GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

     November 23, 2018

     November 23, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1809
Schools: University of Virginia
Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 03:07
4
13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:17) correct 29% (01:37) wrong based on 726 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?


A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.

C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.

D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.

E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.


Similar Question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/environmenta ... 24740.html

_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by bakfed on 11 Apr 2010, 22:44.
Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Oct 2018, 03:07, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 169
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2010, 08:49
2
A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
>> This statement specifies that the number of people who go for snowmobiling is reduced.
So it is a counter to the spokesperson's statement "basic economics for us to put up with the pollution."
=>Pollution will reduce the basic economics if people of keeping out of snowmobiling because of pollution.

B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.
>>This statement looks like a good option.But when you check the 'Not all' part, it shows though there could be less number of people from out of town, there are more number of people with in twon. It does not show the significant reduction in people who come for snowmobiling and so it will not counter the spokesperson's argument on money.

So A is the correct candidate.
_________________

+1Kudos, if this helps

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1134
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:12
A is good in the lot.

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?

A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.
C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.
D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 17:44
I couldnt quite understand the meaning of the question 'counter the business'..

what does this counter mean? is it weaken?

thanks
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Toronto
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2010, 00:16
3
[quote2gmatjp]what does this counter mean? is it weaken?[/quote2]

Essentially, yes. "Counter" = "go against" = "weaken".

***

We need a choice that counters the business spokesperson's rebuttal (that it is "basic economics to put up with the pollution".)

Choice A tells us that the town is losing money because of the snowmobiler's pollution. (Reduced visitors = lost money). So, if the town is losing money because of the pollution, this attacks the business spokesperson's claim that putting up with the pollution is economical. Thus, choice A is correct.

***

[quote2dwivedys]is there any big difference between saying "not all of the people" and "a great many cross country skiers..."[/quote2]

There is a difference between "a great many" and "not all". "a great many" implies an appreciable and significant quantity. But with "not all", a speaker is conveying something else--trying to draw attention away from that quality. If I say "a great many Torontonians are nice", clearly my intention is to say something good about Torontonians. Now, if I say "not all Torontonians are nice", clearly my intention is different. In the case of choice B, "not all" can mean as few as "one", or up to 99%. If it was just one, there is little impact on the argument while if it is 99%, there is a much bigger impact on the argument. Because we don't know which, we can't evaluate what impact choice B has on the argument and, therefore, cannot conclude that choice B weakens.

***

Choice D discusses "industrial pollution" which is, likely, different from air pollution due to snowmobiles. At any rate, choice D discusses reducing pollution. But to counter the business spokesperson's claim, we needed a choice that said that pollution (i.e., NOT reducing pollution) isn't economical.

***

[quote2dwivedys]isn't cross country skiers a very specific set of people[/quote2]

The stimulus tells us it's the kind of town in which "snowmobiling" is a big activity in the winter. The spokesperson discusses money collected from "recreational use of the park". It is reasonable to infer that recreational winter activities at the park, if they include snowmobiling, can also include "cross-country skiing".

***

@dwivedys: essentially, I think you converted "counter spokesperson's claim" to "strengthen first speaker's claim". Can't quite do that here because the businessperson is responding to the first speaker by making a claim of his own--a claim, which, according to the instructions in the question stem, we have to directly counter using one of the answer choices...always follow the instructions in the question explicitly!
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1327
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 21:48
1
I looked around a bit for this question and found links to some questionable forums, so I'm not sure where it's from, but in any case, there didn't seem to be any agreement about the OA. I don't think B is a good answer here. We are asked to evaluate the environmentalist's response found at the end of the passage. The environmentalist is responding to the businessperson, who essentially says: 'the positive economic benefits of snowmobiling are more important than the negative environmental impact of snowmobiling'. The environmentalist does *not* challenge this assumption (so B is not a good answer here). If the environmentalist had responded by saying something like 'you can't put a pricetag on the environment', then B would be a more appropriate answer, because the environmentalist would then be weighing, in his or her response, environmental effects with economic effects.

Instead, the environmentalist accepts the businessperson's premise - that snowmobiling helps the economy by attracting visitors - but responds by suggesting that, by banning snowmobiling, the town will attract a 'great many' other visitors: cross-country skiers. These new visitors will presumably help the economy in much the same way as do snowmobilers. So, the businessperson is assuming that snowmobiling is the *only* way to attract the visitors needed to boost the economy ("economics dictate that we put up with the pollution"), and the environmentalist is challenging that assumption. That's what A says.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 778
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 23:24
Thanks Ian. yeah I see E is an equal contender. Can you please explain what I am missing -

Financial benefit will outweigh against pollution. This is the crux of the statement by business spokesperson.

Environmentalist says that people are not benefited because of the noise and pollution generated by snowmobiles. So E should be correct answer. What's wrong with E then?

IanStewart wrote:
I looked around a bit for this question and found links to some questionable forums, so I'm not sure where it's from, but in any case, there didn't seem to be any agreement about the OA. I don't think B is a good answer here. We are asked to evaluate the environmentalist's response found at the end of the passage. The environmentalist is responding to the businessperson, who essentially says: 'the positive economic benefits of snowmobiling are more important than the negative environmental impact of snowmobiling'. The environmentalist does *not* challenge this assumption (so B is not a good answer here). If the environmentalist had responded by saying something like 'you can't put a pricetag on the environment', then B would be a more appropriate answer, because the environmentalist would then be weighing, in his or her response, environmental effects with economic effects.

Instead, the environmentalist accepts the businessperson's premise - that snowmobiling helps the economy by attracting visitors - but responds by suggesting that, by banning snowmobiling, the town will attract a 'great many' other visitors: cross-country skiers. These new visitors will presumably help the economy in much the same way as do snowmobilers. So, the businessperson is assuming that snowmobiling is the *only* way to attract the visitors needed to boost the economy ("economics dictate that we put up with the pollution"), and the environmentalist is challenging that assumption. That's what A says.
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1327
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2010, 04:15
1
nusmavrik wrote:
Thanks Ian. yeah I see E is an equal contender. Can you please explain what I am missing -

Financial benefit will outweigh against pollution. This is the crux of the statement by business spokesperson.

Environmentalist says that people are not benefited because of the noise and pollution generated by snowmobiles. So E should be correct answer. What's wrong with E then?


It's important to look at the precise wording of the question:

nusmavrik wrote:
Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?


We're only interested in the logic of the environmentalist's response to the businessperson - that is, the logic of the final paragraph:

nusmavrik wrote:
Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept
from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.


The environmentalist, in his or her response, nowhere discusses the negative environmental effects of snowmobiling. That's part of the first paragraph, not the third. So your paraphrase of the environmentalist's response uses information that you shouldn't be using. The environmentalist's response is that 'by getting rid of snowmobiles, we'll attract skiers to our town'. So this answer:

nusmavrik wrote:
E. Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain
group of people actually benefited those people


doesn't describe what the environmentalist is saying; the environmentalist does not deny the economic benefits of snowmobiling, but rather suggests that economic benefits will come from banning snowmobiling, but from a different source - from skiers.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1882
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 23:34
souvik101990 wrote:
Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?

A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.
C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.
D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.


Environmentalist: Ban snowmobiles owing to pullution
Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiles bring business by attracting out-of-towners to Milville, so we should not ban snowmobile

We need to weaken the argument by the Business Spokesperson.

Option A does it by saying that the cross-country skiers are no longer visiting Milville because of the increased pollution. Hence the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 54
Location: India
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 04:08
bakfed wrote:
Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?


A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.

C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.

D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.

E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.


Similar Question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/environmenta ... 24740.html




A is the ans as it mentions the disadvantage of the pollution .
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 20:30
Can someone please explain why e is incorrect and how to chose between 'A' and 'C'...?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 20:32
Can someone please explain why e is incorrect and how to chose between 'A' and 'E'...?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 54
Location: India
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 21:45
Rakeshtewatia wrote:
Can someone please explain why e is incorrect and how to chose between 'A' and 'E'...?

Posted from my mobile device



Rakeshtewatia:
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.-- In the argument the point of view of people of Milville is nowhere considered , hence its out of scope.

GMATNinja :Is my reasoning to reject E correct ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 22:06
But option A could be untrue on the basis that, we do not know whether the number of skiiers that are prevented from visiting the Melville town due to pollution exceeds the no. of snowmobilers. If Their no. far exceeds the no. of outside snowmobilers then, it'll be more probable, otw not. Ambiguity still exists.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 263
CAT Tests
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 10:35
1
zac123 wrote:
Rakeshtewatia wrote:
Can someone please explain why e is incorrect and how to chose between 'A' and 'E'...?

Posted from my mobile device



Rakeshtewatia:
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.-- In the argument the point of view of people of Milville is nowhere considered , hence its out of scope.

GMATNinja :Is my reasoning to reject E correct ?

Thanks zac123! This looks pretty good. Regardless of how some portion of Milville residents FEEL about the fees, the fees do exist and indirectly benefit all residents.

BigUD94 wrote:
But option A could be untrue on the basis that, we do not know whether the number of skiiers that are prevented from visiting the Melville town due to pollution exceeds the no. of snowmobilers. If Their no. far exceeds the no. of outside snowmobilers then, it'll be more probable, otw not. Ambiguity still exists.

Yes, we do not know the exact numbers, but we don't have to. We are only looking for the answer that "could best be used by the environmentalist to counter (i.e. weaken) the business spokersponerson's argument." We do not have to PROVE that the argument is false.

Choice A, if true, would weaken the argument, even though it certainly does not DISPROVE the argument.

Has anyone actually seen this question in GMATPrep? If so, please post a screenshot to confirm the source.

A similar version, with a full explanation, can be found here.
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 10:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create una

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.