GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

15 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1457
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 00:44
15
This post received
KUDOS
21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:00) correct 39% (01:15) wrong based on 1251 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

(A) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

(B) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

(C) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

(D) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

(E) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

In this problem, I chose D, but the OA is A. What is wrong with D and what makes option A the ideal answer? What is this question really testing?
I would really appreciate your input to this problem.
thanks

Originally posted by tarek99 on 31 Mar 2008, 16:03.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 May 2018, 00:44, edited 3 times in total.
Added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 916
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
"To Keep" is correct usage rather than "of keeping" or "in keeping". Moreover A is concise and in active voice.

Choice D is in passive voice (another drawback).
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 697
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping





In this problem, I chose D, but the OA is A. What is wrong with D and what makes option A the ideal answer? What is this question really testing?
I would really appreciate your input to this problem.
thanks


'Promise to' is correct compared to promise in, of
and A is concise compared to B

So A
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2426
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:45
2
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep
b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep
c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping
d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping
e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping


A has no error as it is the most concise and succinct. "failure to" is also a correct idiom.


.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 312
Location: India
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2008, 21:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In addition to above statements pertaining to the correct usage of infinitive "to keep" vs "keeping" (gerund), introduction of "because" changes the meaning. Try to read back the option D, it would mean "Because the bank failed to keep its promise, it is engaging in deceptive business practices". Using the expression "by failing to honour..." the phrase "deceptive business" is properly qualified.
5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1307
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2010, 07:58
5
This post received
KUDOS
yes indeed. sentence correction is like an ocean....the learning never ends.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1274
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 11:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
dushver wrote:
In addition to above statements pertaining to the correct usage of infinitive "to keep" vs "keeping" (gerund), introduction of "because" changes the meaning. Try to read back the option D, it would mean "Because the bank failed to keep its promise, it is engaging in deceptive business practices". Using the expression "by failing to honour..." the phrase "deceptive business" is properly qualified.


I dont see your point. It would actually be: "Because the bank failed..., the state's attorney general...", which is correct meaning.
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 873
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:09
B, C, D and E - use three "its". The more pronoun the more complexity. If I have to tick on the answer blindly I will lift A.

engaging by failing ----> modifies bank and this is active voice. (usage of ing).

B, D and E passive. Plus pronoun misuse (three times its)
engaging in X by its failure
engaging in X because of its failure

Between A and C.
"engaging by failing" is better than "engaging in its failing". Since "engaging in its failing" changes the meaning of the sentence
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 56
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 22:46
I agree with nusmavrik as in options C,D and E ,2nd and 3rd "its" clearly point to Bank so there's no need to add an extra "its"....
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1101
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 03:45
3
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

promise in / of keeping are just not idiomatic=> "promise to its customers to keep" is the correct version. This leaves us with A and B.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep
b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices (how?) by + ing verb. A is correct.
If you want to say "how" a thing happened, in this case "how they did those practices" the construct in A is correct.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 811
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:10
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tarek99 wrote:
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping



two idioms tested in this:

FAILIURE TO X....and PROMISE TO Y....

moreover you may notice that because of too many pronoun (ITS) and prepositional phrases..all other options are unnecessarily wordy.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 404
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 14:04
can some one please explain why E is wrong.

I was down to A & E. selected E.

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 208
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 20:56
I am a non-native english speaker. Does this sound right:

someone accused someone of engaging .................. IN (as in C) or BY (as in a)

In my opinion, "IN" sounds better. Am I correct?
_________________

Middle of nowhere!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Posts: 72
Location: New Zealand
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: 324 Q161 V163
GRE 2: 325 Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE: Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 19:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tarek99 wrote:
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping





In this problem, I chose D, but the OA is A. What is wrong with D and what makes option A the ideal answer? What is this question really testing?
I would really appreciate your input to this problem.
thanks


For people who are confused about the correct answer, look up a concept called the infinitive of purpose. According to that concept, only 'to keep' is correct, so we are down to A and B. B incorrectly uses its failure of honoring.
_________________

"Hardwork is the easiest way to success." - Aviram

One more shot at the GMAT...aiming for a more balanced score.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 06:16
onedayill wrote:
can some one please explain why E is wrong.

I was down to A & E. selected E.

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping



mmm.... don't go applying parallelism blindly :

.... Failure to ...
honor is promise to......

These are at two separate levels and hence don't need parallelism.

Also this is plain wrong because the sentence can be interpreted in the following way :

deceptive business practices because of its failure to honor

So the bank engaged in deceptive business practices because it failed to honor .... which is absolutely not the intended meaning
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 431
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 22:21
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping


"Because of" changes meaning.
promise to keep => correct idiomatic expression
Failure of honoring => unidiomatic expression
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 22:46
more 'it' increases more ambiguity & complexity.

I know A is more concise

but chose E for ||ism .."of engaging....of keeping''
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2016
Posts: 29
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 03:43
tarek99 wrote:
Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping



Hi
D and E changes meaning by giving WHY part of the DECEPTION...but we need HOW the DECEPTION took place. So A/B/C...
Can anyone provide me the details as to how the reaming two wrong options can be eliminated?

Thanks
S
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 00:44
Hi Experts,

'the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.'

In the sentence above, I feel that usage of 'by' had two separate meanings:
1. The state's attorney general accused by failing to honor its promise...
2. The bank engaged in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise...

Can you please explain if this is not the case. I have my exam scheduled for day after tomorrow, so a quick response would be very much appreciated.
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1248
Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 13:04
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anirudhsuhag.25, both of those interpretations are possible in theory, but only the second one makes sense. "Its" cannot refer to the attorney general; we'd need "his" or "her." Even if it could, how can we accuse someone by failing to honor a promise? #2 works because if the bank breaks its promise to customers, it was being deceptive.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 13:04

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers'

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.