It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Determining Quality of School such as EAE in Spain

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Premium Member CAT Tests
Determining Quality of School such as EAE in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 11:25
Besides the rankings here and the more commonly known ones from Financial Times, how am I to determine if a certain school is good or not if it's not in the the more known top 50 or 100 rankings' lists.

I'm trying to be realistic with my chances based on my credentials and potential GMAT score. If I'm looking at plan B's for mid-tier schools, how can I judge their quality? For instance, since I want to go to school in Europe, hopefully in Spain, EAE has popped up and it is part of AACSB, AEEDE, and is #2 ranked on MERCO and top 50 rated by American Economia but it doesn't require the GMAT to the application. Is this a good school or not?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Determining Quality of School such as EAE in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 12:56
FredstarRR233 wrote:
Besides the rankings here and the more commonly known ones from Financial Times, how am I to determine if a certain school is good or not if it's not in the the more known top 50 or 100 rankings' lists.

I'm trying to be realistic with my chances based on my credentials and potential GMAT score. If I'm looking at plan B's for mid-tier schools, how can I judge their quality? For instance, since I want to go to school in Europe, hopefully in Spain, EAE has popped up and it is part of AACSB, AEEDE, and is #2 ranked on MERCO and top 50 rated by American Economia but it doesn't require the GMAT to the application. Is this a good school or not?

Almost all the good schools require a GMAT score for admission to FT MBA program. Still, if you are interested , you might talk to their current students from the website or linkedin and check out the opportunities in your area of interest.

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
Check their website for an employment report,that's probably the best way to judge if its a decent school or not. If you can't find one, its cryptic, or it has really low participation, it is probably not a good school.

Edit.

EAE shows only a list of "some employers", no average salary, no % employed. At least on the career opportunities page...maybe I'm missing something though.

I'd be skeptical, and I would suggest that you reach out the school to see if you can get a full employment report to help you judge the outcomes

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29360 [0], given: 5298

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 14:37
One way you can evaluate it is based on the competitiveness of applicants - do you know the average GMAT Score? What about GPA and Work experience? You can also estimate it based on the number of applicants and other elements to get an idea (these things are harder to fudge than employment reports) but many European schools don't release their numbers :?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29360 [0], given: 5298

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: MBS

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 01:54
FredstarRR233 wrote:

Coming from India I can understand your concerns. Here the first evaluation is on the basis of ranking. Each B schools ranking uses specific sets of factors to rank them, thus until your requirements align with the factors they are not that useful. I suggest my students to create their own list of factors of doing an MBA like:
1) Industry
2) Profile
3) Linguistic/geographical and other barriers
4) Budget
This should help in creating a primary list of schools that you would target. Once you have your score you can further filter your list. It would also help to look into the current economy of the region too.
In terms of European schools please also understand most school in Europe do not require a GMAT score, it is an add on. This isn't the same as in USA where GMAT is a necessary requirement to apply to a top B school. European schools are good too however they serve very specific industries/ profile.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 05:42
Current EAE Business School Student in Madrid

I am originally from the States and being part of the AACSB, AEEDE, and is #2 ranked on MERCO has nothing to do with the quality of education in Europe. EAE does not require the GMAT.. for a reason.

Problems I have encountered during my studies:
1. 80% of the the professors are not able to express themselves in English (in an English program). I have had really great professors that unfortunately have no idea how to communicate with us.
2. The majority of the administration also does not speak English.
3. Lack of support from the administration. We do not have any events or team building activities (as promised). This also decreases the students' motivation and increases absences.

In short: This school is on the lower range in terms of tuition. You get what you pay for. If you are looking into a quick and cheap degree where you may learn a lot if you are extremely self motivated, this is the place for you.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Determining Quality of School such as EAE in Spain   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 05:42

Determining Quality of School such as EAE in Spain

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap