GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 19:52
Hi,

I am a 32 years old Indian Male with a GMAT score of 690. I applied to 7 B-Schools this year and got dinged from all of them without an interview. I have an MBA from an elite school in India, but want to expand my horizon and scope of work and gain some international experience; hence, want to do a second MBA. I am currently the head of a Marketing agency in Mumbai and have a total of 6 years of experience in the Marketing field in different industries: real estate, BFSI, FMCG, entertainment.

List of Schools I had applied to:

1. Rotman
2. Kellogg
3. Ross
4. Cornell
5. Tepper
6. INSEAD
7. HEC Paris

A low GMAT score and age on the higher side are the two obvious reasons I can think of. [/b]
My essays were well thought through and written (took help from international consultants) and my recommendations were pretty good. Is there a way I could get them reviewed on this forum?
Undergrad GPA again was above average.

I want to know from my peers and experts about the other possible reasons and my chances if I want to re-apply next year (Considering I improve my GMAT score by 30-40 points).
How to go about it? What should be my strategy? Is it even a possibility given my age and the fact that it's a second MBA?

Regards
Consortium Thread Master
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 19:59
Sorry to hear about the dings, have you asked any of the above schools as to whether you can get any feedback on your application? Also, did you check in with the programs to ensure that they generally accept applicants with previous MBAs? To the last point, some programs do not accept applicants with previous MBAs.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 20:15
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I did check with all the schools before applying. They all accept second MBAs.

Schools are not able to provide individual feedback because of the large pool of applicants. I did write back to many of these schools and got the same reply.


regards
Personal MBA Coach Founder
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1643
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 21:12
anshuman203 wrote:
Hi,

I am a 32 years old Indian Male with a GMAT score of 690. I applied to 7 B-Schools this year and got dinged from all of them without an interview. I have an MBA from an elite school in India, but want to expand my horizon and scope of work and gain some international experience; hence, want to do a second MBA. I am currently the head of a Marketing agency in Mumbai and have a total of 6 years of experience in the Marketing field in different industries: real estate, BFSI, FMCG, entertainment.

List of Schools I had applied to:

1. Rotman
2. Kellogg
3. Ross
4. Cornell
5. Tepper
6. INSEAD
7. HEC Paris

A low GMAT score and age on the higher side are the two obvious reasons I can think of. [/b]
My essays were well thought through and written (took help from international consultants) and my recommendations were pretty good. Is there a way I could get them reviewed on this forum?
Undergrad GPA again was above average.

I want to know from my peers and experts about the other possible reasons and my chances if I want to re-apply next year (Considering I improve my GMAT score by 30-40 points).
How to go about it? What should be my strategy? Is it even a possibility given my age and the fact that it's a second MBA?

Regards



Hi Anshuman,

I'm sorry to hear about the dings during the past cycle.

If I may ask, how did the consultant you worked with have you address the need for an American/international MBA after earning one in India? Perhaps the adcoms weren't sure about your goals post-MBA or you didn't spell out exactly how you planned to leverage what you had learned into your experience at a new school. I'm only postulating, however.

Yes, the GMAT is a bit low as you know, but I think with the right approach you could earn a spot at a t25 school. We do offer ding reports where I'd take a deeper dive into your essays/resume and help you framework your profile going forward. If that's something you'd be interested in learning about more shoot me an email at scott@personalmbacoach.com, would love to chat!

Regards,

Personal MBA Coach

www.personalmbacoach.com
_________________
Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2390
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 22:27
That sucks. I am so sorry. Traumatizing. Working right now with a dear Indian male IT ish startup client who had the same experience with all top 12 schools minus Duke interview. IIT, 740. But low WE awful essays/goals (even w US consultant!) and no ECs. He got into Ross yesterday, Darden and CMU w scholarship.

I would say you are punching a bit above your weight...I am hesitant to apply Indian male clients (yes even marketing) to schools where they have scores less than 20 pts over the average GMAT. There is just going to be someone (Indian guy) as special and exceptional standing behind you with a better score.

I agree goals need to be strong and well articulated but PGDG should not be dealbreaker. Would love to check out your stuff and might encourage you to apply Feb 1 (R1) to IMD which would reduce age and GMAT barriers.

Maybe IE if it makes sense.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 19:56
Thank you coaches!

I will connect with you separately on this. Shall share my profile and see if we can work out something from there. I am disappointed, true, but I am still hopeful.

Regards
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 03:42
anshuman203 wrote:
Hi,

I am a 32 years old Indian Male with a GMAT score of 690. I applied to 7 B-Schools this year and got dinged from all of them without an interview. I have an MBA from an elite school in India, but want to expand my horizon and scope of work and gain some international experience; hence, want to do a second MBA. I am currently the head of a Marketing agency in Mumbai and have a total of 6 years of experience in the Marketing field in different industries: real estate, BFSI, FMCG, entertainment.

List of Schools I had applied to:

1. Rotman
2. Kellogg
3. Ross
4. Cornell
5. Tepper
6. INSEAD
7. HEC Paris

A low GMAT score and age on the higher side are the two obvious reasons I can think of. [/b]
My essays were well thought through and written (took help from international consultants) and my recommendations were pretty good. Is there a way I could get them reviewed on this forum?
Undergrad GPA again was above average.

I want to know from my peers and experts about the other possible reasons and my chances if I want to re-apply next year (Considering I improve my GMAT score by 30-40 points).
How to go about it? What should be my strategy? Is it even a possibility given my age and the fact that it's a second MBA?

Regards



Hi ,

I retook GMAT today and scored 720 (Q-51. VA-35). I don't know how good or bad this score is considering the wide gap in VA and Q scores and the fact that I am from India where the average GMAT score is a few notches higher. Would request for expert and peer review of my profile and score and suggest the list of B-schools I can apply to.

Thanks!
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2390
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 05:07
Here are my reflections. I'm a little concerned about the fact that you've worked in so many Industries in only six years. Same line of work I hope?

And it's curious - your overall career Arc.

Are there are good dotted lines between what you have done and the goals that you established in your applications? Do you look marketable and hireable?

You get dinged if you choose goals that are not suitable for someone your age.

Also wouldn't always assume that the Consultants you worked with are on track with the essays. So I would have you have others check those out.

Really don't encourage Indians to apply to any program where their GMAT is not at least 20 points over the class average. It's simply not realistic... I think the Consultants you were working with should have realized that.

yes I do agree the GMAT is a big obstacle and I would really encourage you to find a verbal tutor and get 20 more points on top of that score so that you can be competitive.

I would encourage you to look at 1 year programs so if you reapply to Kellogg and Cornell I would encourage you to do that through the one-year programs which is designed for people like yourself who already have a masters. And throw in Emery as well. They also have a one year.

Would recommend that you try for London Business School, they like more seasoned applicants...IESE.. and take a look at Sloan Fellows.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 05:57
1
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Here are my reflections. I'm a little concerned about the fact that you've worked in so many Industries in only six years. Same line of work I hope?

And it's curious - your overall career Arc.

Are there are good dotted lines between what you have done and the goals that you established in your applications? Do you look marketable and hireable?

You get dinged if you choose goals that are not suitable for someone your age.

Also wouldn't always assume that the Consultants you worked with are on track with the essays. So I would have you have others check those out.

Really don't encourage Indians to apply to any program where their GMAT is not at least 20 points over the class average. It's simply not realistic... I think the Consultants you were working with should have realized that.

yes I do agree the GMAT is a big obstacle and I would really encourage you to find a verbal tutor and get 20 more points on top of that score so that you can be competitive.

I would encourage you to look at 1 year programs so if you reapply to Kellogg and Cornell I would encourage you to do that through the one-year programs which is designed for people like yourself who already have a masters. And throw in Emery as well. They also have a one year.

Would recommend that you try for London Business School, they like more seasoned applicants...IESE.. and take a look at Sloan Fellows.

Posted from my mobile device


Thanks Farrell! I would definitely like to give it another try as 720 is not a competitive score for most of the Tier-1 Schools, considering my demographics.

But can I apply to the one-year MBA program at Kellogg and Cornell with this score? Just asking.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2390
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 01:37
anshuman203

The class average GMAT score for 1 year for Kellogg is 700 so yes I think 720 would put you in contention as long as your application is Kick-Ass.
To be clear you definitely need to be able to achieve your career goal without an internship. J Term at CBS would be another possibility. Still encourage you to do Emory as a safety.

anshuman203 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Here are my reflections. I'm a little concerned about the fact that you've worked in so many Industries in only six years. Same line of work I hope?

And it's curious - your overall career Arc.

Are there are good dotted lines between what you have done and the goals that you established in your applications? Do you look marketable and hireable?

You get dinged if you choose goals that are not suitable for someone your age.

Also wouldn't always assume that the Consultants you worked with are on track with the essays. So I would have you have others check those out.

Really don't encourage Indians to apply to any program where their GMAT is not at least 20 points over the class average. It's simply not realistic... I think the Consultants you were working with should have realized that.

yes I do agree the GMAT is a big obstacle and I would really encourage you to find a verbal tutor and get 20 more points on top of that score so that you can be competitive.

I would encourage you to look at 1 year programs so if you reapply to Kellogg and Cornell I would encourage you to do that through the one-year programs which is designed for people like yourself who already have a masters. And throw in Emery as well. They also have a one year.

Would recommend that you try for London Business School, they like more seasoned applicants...IESE.. and take a look at Sloan Fellows.

Posted from my mobile device


Thanks Farrell! I would definitely like to give it another try as 720 is not a competitive score for most of the Tier-1 Schools, considering my demographics.

But can I apply to the one-year MBA program at Kellogg and Cornell with this score? Just asking.

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2019, 01:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne