GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Mar 2019, 03:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:49) correct 21% (02:00) wrong based on 495 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutritional value of an employee’s diet and the degree to which that employee is adequately hydrated. In a recent study of underperforming employees, the least productive among them were those who had the least nutritional diets. In a subsequent component of that same study, the underperforming employees were placed on nutrient-rich diets, and productivity steadily increased over the six month span of the study. Consequently, to boost productivity, employers should seek to promote nutrient-rich diets across its workforce to the maximum extent feasible.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Several study participants were already documented as those who underperformed their peers in terms of workplace productivity.

B. The least productive employees from the same company in the study who were not placed on nutrient-rich diets did not demonstrate a steady improvement in productivity.

C. Sponsoring nutrient-rich meal programs at work can be less expensive than many other means to boost workforce productivity.

D. Some employees who demonstrated poor job performance had consumed nutrient-poor meals within the prior week.

E. Several study participants were already on record as consuming nutrient-poor diets before entering the study.

Day 11 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 27 Jul 2015, 10:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Mar 2019, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 19:48
souvik101990 wrote:

Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutritional value of an employee’s diet and the degree to which that employee is adequately hydrated. In a recent study of underperforming employees, the least productive among them were those who had the least nutritional diets. In a subsequent component of that same study, the underperforming employees were placed on nutrient-rich diets, and productivity steadily increased over the six month span of the study. Consequently, to boost productivity, employers should seek to promote nutrient-rich diets across its workforce to the maximum extent feasible.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Several study participants were already documented as those who underperformed their peers in terms of workplace productivity.

B. The least productive employees from the same company in the study who were not placed on nutrient-rich diets did not demonstrate a steady improvement in productivity.

C. Sponsoring nutrient-rich meal programs at work can be less expensive than many other means to boost workforce productivity.

D. Some employees who demonstrated poor job performance had consumed nutrient-poor meals within the prior week.

E. Several study participants were already on record as consuming nutrient-poor diets before entering the study.

Day 11 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

The correct choice should strengthens the conclusion by showing that the nutrient rich diet does help boost productivity. It can also strengthen by showing that people who don't take nutrient rich food have less productivity. Only one choice is a valid strengthener here.
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 11:20
Conclusion: To boost productivity, employers should seek to promote nutrient-rich diets across its workforce to the maximum extent feasible.

A. Several study participants were already documented as those who under performed their peers in terms of workplace productivity.
(underperfomance wrt peers cannot be of any help)
B. The least productive employees from the same company in the study who were not placed on nutrient-rich diets did not demonstrate a steady improvement in productivity.( This strengthens the argument. The argument says that diet(X) causes (Y)prodcutivity. This supports the argument by saying that AS X did not happen Y did not happen.)
C. Sponsoring nutrient-rich meal programs at work can be less expensive than many other means to boost workforce productivity.(Expensiveness is out of scope)
D. Some employees who demonstrated poor job performance had consumed nutrient-poor meals within the prior week. (This defines only some people and one week performance cannot support a study of six months.)
E. Several study participants were already on record as consuming nutrient-poor diets before entering the study.(Does not help in any way.)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 13:06
The whole lot divided in samples
1. who were already nutrient rich 2. who were nutrient poor and then started taking nutrients, 3rd one who were nutrient poor and stayed same would complete the puzzle.

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 19:53
I wonder why choice B is correct.
A = high nutrient
B = good performance

A causes B --> from argument
No A causes no B ---> sounds illogical for me
It should be " no B causes no A"

In choice D, it should be correct if author did not say about prior week.

Someone please helps me clarify this problem
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMB (I)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 16:00
applebus wrote:
I wonder why choice B is correct.
A = high nutrient
B = good performance

A causes B --> from argument
No A causes no B ---> sounds illogical for me It is part of argument (premise) and thus not questionable. "In a recent study of underperforming employees, the least productive among them were those who had the least nutritional diets."
It should be " no B causes no A"

In choice D, it should be correct if author did not say about prior week.

Someone please helps me clarify this problem

In order to strengthen, we must look for the option that reinforces the idea that to boost productivity, employers should seek to promote nutrient-rich diets across its workforce to the maximum extent feasible.
B. The least productive employees from the same company in the study who were not placed on nutrient-rich diets did not demonstrate a steady improvement in productivity. This gives us additional support to believe that those who improved after eating nutrition rich diets had no other contributing factor to show improvement.
D. Some employees who demonstrated poor job performance had consumed nutrient-poor meals within the prior week. Not really! We are not talking about time frame of a week here. For the study, 'underperformers' were selected and their performance in increase could be seen over 6-month span. One week of low performance does not necessarily account for being an underperformer.
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 06:28

Type - strengthen
Boil it down - nutrient rich diets caused productivity of underperforming employees to increase. Thus , employers should seek to promote nutrient-rich diets across its workforce to the maximum extent feasible.
Pre-think - In absence of nutrient rich diets , the productivity of other underperformers should not increase

A. Several study participants were already documented as those who underperformed their peers in terms of workplace productivity.- irrelevant

B. The least productive employees from the same company in the study who were not placed on nutrient-rich diets did not demonstrate a steady improvement in productivity.- Correct

C. Sponsoring nutrient-rich meal programs at work can be less expensive than many other means to boost workforce productivity. - irrelevant

D. Some employees who demonstrated poor job performance had consumed nutrient-poor meals within the prior week. - irrelevant

E. Several study participants were already on record as consuming nutrient-poor diets before entering the study. - irrelevant - what food the participants had before the study is not relevant

Answer B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 03:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 03:11

Employee productivity can, on average, be directly linked to the nutri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics