GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Overview of Top EMBA Programs

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

Personal MBA Coach's Overview of Top EMBA Programs eBook To download for free, join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on perfecting your MBA applications

Emory vs Darden

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Emory vs Darden  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2018, 17:29
Hi All,

I am fortunate enough to be in the position to ask this question - but honestly, taking the decision now seems to harder than all other aspects of the applicatioon.
I have been accepted to Emory Goizeuta with $, and Darden with 0$.

Being an international, I do not see myself building a life in US long-term (want to move out 2-4 years after graduating).

Contextually, my goal is Product Management, but if I manage to break into consulting, I am open to it for 1-3 years. I am not looking to take any major risks because of the uncertainty surrounding the H1B visa – but Darden’s overall appeal is really tilting the scale in its favour for me.

Darden -
Pros –
• Internationally recognised/ Better reputation
• Case method
• Amazing faculty
• Excellent GM program
Cons –
• Weak in tech
Emory –
Pros –
• Class size
• ROI with scholarship $
• Recognition/ brand value – internationally as I want to move out of the US in the longterm.
• Recognition - even within the US – from what I have gathered, Goizueta is largely a regional school. Many of my friends in the US on the west coast had never heard of the name.

I would truly appreciate any inputs on what your decision would have been in such a case.

Originally posted by GOandGetIT on 16 Dec 2018, 17:37.
Last edited by GOandGetIT on 18 Dec 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Emory vs Darden  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 17:46
Congratulations! abhimahna can comment on the Emory's reputation and their on campus recruiting.

I like Darden for their case method and I feel it is often overlooked school in the Top 15. So I feel it is a highly ranked program with more realistic admission chances.

It would be a pretty easy decision if you got a full ride at Emory - I think it would more than compensate some of the name recognition and other weaknesses Emory may have vs. Darden. At the same time, Darden is mostly known for IB (one of the last IB Schools left out there) and MBB. Since you are not shooting for IB, I don't feel it is worth paying for a premium product, most valuable features of which you may not use. Just a thought. Congrats on getting into both!

Here is a comparison of the rankings (US News) over the last 10 years.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... ml#p770991

The 75% scholarship would provide the least risky option in light of the H1B situation in the US.
Attachments

darden vs emory.png
darden vs emory.png [ 435.29 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 18:26
I would also recommend considering improving your admit position with R2 Apps. You can gun for more scholarship or better rankings in R2 as long as your recommenders are not fatigued. It shouldn’t be too hard for them to submit the LOR’s however, since most schools use the same format these days. You should be able to improve your current position taking into consideration what you have learned in R1.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 18:39
GOandGetIT wrote:
Hi All,

I am fortunate enough to be in the position to ask this question - but honestly, taking the decision now seems to harder than the GMAT and applications put together.
I have been accepted to Emory Goizeuta (1yr and 2yr) with scholarship, and Darden with 0$.

Being an international, I do not see myself building a life in US long-term (want to move out 2-4 years after graduating).

Contextually, my goal is Product Management, but if I manage to break into consulting, I am open to it for 1-3 years. I am not looking to take any major risks because of the uncertainty surrounding the H1B visa – but Darden’s overall appeal is really tilting the scale in its favour for me.

Darden -
Pros –
• Internationally recognised/ Better reputation
• Case method
• Amazing faculty
• Excellent GM program
Cons –
• Weak in tech
Emory –
Pros –
• Class size
• ROI with scholarship $
• Recognition/ brand value – internationally as I want to move out of the US in the longterm.
• Recognition - even within the US – from what I have gathered, Goizueta is largely a regional school. Many of my friends in the US on the west coast had never heard of the name.

I would truly appreciate any inputs on what your decision would have been in such a case.

Thank you!
I would take BB's advice and run with it.

If your goal is to move out of US in 2-4 years, then taking the least/No debt outside US makes sense. Emory has a strong brand presence in Atlanta and probably in Dallas, Texas. These two are the major hub of companies in the southern part.
Even if your friends on west coast have not heard about it then also it would be wise to stay in Southern US for lower cost of living and faster payment of loan.
Plus the whole h1b issue makes things a little challenging so make decisions accordingly.

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 20:17
Hey GOandGetIT ,

Congratulations for the two great admits. I completely agree with what bb mentioned.

Here are my points regarding why you should choose Emory over Darden:

1. Emory's style of teaching is also mostly case based. Trust me, it has been alot many cases in the past 3-4 months of my 1st semester.
2. I would prefer to bargain with Emory to get more money.
3. Emory is very strong for consulting opportunities. We have almost 42% of the class that goes into consulting.
4. For tech, Emory is still growing. Emory has alums in almost all the tech companies and they are really willing to help. I am recruiting for consulting and product management roles and I really found all the alums willing to help me in the process.
5. Faculty at Emory is mind blowing. We have professors who have been in McKinsey for more than 15 years, worked with Accenture for more than a decade and some CEOs teaching for free as it is their passion.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Good luck. :-)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Current Student
B
Schools: Duke '19 (M$)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 09:22
Darden, not even close. One is like filet mignon and the other is Wendy's hamburger...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Emory vs Darden &nbs [#permalink] 19 Dec 2018, 09:22

Emory vs Darden

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap