It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I Need an MBA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Do I Need an MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 13:03
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

I have always viewed the experience of an MBA as an enticing opportunity and one that I would enjoy. From a personal standpoint, I feel it would be an enriching and enjoyable way to spend my late 20's and grow professionally but am having difficulty justifying it quantitatively. My current position and compensation are already comparable to post-grad outcomes and liquidating my life savings seems extreme to realize these gains. Largely, it seems I'd pursue an MBA because I want to, not because I need to. Is this a valid reason to do an MBA? Is anyone else pursuing an MBA to maintain optionality in their future and to be influenced by other bright ambitious minds? What else besides career progression does an MBA provide? Any additional thoughts on other areas of growth I may be ignoring would be greatly appreciated.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Queens MBA Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Do I Need an MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 13:46
JohnSchnitzel wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

I faced a similar dilemma when I was deciding to do an MBA. I out worked just about anyone in my company, and had a great manager who recognized it. Pretty soon I was earning substantially more than my peers. An MBA had been in my plans for awhile, but the more successful I became, the less motivated I was to quit work to pursue school. I decided to compromise and do a part time MBA, that would allow me to keep my great job and continue on my career path.

Some of the things that convinced me to jump in were;

- Financially I will be able to pay for the total amount with cash by the end of my program, and leave one of the top ranked programs in Canada debt-free

- Although I plan to stay with my company, having the MBA lends a lot of credibility if ever I was to search for a job outside of my company, city or country where I don't have a reputation

- Pursuing the MBA signals to the company that I am dedicated to my career and pursing a senior management role

- The MBA will allow me to learn strategy and management skills, that were lacking in my undergrad degree (Finance)

- added credibility and skills if I were to start my own company, or do consulting work

At the end of the day I think it will be a wonderful learning experience, and I think it will help take me to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Do I Need an MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 21:18
This is a question often asked by my clients who are working at Amazon or whatever. And I believe the reason they are moving forward is for the purpose of becoming viable for Senior Management. I think the argument for it would be growth in the future obviously what got you here won't get you there. However if that's really not in the plans for you then I don't think spending $200,000 on an education makes a lot of sense. Especially when you could do something smaller like Coursera or something to fill in the knowledge gaps. Think about all the different things in MBA would bring to you and then really assess if $200,000 is a price tag you can live with. Also two years out of the workforce is that going to help you or hurt you. These are some of the things I would consider. You might arrive at the conclusion that a one-year MBA would make more sense.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 76

Re: Do I Need an MBA?   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2017, 21:18

Do I Need an MBA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap