It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doubts regarding Singular/Plural Subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Doubts regarding Singular/Plural Subjects [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 10:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hello Experts

There are some subjects that could be singular or plural and I am confused how to identify them.

Few examples:
Consider the below sentence

a) Repairing the foreclosed properties that are in bad condition are the latest initiative by the bank to stay competitive in the real estate market in which selling homes is not a easy task

In this q -: Repairing the foreclosed properties is a phrase and treated as the subject of this sentence. The verb of the above sentence is "ARE".
Since the subject is a phrase and phrases are singular, ccan we treat this as Singular thus making the verb "IS" ?

In the same sentence, selling homes is a phrase and the subject here.. so here it is singular although we are talking about selling MULTIPLE HOMES. How is the verb singular "IS" ?

b) Reading mystery books gives me thrill - Here - one is reading multiple mystery books - not just one.. So why is it SINGULAR gives ? Although give sounds awkward but by the subject refers to multiple books.

c) Rising commercial real estate rates, a gauge used to determine the strength of the market, are likely to deter people from buying homes - In this sentence, Rising commercial real estate rates is a phrase and thus should be Singular.. So the verb should be IS and not ARE? Although multiple rates are rising but isn't a phrase singular just like Reading mystery books is Singular?

This is confusing. Can someone please help explain how to identify singular or plural subjects especially when it comes to phrases.

Thanks v much!!

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Doubts regarding Singular/Plural Subjects [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 10:46
cuhmoon wrote:
Hello Experts

There are some subjects that could be singular or plural and I am confused how to identify them.

Few examples:
Consider the below sentence

a) Repairing the foreclosed properties that are in bad condition are the latest initiative by the bank to stay competitive in the real estate market in which selling homes is not a easy task

In this q -: Repairing the foreclosed properties is a phrase and treated as the subject of this sentence. The verb of the above sentence is "ARE".
Since the subject is a phrase and phrases are singular, ccan we treat this as Singular thus making the verb "IS" ?

In the same sentence, selling homes is a phrase and the subject here.. so here it is singular although we are talking about selling MULTIPLE HOMES. How is the verb singular "IS" ?

b) Reading mystery books gives me thrill - Here - one is reading multiple mystery books - not just one.. So why is it SINGULAR gives ? Although give sounds awkward but by the subject refers to multiple books.

c) Rising commercial real estate rates, a gauge used to determine the strength of the market, are likely to deter people from buying homes - In this sentence, Rising commercial real estate rates is a phrase and thus should be Singular.. So the verb should be IS and not ARE? Although multiple rates are rising but isn't a phrase singular just like Reading mystery books is Singular?

This is confusing. Can someone please help explain how to identify singular or plural subjects especially when it comes to phrases.

Thanks v much!!

All the examples you have mentioned consists of a gerund subject phrase - subject phrases with gerunds are ALWAYS SINGULAR !

Repairing the foreclosed properties that are in bad condition are the latest initiative by the bank to stay competitive in the real estate market in which selling homes is not a easy task... WRONG. The verb should be "is".

Retired Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 10:53
VERB-ING functions:
1. Verb-ING word as a noun
2. Verb-ING word as an adjective
3.Verb-ING as a verb with the helping verb.

1. Verbing words funciton as nouns that denote an action.

EX: Growing plants IS my hobby.

Here growing is the verb-ing noun because the word acts as a noun and hence the subject of the clause, but it also denotes the action.

VERB-ING nouns is that they are always SINGULAR. Reading mystery books gives me thrill..

2.VERB-ING as an adjective.

Verb-ing words function as adjectives.here it provides extra information of a particular noun entity...When the verb-ing word acts as an adjective, it doesn't have bearing on the verb of the sentence.The verb must agree in number and makes sense with subject of the sentence.

ex: Growing plants in your backyard need more care..

Here growing is adjective that presents a characteristic of the plants...what kind of plants need more care ? The plants that are growing.

3.VERB-ing as a verb with a helping verb:
These verb-ing along with helping verbs function as verbs...

ex: I am growing banana plants in my farm...here growing is not able to tell the tense of the word but it is helping verb that tells the tense...

Hope it helps...

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 13:33
msk0657 wrote:
VERB-ING functions:

Here growing is the verb-ing noun because the word acts as a noun and hence the subject of the clause, but it also denotes the action.

VERB-ING nouns is that they are always SINGULAR. Reading mystery books gives me thrill..

Verb-ing words function as adjectives.here it provides extra information of a particular noun entity...When the verb-ing word acts as an adjective, it doesn't have bearing on the verb of the sentence.The verb must agree in number and makes sense with subject of the sentence.

Here growing is adjective that presents a characteristic of the plants...what kind of plants need more care ? The plants that are growing.

ex: I am growing banana plants in my farm...here growing is not able to tell the tense of the word but it is helping verb that tells the tense...

Hope it helps...

This explanation is amazing. Thanks for providing so much conceptual clarity.!!

So to summarize.. If the verbing word is performing the function of a noun, it is usually singular. When as an adjective it depends on the sentence..

Is my understanding correct?

How about this sentence.

Rising property rates is of concern to homeowners

Or

ARE of concern to homeowners?

(should be ARE?)

How about this one:

Rising of property rates IS of concern

Or

ARE of concern.

Since rising is the subject thus singular?

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 19:08
msk0657 wrote:
VERB-ING functions:

Hope it helps...

How about this sentence:

The french handed over the information to the Poles because they believed it to be of no value.

How is The French Plural here? Isn't it referring to a Single Entity "The French"... Please help explain

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 10:01
cuhmoon wrote:
msk0657 wrote:
VERB-ING functions:

Hope it helps...

So to summarize.. If the verbing word is performing the function of a noun, it is usually singular. When as an adjective it depends on the sentence..

How about this sentence.

Or

(should be ARE?)

How about this one:

Or

ARE of concern.

1. Rising property rates is of concern to homeowners.
"Rising" is NOT the subject - it is the adjective for the subject "property rates". Since "rates" is plural, the verb should also be plural. (An adjective cannot be singular or plural. ONLY a noun can be singular or plural).

2. Rising of property rates IS of concern.
Here "rising" is a gerund (noun) and as stated previously in my post, a gerund is always singular. (The sentence is wrong though - concrete noun rise is better than gerund rising.)

There is a fourth use of verb-ing - as a present participle.
The temperature rose drastically, increasing the sale of air-conditioners.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cuhmoon wrote:
msk0657 wrote:
VERB-ING functions:

Hope it helps...

How about this sentence:

The french handed over the information to the Poles because they believed it to be of no value.

How is The French Plural here? Isn't it referring to a Single Entity "The French"... Please help explain

The French is used to mean the French people - hence plural.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [1], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Your question:

How about this sentence:

How is The French Plural here? Isn't it referring to a Single Entity "The French"... Please help explain[/quote]

Meaning : The french handed over the information to the Poles because they believed it to be of no value.

Let's replace they with it...

The french handed over the information to the poles it believed it to be of no value...Incorrect..

They here refers to the french and the poles..but as per meaning wise it is the French who thought such information is of no value.

When you emphasize the individual actors , not their unity , then collective nouns can be considered plural that too in some rare circumstances.

I'll will agree with Sayant..for the other explanations...

Kudos [?]: 180 [1], given: 45

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 12:46
sayantanc2k wrote:
cuhmoon wrote:
msk0657 wrote:
VERB-ING functions:

Hope it helps...

How about this sentence.

Or

(should be ARE?)

How about this one:

Or

ARE of concern.

1. Rising property rates is of concern to homeowners.
"Rising" is NOT the subject - it is the adjective for the subject "property rates". Since "rates" is plural, the verb should also be plural. (An adjective cannot be singular or plural. ONLY a noun can be singular or plural).

2. Rising of property rates IS of concern.
Here "rising" is a gerund (noun) and as stated previously in my post, a gerund is always singular. (The sentence is wrong though - concrete noun rise is better than gerund rising.)

There is a fourth use of verb-ing - as a present participle.
The temperature rose drastically, increasing the sale of air-conditioners.

Great explanation! Thank you!!

How about this official question:

Eating saltwater fish may significantly reduce the risk of heart attacks and also aid for sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, according to three research studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In this case, Eating Saltwater fish --> This should be singular.. How come they use the PLURAL verb Reduce and not REDUCES?

Retired Moderator
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 01:54

Your quesstion : Eating saltwater fish may significantly reduce the risk of heart attacks and also aid for sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, according to three research studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In this case, Eating Saltwater fish --> This should be singular.. How come they use the PLURAL verb Reduce and not REDUCES?

In this sentence, 'eating' is a verb-ing noun that makes the subject of the sentence. But if 'MAY' is removed , then eating will take singular verb 'reduces'.

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 13:24
msk0657 wrote:

Your quesstion : Eating saltwater fish may significantly reduce the risk of heart attacks and also aid for sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, according to three research studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In this sentence, 'eating' is a verb-ing noun that makes the subject of the sentence. But if 'MAY' is removed , then eating will take singular verb 'reduces'.

How does May make the verb plural??

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 213

GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 20:01
msk0657 wrote:

It would be great help if you can throw some light on How does may make singular subject to plural.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 213

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 11:23
cuhmoon wrote:
msk0657 wrote:

shubham2312 wrote:
It would be great help if you can throw some light on How does may make singular subject to plural.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

This is where we get into basics, I think. Well,

What do you use after can, may or should?

Do you say

I can swim OR I can swims

He may come late OR He may comes late

?

So as you see, it's not a matter of may making a singular subject plural. There is no such thing. These forms may, can, should, will etc. take bare infinitive after them.

Seize the day.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Doubts regarding Singular/Plural Subjects   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2017, 11:23

Doubts regarding Singular/Plural Subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap