GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 11:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:26) correct 28% (01:39) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has had at least 60℅ of its players born during the months January to March. Similarly, in Germany, at least 50℅ of the team has been born during the first three months of the year. In fact, this statistic holds true for most European countries. This shows that in most European countries, parents with kids born early in the year are more likely to encourage a football career.

Which of the following best explains why the conclusion need not be the best explanation for the statistic?

A. Of the remaining members, 60℅ or more tend to be born between the months of April and June.
B. Parents of kids born in the second half of the year have displayed a measurable intent to promote scholarly careers
C. The age cut-off for kids to try out for a team in most European countries is calculated as on December 31 of any year and older the kid during trials, greater the chances of getting the right opportunities.
D. The school year usually begins in April in most European countries and many parents are known to encourage students to work on their academics and not sports during the school year.
E. During the last 50 years, on average 30℅ of the kids have been born during the first three months of the year.

Wizaku

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Manager
Manager
B
Re: During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 11:42
D for me since it provides an alternative reasoning why parents after Q1 focus more on not football related issues.
Director
Director
P
Re: During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 13:56
During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has had at least 60℅ of its players born during the months January to March. Similarly, in Germany, at least 50℅ of the team has been born during the first three months of the year. In fact, this statistic holds true for most European countries. This shows that in most European countries, parents with kids born early in the year are more likely to encourage a football career.

Which of the following best explains why the conclusion need not be the best explanation for the statistic?

C. The age cut-off for kids to try out for a team in most European countries is calculated as on December 31 of any year and older the kid during trials, greater the chances of getting the right opportunities.

IMO option C provides the best explanation for statistic. Since Kids born in the first three months of of the year have better chances to get in team, this option says that the age cut-off for kids to try out for a team in most European countries is calculated as on December 31 and older the kid during trials, greater the chances of getting the right opportunities. :-)

In English I speak with a dictionary, and with people I am shy.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:20
Gemelo90 wrote:
D for me since it provides an alternative reasoning why parents after Q1 focus more on not football related issues.

Gemelo90
D provides connection between academics and encouragement whereas argument is about month of birth and encouragement, hence D cant be correct answer :-)

In English I speak with a dictionary, and with people I am shy.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:24
SajjadAhmad wrote:

A. Of the remaining members, 60℅ or more tend to be born between the months of April and June.
B. Parents of kids born in the second half of the year have displayed a measurable intent to promote scholarly careers
D. The school year usually begins in April in most European countries and many parents are known to encourage students to work on their academics and not sports during the school year.
E. During the last 50 years, on average 30℅ of the kids have been born during the first three months of the year.

Wizaku

C for me.

It shows why it should be the case apart from the mentioned reason (Parents).
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 02:19
It has to be C. It's the only answer that shows why children born in those months would have a higher likelihood of reaching the national team, and goes against the parents' encouragement option in D. If you have read Gladwell's Outliers it certainly helps as this question is essentially a summary of one of the chapters:)
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.47
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User
During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 17:14
Choice D says nothing about the birth month of the children. You don't need to be born in the first few months of the year to practice before school starts in April.

C is correct, as a cut-off date of 12/31 will make the children, who were born earlier in the year, older during trials. The premise states that this is an advantage.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Duke '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Other (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 21:37
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Wizaku

Stimulus:
In England: at least 60% FB team born from 1-3
In Germany: at leat 50% FB team born from 1-3
This stats true for most countries
Conclution: parents with kids born from 1-3 are more likely to encourage a football career.

weaken:
I see the gap here:
from the statistic of more kids from 1-3 in team to conclude "more encourage". Authors assume this link. There maybe the case that parents with kids born equally or even more encourage. But children from 1-3 is older and can play better than others.

IMO: C

Kudo is nothing but encouragement!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 23:35

This was exactly my thought process!

Chengdoo86 wrote:
It has to be C. It's the only answer that shows why children born in those months would have a higher likelihood of reaching the national team, and goes against the parents' encouragement option in D. If you have read Gladwell's Outliers it certainly helps as this question is essentially a summary of one of the chapters:)

P.S. I had to give a Kudos for the reference to Outliers. Cheers!

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jul 2018, 23:35

During the last 50 years in England, the national football team has ha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap