It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18092 [3], given: 236

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
akshaygaur wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lak waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.
The argument depends on assuming which of the following?
A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industria development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters.
B. Other than the possibility of a leak, there is no realistic pollution threat posed to the lake by the pipeline’s construction.
C. There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.
D. Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause.
E. The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfa now are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution.

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Take
My pick is B. I do not have OA. Please post OA if you have.

Responding to a pm: Why is (A) not correct?

What is the argument?
The argument is this: Leaks will be prevented so the oil pipeline will not cause pollution.

The argument focuses on the possible pollution caused by the oil pipeline in future, not any other source. The argument also doesn't say that the Lake will not be polluted through some other source. It narrowly focuses only on the pipeline. Hence (A) is not an assumption. It is out of scope for our argument. The argument only says that oil pipeline will not cause pollution. It doesn't say nothing else will cause pollution.

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for your prompt reply :). I agree that argument talks about"leaks". But the conclusion states that those fears would not hold true if the new technique is good. Now "fears" i suppose refers to the polluted lake and decline in fish population. If we negate (A), it will weaken this conclusion and hence could be a contender for correct answer.
Again, I am not at all challenging (B) is correct. I just want to know how to tackle such questions on actual GMAT within a limited time. :)

Logically you might think that fear will be "Lake will get polluted and fish population will decline" but the argument clearly mentions the fear as "Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again."

So the fear is that the oil pipeline will cause pollution. This is an important point in CR. You have to focus on exactly what the argument is saying. You cannot generalize nor can you use outside information. Think of it as a debate. Say some people are in favor of constructing a new pipeline and some are against. So both sides are putting their points forward. Now if someone says that there could some other new development which causes pollution, that is out of scope of this argument, right? We are only considering whether this pipeline will cause pollution.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18092 [3], given: 236

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 06:35
So the fear is that the oil pipeline will cause pollution. This is an important point in CR. You have to focus on exactly what the argument is saying. You cannot generalize nor can you use outside information. Think of it as a debate. Say some people are in favor of constructing a new pipeline and some are against. So both sides are putting their points forward. Now if someone says that there could some other new development which causes pollution, that is out of scope of this argument, right? We are only considering whether this pipeline will cause pollution.[/quote]

Thanks a ton. I finally got it!! Excellent explanation by you :)

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 14:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 23

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
mohand wrote:
why not "A" :|

A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industrial development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters. We are not talking about other constructions. Yes, other constructions can potentially disturb/cause toxic elements to rise, but it doesn't in any way weaken or strengthen the provided conclusion about the proposed pipeline. Hence it is always better to stick to the options that weaken/strengthen the provided conclusion
:-D :-D :-D

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mohand wrote:
why not "A" :|

A talks about other constructions, which may result in other fears. The conclusion of the argument specifies the fear arising from pipeline only as indicated by the phrase "those fears"

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 33

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 04:01
This post received
KUDOS
mestrec wrote:
And why not B? It looks good for me...

Option B already stated in the argument. hence cannot be assumption.

However, a technology for
preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.

B.There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 148

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 13

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 06:30
Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recently fish populations have recovered as release of industrial pollutants has declined and the lak waters have become cleaner. Fears are now being voiced that the planned construction of an oil pipeline across the lake’s bottom might revive pollution and cause the fish population to decline again. However, a technology for preventing leaks is being installed. Therefore, provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless.
A. Apart from development related to the pipeline, there will be no new industria development around the lake that will create renewed pollution in its waters.
B. Other than the possibility of a leak, there is no realistic pollution threat posed to the lake by the pipeline’s construction.
C. There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.
D. Damage to the lake’s fish populations would be the only harm that a leak of oil from the pipeline would cause.
E. The species of fish that are present in Lake Konfa now are the same as those that were in the lake before it was affected by pollution.

What is the argument?
The argument is this: Leaks will be prevented so the oil pipeline will not cause pollution.

The argument focuses on the possible pollution caused by the oil pipeline in future, not any other source. The argument also doesn't say that the Lake will not be polluted through some other source. It narrowly focuses only on the pipeline. Hence (A) is not an assumption. It is out of scope for our argument. The argument only says that oil pipeline will not cause pollution. It doesn't say nothing else will cause pollution.

Hi,

Can you please provide your comments for option C?

There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

if we negate it doesn't it break the argument.

There is reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18092 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 21:31
PathFinder007 wrote:

What is the argument?

Hi,

Can you please provide your comments for option C?

There is no reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

if we negate it doesn't it break the argument.

There is reason to believe that the leak-preventing technology would be ineffective when installed in the pipeline in Lake Konfa.

Thanks

This is our conclusion: "provided this technology is effective, those fears are groundless."

We are expressing opinion on what happens provided the technology is effective - in case the technology is effective, not whether it is effective. So it is a conditional conclusion.

"Is the technology actually effective", is not a part of the argument. It is out of scope for the argument. We are only arguing about what happens in case the technology is effective.

Check out this concept here: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/11 ... onclusion/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18092 [0], given: 236

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 08:17

There is no reference of an industrial construction or development in the argument. And the impact of such is also not discussed.

Correct Answer for the assumption question because this links the premise to the conclusion.Also if we do the negation test then the argument will fall apart.

Well the technology will be effective but the impacts of the installation of the technology are to be considered .Not the main assumption

The pollution cause harm to both floura and fauna, the point does not align with the argument.

The type of species is out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 07:35
This question demonstrated HND SD bias for me - as I thought along the lines of option D, and almost went "cognitively" blind after reading choice D; while a careful consideration has shown me that correct option would be choice C.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 23:28
A - Outside scope of argument. Only concerned with whether oil pipeline will cause pollution
B - This cannot be the assumption since it's explicitly stated in the argument that provided the technology is effective....Assumptions are unstated
C - Correct. Negate this and the whole argument falls apart
D. Irrelevant. Outside scope.
E. Irrelevant. Outside scope.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 02:57
Can anybody please explain why A and B have been eliminated ??

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Re: Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recen   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 02:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Early in the twentieth century, Lake Konfa became very polluted. Recen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap