It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Difference between interview by student vs adcom?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Research (Education)
Difference between interview by student vs adcom? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 02:46
I didn't want to post this in the current applicant thread in hopes of avoiding being insensitive :S

So I interviewed today, and I almost flipped afterwards when I found out my interviewer was the director of admissions. It seemed like most other students had 2nd year students interview them. I suppose one reason I got this person may be due to my non-traditional background; anyone has any insight?

Then I almost flipped again when my interviewer sent me an email first during the full day of events (I felt strangely cheated?!?!). It wasn't anything too special but personalized a little bit. Again, is this normal? Anyone has any experience like this?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Difference between interview by student vs adcom? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 07:37
Yes I had an interview with ad com. He explained it is no different than a student interview and he was there because my student couldn't make it due to weather.

He also didn't initiate the email to me first like to you, but I did receive a courteous reply. Just to clarify, he was the one that initiated the email, right?

Posted from my mobile device

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 09:37
Yes, my interviewer sent me a thank you note first ?!?! haha I know we cannot read much into these kinds of things, but I thought it was interesting (and I was a bit surprised). I really loved Yale SOM and I really love it even more after the visit. I've only visited a very small # of schools but it really stood out to me that SOM cares about its students, and that caring somehow radiates within the current students as well as the applicants it attracts. People were so down to earth and kind.

How did you like your experience with SOM so far?

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 10:09
Well at the least it can't be bad news. Good for you.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 97

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 11:03
Iagree,it seems to me that director of admission decided to go with your non traditional background.But given by the fact he initiated the email interaction, I would stay optimistic on this one.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 97

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 11:35
Guys, stop being so sexist. It was a She :P I kind of purposefully kept it as "the interviewer" but man, gender bias is alive and well :P

Poking fun aside, I hope you guys also had wonderful visits!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 45

Schools: Yale '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 14:01
My reply's probably a bit outdated but for the sake of future generations reading this...

There's no difference between student interviewer or adcom. If you interview on campus, it will most likely be a student interviewer, unless there's not enough students volunteering that day, then adcom/other staff would fill in.

Also I would say, it's not unusual for SOM interviewers to send thank you notes to the interviewee first :) It's just to show our appreciation that you took the time to come down all the way to New Haven to talk to us!

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 45

Re: Difference between interview by student vs adcom?   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2016, 14:01

Difference between interview by student vs adcom?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap