GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 20:42
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep - Correct

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep - failure of honoring is unidiomatic

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping - incorrect idiom: 'promise of keeping' is wrong

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping - change in meaning as explained in E

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping - incorrect idiom: 'promise of keeping' is wrong ; change in meaning: the correct meaning is what appears in the original sentence, namely, that the failure to honor promises WAS the deceptive business practice. choice e, with its use of 'because', implies that the failure to keep promises LED TO (other) deceptive business practices. remember that you have to interpret words like 'because' very, very literally.

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 08:05
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please assist with the POE of this one ?

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 12:10
Poorvasha wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please assist with the POE of this one ?

Hi Poorvasha!

Carolyn from Magoosh here - I'll step in for Mike :-)

Let's go through the answer choices here:

(A): No obvious problem

(B): "By its failure" is an incorrect construction here - when we use "by" to refer to an action like this, we need the following word to be a verb, like "by failing". Also, "its failure of honoring" is also incorrect - when we talk about a failure to do something, we need to say "failure TO ...". So here, we would want to say "its failure TO honor". So eliminate B.

(C): "In its failing" is, first of all, a bit awkward and excessively wordy. Then, "its promise of keeping" is incorrect - when we talk about a promise to do something, we want to say "promise TO ...". So here, we need to say "promise to keep", not "promise of keeping". Eliminate C.

(D): Here we have two errors that have already come up: "failure IN honoring" (should be failure TO honor"), and "promise IN keeping" (should be promise TO keep"). Eliminate D.

(E): Again, the issue here is in "failure OF keeping". This should be "failure TO keep". Eliminate E.

So our answer is (A) :-) Does that help?

-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 09:19
Here is my analysis,

the sentence we are trying to correct describes about "the state's attorney general accusation"

If you closely observe the meaning,

The accusation was that the bank engaged in deceptive business.
in options D,E it says the bank engaged in deceptive business because of its failure in honoring/to honor promise.
It didn't engage in deceptive business because it failed.
It engaged in deceptive business and therefore failed to keep promise.
I eliminated C also with similar logic. In preposition "in" doesn't properly lead to the meaning.
In between A and B, i eliminated B because it has "honoring".
So answer is A
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 05:28
Hi,

I am just curious about the use of 'by' here. In MGMAT, it is said to use by only for the actual doers of the action. Can anyone give an example of this and tell me how this use can be qualified in this question?

Or if anyone can tell me the general rule of using 'by', it would be great.

Will appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' &nbs [#permalink] 01 Dec 2018, 05:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap