Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [74]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [9]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [5]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Got this question in Question Pack 1

Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the Wilgrinn Wilderness Area from residential development. They plan to do this by purchasing that land from the farmers who own it. That plan is ill-conceived: if the farmers did sell their land, they would sell it to the highest bidder, and developers would outbid any other bidders. On the other hand, these farmers will never actually sell any of the land, provided that farming it remains viable. But farming will not remain viable if the farms are left unmodernized, and most of the farmers lack the financial resources modernization requires. And that is exactly why a more sensible preservation strategy would be to assist the farmers to modernize their farms to the extent needed to maintain viability.

In the argument as a whole, the two boldface proportions play which of the following roles?

(A)The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organization;the second presents the logical goal that the reasoning concludes should be adopted instead
(B)The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organization:the second presents the strategy that the reasoning concludes has the best chance of reaching that goal.

For both A) and B) , these are not goals, these are strategies which as per author is not going to succeed.

(C)The first is the conclusion reached about one strategy for attaining a certain goal ; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning advocates -> Correct

(D)The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed;The second presents a strategy that is called sensible but for which no support is offered.
Support is offered and the author says why more sensible strategy is required.

(E)The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed;The second is a consideration raised in order to support that conclusion
2nd is not consideration to support that conclusion. 2nd is another strategy which is presented.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Re: Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the Wilgrinn Wilderness Area from residential development. They plan to do this by purchasing that land from the farmers who own it. That plan is ill-conceived: if the farmers did sell their land, they would sell it to the highest bidder, and developers would outbid any other bidders. On the other hand, these farmers will never actually sell any of the land, provided that farming it remains viable. But farming will not remain viable if the farms are left unmodernized, and most of the farmers lack the financial resources modernization requires. And that is exactly why a more sensible preservation strategy would be to the farmers to modernize their farms to the extent needed to maintain viability.

In the reasoning above, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organizations; the second presents the goal that the reasoning concludes should be adopted instead.
B. The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organizations; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning concludes has the best chance of reaching that goal.
C. The first is the conclusion reached about one strategy for attaining a certain goal; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning advocates.
D. The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed; the second presents a strategy that is called sensible but for which no support is offered.
E. The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed; the second is a consideration raised in order to support that conclusion.

Source: Question Pack 1
Correct Answer: C

Sir,
The biggest difficulty that I faced in this question is to find the main conclusion.
I am able to eliminate Option A and Option B because Bold Face 1 is some sort of conclusion either intermediate or main conclusion. But I am still not sure to identify the main conclsuion. Is there any method to do so when such dilemma arises that what is the main conclusion in the argument.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
crunchboss wrote:
Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the Wilgrinn Wilderness Area from residential development. They plan to do this by purchasing that land from the farmers who own it. That plan is ill-conceived: if the farmers did sell their land, they would sell it to the highest bidder, and developers would outbid any other bidders. On the other hand, these farmers will never actually sell any of the land, provided that farming it remains viable. But farming will not remain viable if the farms are left unmodernized, and most of the farmers lack the financial resources modernization requires. And that is exactly why a more sensible preservation strategy would be to assist the farmers to modernize their farms to the extent needed to maintain viability.

In the reasoning above, the two boldface portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organizations; the second presents the goal that the reasoning concludes should be adopted instead.
B. The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organizations; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning concludes has the best chance of reaching that goal.
C. The first is the conclusion reached about one strategy for attaining a certain goal; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning advocates.
D. The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed; the second presents a strategy that is called sensible but for which no support is offered.
E. The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed; the second is a consideration raised in order to support that conclusion.

Source: Question Pack 1
Correct Answer: C

Sir,
The biggest difficulty that I faced in this question is to find the main conclusion.
I am able to eliminate Option A and Option B because Bold Face 1 is some sort of conclusion either intermediate or main conclusion. But I am still not sure to identify the main conclsuion. Is there any method to do so when such dilemma arises that what is the main conclusion in the argument.

Dear crunchboss,

I'm happy to reply. :-)

My friend, notice that this prompt also contains an error. The error is the word I highlighted in red above: this word was missing from your post, and the last sentence didn't make sense, so I had to find this argument on another page to identify the missing word. Please be careful when you copy and paste.

My friend, the GMAT CR is difficult precisely because each argument is different. We can't use any formula, because what each argument asks of us is so different.

Notice that the speaker and the environmental groups have the same goal, "to preserve the land surrounding the Wilgrinn Wilderness Area from residential development." The environmental organizations present one strategy for reaching this goal. The speaker criticizes this strategy, and proposes another strategy that he feels will be more successful for reaching this goal --- but they both agree on the goal. This is why (A) - (B) are wrong: the speaker does not criticize the goal of the environmental organizations because he has the same goal.

I think I would say that this particular CR argument doesn't explicitly reach a conclusion. His main conclusion is not stated, but simply implied. I would phrase his main conclusion as follows: "To reach the goal, Strategy #2 is more effective that Strategy #1" This is implicit in his last sentence. Strategy #1 would be buying the land, the strategy of the environmental organizations---the speaker thinks this strategy is "ill-conceived." Strategy #2 is the one the speaker advocates. Everyone concerned agrees with the goal.

Sometimes a CR argument states a main argument, and sometimes it doesn't.

In this argument, the first BF is not a criticism of the goal, because the speaker agrees with the goal of the environmental organizations. That eliminates (A) & (B). Also, the first BF is not a "main conclusion" by itself: that eliminates (D) & (E). On this basis alone, we can narrow the answers down to (C).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Official Explanation:

Reasoning What roles do the two boldfaced statements play in the passage? The passage starts by presenting a goal and a strategy for reaching that goal. The first boldfaced statement is a rejection of that strategy. The passage then presents a premise that supports the first boldfaced statement as a conclusion. Next, the passage describes other factors that suggest an alternative strategy. Finally, the second boldfaced statement presents and recommends that alternative strategy.

A The first statement assesses not the goal, but rather a strategy for reaching the goal; the second presents not another goal, but rather another strategy for reaching the same goal.
B The first statement assesses not a goal, but rather a strategy for reaching a goal.
C Correct. The first statement presents the conclusion that one strategy is ill-conceived; the second statement presents and advocates an alternative strategy.
D The main conclusion is not that the first strategy should be rejected, but rather that the alternative strategy should be accepted.
E The idea that the first strategy should be rejected is used to support the idea that the alternative strategy should be accepted, not vice versa.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal other experts

What I thought in this question was that first statement was the Main conclusion . And reason for this is I can't find anything else to be the main conclusion or the intermediate conclusion

For Second statement what I thought was it is supporting the main conclusion by giving another plan

So on that basis I marked answer as E

Can you please suggest where am I going wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
What I thought in this question was that first statement was the Main conclusion . And reason for this is I can't find anything else to be the main conclusion or the intermediate conclusion

For Second statement what I thought was it is supporting the main conclusion by giving another plan

So on that basis I marked answer as E

Can you please suggest where am I going wrong with my reasoning?

Vatsal7794 The problem with answer choice E is this part: a consideration raised in order to support that conclusion
Advocating this second strategy doesn't explain why the first strategy is ill conceived.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Ahhhh I see. So second bold face is not giving any reason

Thanks avigutman
Have a good Day
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
(A) The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organization; the second presents the logical goal that the reasoning concludes should be adopted instead.

(C) The first is the conclusion reached about one strategy for attaining a certain goal; the second presents the strategy that the reasoning advocates.

While evaluating A and C, apart from other errors in A that I was unable to look for, there was a subtle error (At least i hope its an error) I noticed was that A talks about the goal held by "certain environmental organization" while the stem talks about "Environmental organizations". Would this reasoning be correct?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument -
Environmental organizations want to preserve the land surrounding the Wilgrinn Wilderness Area from residential development. - Goal
They plan to do this by purchasing that land from the farmers who own it. Plan
That plan is ill-conceived: Opinion or intermediate conclusion.
if the farmers did sell their land, they would sell it to the highest bidder, and developers would outbid any other bidders. On the other hand, these farmers will never actually sell any of the land, provided that farming it remains viable. Support the Opinion or intermediate conclusion.
But farming will not remain viable if the farms are left unmodernized, and most of the farmers lack the financial resources modernization requires. - "But" we crossed the bridge. The premise for the main conclusion.
And that is exactly why a more sensible preservation strategy would be to assist the farmers to modernize their farms to the extent needed to maintain viability. - Main conclusion

In the argument as a whole, the two boldface proportions play which of the following roles?

Option Elimination -

(A) The first assesses the goal held by certain environmental organizations (the author doesn't access the gaol. The author accesses the plan); the second presents the logical goal that the reasoning concludes should be adopted instead. (the second is not the goal. The goal remains the same, but the second represents an alternate strategy)

(B) The first assesses the goal held by a certain environmental organization (the author doesn't access the goal. The author accesses the plan); the second presents the strategy that the reasoning concludes has the best chance of reaching that goal. (ok)

(C) The first is the conclusion reached about one strategy for attaining a certain goal (something is missing in the language. Maybe while pasting, some words were missed, but high-level meaning-wise, what it is conveying is ok); the second presents the strategy that the reasoning advocates. (ok)

(D) The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed (no it's not the main conclusion); the second presents a strategy that is called sensible but for which no support is offered. (No. The earlier sentence after "but" offers support)

(E) The first is the main conclusion toward which the reasoning is directed (no it's not the main conclusion); the second is a consideration raised in order to support that conclusion (No. Its the main conclusion and its not supporting the BF1)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts