It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:10

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of tree

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1031 [7], given: 136

Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of tree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2012, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

68% (02:21) correct 32% (04:32) wrong based on 2014 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of trees in a certain orchard by 1/4 of the number of trees in the orchard of the preceding year. If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 4 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period.

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Can someone walk me through the logic behind this question. I am able to solve this by using options as well as by assuming the number of trees = x. However, had the question been, "If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period". then it would have been difficult to solve.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kudos [?]: 1031 [7], given: 136

Expert Post
20 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128862 [20], given: 12183

Re: Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of tree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2012, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
imhimanshu wrote:
Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of trees in a certain orchard by 1/4 of the number of trees in the orchard of the preceding year. If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 4 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period.

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Can someone walk me through the logic behind this question. I am able to solve this by using options as well as by assuming the number of trees = x. However, had the question been, "If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period". then it would have been difficult to solve.

Thanks

Say the number of trees at the beginning of the 4 year period was x, then:
At the end of the 1st year the number of trees would be \(x+\frac{1}{4}x=\frac{5}{4}*x\);
At the end of the 2nd year the number of trees would be \((\frac{5}{4})^2*x\);
At the end of the 3rd year the number of trees would be \((\frac{5}{4})^3*x\);
At the end of the 4th year the number of trees would be \((\frac{5}{4})^4*x\);
At the end of the \(n_{th}\) year the number of trees would be \((\frac{5}{4})^n*x\);

So, we have that \((\frac{5}{4})^4*x=6,250\) --> \(\frac{5^4}{4^4}*x=5^4*10\) --> \(x=4^4*10=2,560\).

Answer: D.

If the question were "if all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period", then we would have that: \((\frac{5}{4})^{15}*x=6,250\) --> \(x\neq{integer}\), so it would be a flawed question.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128862 [20], given: 12183

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2012, 10:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

At the end of the 1st year the number of trees would be \(x+\frac{1}{4}x=\frac{5}{4}*x\);
At the end of the \(n_{th}\) year the number of trees would be \((\frac{5}{4})^n*x\);

So, we have that \((\frac{5}{4})^4*x=6,250\) --> \(\frac{5^4}{4^4}*x=5^4*10\) --> \(x=4^4*10=2,560\).

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for the explanation.

Could you please explain how did you arrive at the below equation without any calculations. While solving this question, I did the calculations for every subsequent year and then found the year. How did you make sure that number of trees after first year will get multiplied by 5/4. i.e it will create GP.

Apologies, if the question seems quite basic.

Bunuel wrote:
If the question were "if all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period", then we would have that: \((\frac{5}{4})^{15}*x=6,250\) --> \(x\neq{integer}\), so it would be a flawed question.

Hope it's clear.

The scenario was a hypothetical one. I just wanted to know how things get changed if no of years gets increased.

Thanks
H

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17358 [11], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2012, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

The number of trees increases by 1/4 i.e. 25% every year. It is just a matter of thinking in terms of successive percentage changes e.g. population increase. Here, we are talking about the increase of tree population.

If x increases by 25%, how we denote it? (5/4)*x
If next year, this new number increases by 25% again, how do we denote it? (5/4)*(5/4)*x
and so on...

For more on this, check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/02 ... e-changes/

So if we are taking into account 4 years, we simply get (5/4)^4 * x = 6250

As for your next question, the numbers given would be such that the calculation will not be tough.

Say, you have 8 years and 100% increase every year (population doubles every year). The final population will be divisible by 2^8 i.e. 256.
Something like 2^8 * x = 2560

and if you meant what you wrote (though I considered that the 4 was a typo because of the language of the question) "If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period", note that you still need to work with

(5/4)^4 * x = 6250
since you need the number of trees 4 yrs back only. The only thing is that the answer (2560) needs to be divisible by \(5^{11}\) which it isn't so there is a problem in this question. If it were an actual question, the answer would be divisible by \(5^{11}\) but you wouldn't really need to bother about it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17358 [11], given: 232

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 2620 [4], given: 193

Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2013, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
Trees increase 1/4th every year, which means 100 trees become 125 after 1 yr & so on
So, 125/100 = 5/4 is the resultant (after adding 1/4 as the growth) for 1 year
So, for 4 yrs is 5^4/(4^4)
From the condition given, inital trees were = 6250 x 4^4 / 5^4 = 2560

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Kudos [?]: 2620 [4], given: 193

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 09:31
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

Hope it's clear.

Isn't the question quite ambiguous, though? I mean the first scentence could be interpreted as "for the first year we have (4/4)x and for the second year (5/4)x and for the third..." etc.. With that reasoning one would have (5/4)^3 * x + x and then your approach doesnt work.

Obviously, I understand that this was a flaw in my reasoning but I cannot understand how they - with that wording - will assume that we totally understand that at the end of year one he has (5/4)x..

Is there a straightforward "word translation" way in knowing how to interpret wordings like this?

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 47

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 17358 [0], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 23:34
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aeglorre wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

Hope it's clear.

Isn't the question quite ambiguous, though? I mean the first scentence could be interpreted as "for the first year we have (4/4)x and for the second year (5/4)x and for the third..." etc.. With that reasoning one would have (5/4)^3 * x + x and then your approach doesnt work.

Obviously, I understand that this was a flaw in my reasoning but I cannot understand how they - with that wording - will assume that we totally understand that at the end of year one he has (5/4)x..

Is there a straightforward "word translation" way in knowing how to interpret wordings like this?

Actually, it is not ambiguous. Read the statement:
Each year a farmer increased the number of trees by 1/4. He did this for 4 years. (In GMAT Verbal and Quant are integrated. You need Verbal skills (slash and burn) in Quant and Quant skills (Data Interpretation) in Verbal.

So in the first year, he increased it by 1/4
The next year, he again increased it by 1/4 (of preceding year)
Next year, again the same.
Next year, again the same.
So he did it for a total of 4 years.

So if initially the number of trees was x, in the first year he made them (5/4)x

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [4], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2014, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
it can easily solved by compound interest formula
R = 25%
P = original number of trees
N = no of times of compounding within a year = 1
T = total number of years = 4

P+I at the end of compounding years = 6250
hence,

6250 = (1 + 0.25/1)^(4*1) * P
5^4*10 = 1.25^4 * P
(5/1/25)^4 *10 = P
4^4 * 10 = P
2560 = P

Another way to think is to pick ans choice which is exactly divisible by 4. A, B and C are not. Only D and E are.
Pick D and increase it by 25% for 4 times, you should get 6250.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Kudos [?]: 67 [4], given: 110

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 18:06
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Need your help in clarifying some ambiguity in my understanding.

Question 1: When I read this, I was a little confused with the verbiage of "end of year" vs. "beginning of year".
Meaning, I interpreted it as:

EOY(End of Year) 1:x
EOY 2: 5/4x

So I actually had (5/4)^3 (x) = 6250.

Why is my reasoning flawed? I always seem to get stuck on this type of verbiage. Is there a general rule here? Am I to assume that, in this case, if the farmer started planting these trees in January 2014, he had x in January 2014 and then added 1/4x in December 2014?

Question 2:Additionally, can you maybe elaborate a little on something rather trivial:
I took the rather tedious approach of "x + 1/4x" and I kept on using this approach for every year. This resulted in quite a bit of math when the more elegant solution is to multiply the prior year by 5/4. Can you please touch on WHY we multiply by 5/4 and when this wouldn't work?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2014, 10:27
Another easy way to think about this is the following:
Y1’s amount of trees = T
Year 2 is ¼ of T + T. Or 1.25T. You can continue this multiplication for the 4 years so at the end of 4 years, 1.25 x 1.25 x 1.25 x 1.25 x T =6250. Thus, T = 6250/1.25 = 5000/1.25 = 4000/1.25 = 3200/1.25 = 2560 trees in year 1.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 10:08
Hi Karishma,

I am not able to solve it by below method, where am I wrong:

6250*(3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4)

Regards,
Ravi

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 39

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 17358 [2], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
email2vm wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I am not able to solve it by below method, where am I wrong:

6250*(3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4)

Regards,
Ravi

If I increase A by 25% and get B, I will not get A if I reduce B by 25%. The bases are different in the two cases.

e.g. A = 80
25% of A is 20 so I increase A by 25% to get B = 100

Now if I decrease B by 25%, I will decrease B by 25 (25% of 100). This will give me 75 which is not the same as A (which is 80).

In the first step, I found 25% of 80 and added that. In the second step, I found 25% of 100 and subtracted that. These two numbers are different.

You will get the correct answer if you do 6250*(4/5)*(4/5)*(4/5)*(4/5)
4/5 is the inverse of 5/4 (which is 25% increase in x).

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17358 [2], given: 232

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 09:10
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

Hope it's clear.

How did you get from 5^4 / 4^4 * x = 5^4 * 10 to x = 4^4 x 10? What happened to the 5^4?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 12:01
You can use the formula A=p(1 + r/100)^n with r = 25%

You will get P as 2560.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 28

GMAT Date: 11-29-2014

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:59
Is it true that the number of trees in the beginning has to be a multiple of 4 (as additions are always 1/4 th of previous and will not be non-integers)? In that case I'm left with D or E.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 28

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 02:53
deeuk wrote:
Is it true that the number of trees in the beginning has to be a multiple of 4 (as additions are always 1/4 th of previous and will not be non-integers)? In that case I'm left with D or E.

Yes, that's correct. But you might still need to work with two options. On the other hand, working with 6250 will definitely yield the answer.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 224

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
Trees increase by 1/4 the number of trees in preceding year. Hence, correct answer must be divisible by 4. Based on divisibility rules, if last 2 digits are divisible by 4 then the number is divisible by 4. Thus, we can eliminate A, B, C. The answer has to be D or E.

Again, trees increase by 1/4 the number of trees in preceding year. Hence, the number of trees increase by 5/4 times the number of trees the preceding year.

If x = initial number of trees = Answer D or E = 2560 or 2752
Year 1 = 5/4x
Year 2 = (5/4)(5/4)x
Year 3 = (5/4)(5/4)(5/4)x
Year 4 = (5/4)(5/4)(5/4)(5/4)x

Only for Answer D: (5/4)(5/4)(5/4)(5/4) 2560 = 6250

Hence, correct answer = D

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 224

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 90

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 03:36
@VeritasPrepKarishma
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

A. 1250
B. 1563
C. 2250
D. 2560
E. 2752

Thanks

The number of trees increases by 1/4 i.e. 25% every year. It is just a matter of thinking in terms of successive percentage changes e.g. population increase. Here, we are talking about the increase of tree population.

If x increases by 25%, how we denote it? (5/4)*x
If next year, this new number increases by 25% again, how do we denote it? (5/4)*(5/4)*x
and so on...

For more on this, check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/02 ... e-changes/

So if we are taking into account 4 years, we simply get (5/4)^4 * x = 6250

As for your next question, the numbers given would be such that the calculation will not be tough.

Say, you have 8 years and 100% increase every year (population doubles every year). The final population will be divisible by 2^8 i.e. 256.
Something like 2^8 * x = 2560

and if you meant what you wrote (though I considered that the 4 was a typo because of the language of the question) "If all of the trees thrived and there were 6250 trees in the orchard at the end of 15 year period, how many trees were in the orchard at the beginning of the 4 year period", note that you still need to work with

(5/4)^4 * x = 6250
since you need the number of trees 4 yrs back only. The only thing is that the answer (2560) needs to be divisible by \(5^{11}\) which it isn't so there is a problem in this question. If it were an actual question, the answer would be divisible by \(5^{11}\) but you wouldn't really need to bother about it.

Karisma,

Your explication is a spot-on!

However, it still isn't clear to me why we are keeping the same base for the increase during the 4-year period time. To me, this seems to be an example of successive % in which the base is shifting every year. Indeed every year we have an increase of 25% more on the increase of the previous year.

Why is it incorrect to compute the increase of the successive year on the increased base of the previous year?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Regards,
Eli.

GMAT,
It is not finished untill I win!!!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 90

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 19:43
elisabettaportioli wrote:
However, it still isn't clear to me why we are keeping the same base for the increase during the 4-year period time. To me, this seems to be an example of successive % in which the base is shifting every year. Indeed every year we have an increase of 25% more on the increase of the previous year.

Why is it incorrect to compute the increase of the successive year on the increased base of the previous year?

Regards,
Eli.

The base for each year changes.

Say, you have 100 trees and you increase them by 20% each year.

At the end of the first year, you will have 100 + (20/100)*100 = 100*(1 + 20/100) = 100*120/100 = 100*(6/5) = 120 trees.

So if you have to increase a number by 20%, you just need to multiply it by 6/5 every time no matter what the number is.

By the same logic, next year, you will have 120 * (6/5) = 144 trees when you increase them by 20%.

You can write 120 as 100 * (6/5) and then multiply it by another 6/5 to increase 120 by 20%.

This is the same as 100 * (6/5) * (6/5) = 144 trees.

So every time you multiply it by 6/5, you increase the base. The next time you multiply it by 6/5, you are increasing the new base by 20%. This is the concept of successive percentage changes and I have discussed it in the link I mentioned in my post above.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5472 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 20:15
elisabettaportioli wrote:

Regards,
Eli.

hi,
you are correct that the increase is on the preceeding year and that is exactly what is happening when you are multiplying x by 5/4..
first year say it was x.. 2nd year it becomes 5/4*x.. now for next year when we write the value as 5/4*5/4*x, the increase is on 5/4*x and not x..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5472 [0], given: 112

Re: Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of tree   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2015, 20:15

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Each year for 4 years, a farmer increased the number of tree

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap