GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Employers lose millions of work hours from employees

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Employers lose millions of work hours from employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 07:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:19) correct 55% (01:22) wrong based on 146 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Employers lose millions of work hours from employees every year during the NCAA basketball tournament known as March Madness. The men’s and women’s tournaments are conducted simultaneously, and tens of millions of American workers enter contests where they pick the winner of each game. Because some early round games actually take place during work hours, many employees are constantly checking basketball scores instead of working. Even employees who don’t watch basketball at any other time of the year get caught up in the excitement.

Which of the following is the most appropriate conclusion to the premises above?

(A) The NCAA tournament is appropriately named because of the “madness” it creates among employees in March of every year.
(B) Employees should not be allowed to check sports scores during business hours.
(C) American businesses should indulge their employees during these two special weeks of the year.
(D) The men’s and women’s NCAA tournaments combined form the world’s most popular sporting event.
(E) Everyone seems to have a different strategy for picking the winners, such as using team name, mascot, or uniform color.

Source : LSAT For Dummies

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Employers lose millions of work hours from employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 00:09
Official Explanation.

This business passage deals with the problem of human error in computing. The first paragraph introduces and explains human computing errors. The second paragraph poses solutions and then dismisses them. The third paragraph provides a general solution to the problem.The first question asks you to determine the authors’ primary purpose in writing the passage.

The main idea is that human error is going to happen and the best way to minimize the damage is by developing a backup system that allows users to correct their own mistakes. In this passage, the authors do more than just inform — they argue in favor of such a
system for small businesses.

Eliminate A because the primary purpose is not merely to inform, and the fact that human error is a common disaster for businesses is a supporting idea and not the main idea. Choice C doesn’t address the general purpose of the passage; it’s way too specific. Choice D contradicts the recommendations of the authors, so it can’t be right. The authors advocate the need for less IT personnel through backup systems that can be used by regular employees. You can also eliminate E, because the authors don’t advise anything so radical as never deleting or reorganizing files. Choice B is the best answer; the authors’ primary purpose is to advocate that small business owners develop a backup system that allows employees to retrieve their own files in case of human error.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Employers lose millions of work hours from employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 10:46
rohan2345 wrote:
Official Explanation.

This business passage deals with the problem of human error in computing. The first paragraph introduces and explains human computing errors. The second paragraph poses solutions and then dismisses them. The third paragraph provides a general solution to the problem.The first question asks you to determine the authors’ primary purpose in writing the passage.

The main idea is that human error is going to happen and the best way to minimize the damage is by developing a backup system that allows users to correct their own mistakes. In this passage, the authors do more than just inform — they argue in favor of such a
system for small businesses.

Eliminate A because the primary purpose is not merely to inform, and the fact that human error is a common disaster for businesses is a supporting idea and not the main idea. Choice C doesn’t address the general purpose of the passage; it’s way too specific. Choice D contradicts the recommendations of the authors, so it can’t be right. The authors advocate the need for less IT personnel through backup systems that can be used by regular employees. You can also eliminate E, because the authors don’t advise anything so radical as never deleting or reorganizing files. Choice B is the best answer; the authors’ primary purpose is to advocate that small business owners develop a backup system that allows employees to retrieve their own files in case of human error.

Isn't choice B an extreme option. I chose choice C as it advocates for indulging employees more than now. in that way they won't get enough time to check the scores.

Please correct me in case I'm wrong; consider giving kudos, otherwise.

Re: Employers lose millions of work hours from employees   [#permalink] 10 May 2017, 10:46

Employers lose millions of work hours from employees

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap