs? This is what I would suggest for 5-7 b-schools:

Reach- 1 or 2
target - 3
Safety - 2

Consider these parameters when selecting business schools

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Deciding Which Schools to Apply to   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2017, 05:47

Deciding Which Schools to Apply to

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap