GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Feb 2020, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.85
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 23:40
GMATNinja wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma GMATNinjatwo please help me with this question!

In short, (A) and (B) are gone right off the bat because they have subject-verb errors.

As for (C), (D), and (E), first consider the following two options:

1) I have lower than fifty dollars in my account.
    2) I have less than fifty dollars in my account.

Which is correct? It's the latter -- we use greater than/less than to compare amounts of money. Similarly, we would say, "I have less than one percent of $5,000 in my account." (C) is the best choice for the same reason.

If you still have questions, you might want to review this entire thread -- some of the older posts might help. If not, let us know what's tripping you up! You also might want to check out this post for more on "less than" vs. "lower than".

I hope that helps!

Thankyou so much GMATNinja ..i really like your explanation!!

You mean to say that we are using less than 50 dollar to compare dollar as a non-countable unit.
If we say fewer than 50 dollars , we are counting the notes of dollar which are 50 in number

Let me know if i am missing anything!
Experts' Global Representative
P
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 05:20
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum

Choice A: In Option A, we see a subject-verb disagreement between "amounts" and "a sum". Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B displays the same flaw that Option A does. Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C maintains correct idiomatic usage and subject-verb agreement. Thus, Option C is correct.

Choice D: In Option D, the sentence compares two amounts. As "amount" is uncountable, the correct adjective to use here is "less" rather than "lower'. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: In Option E, using both "amounted to" and "sum" is redundant; when the verb “amounted to” is used, it is understood that that the end result will be a sum. Thus, E is not a good answer choice.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Collective, Countable, and Uncountable nouns on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 19:35
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma GMATNinjatwo please help me with this question!

In short, (A) and (B) are gone right off the bat because they have subject-verb errors.

As for (C), (D), and (E), first consider the following two options:

1) I have lower than fifty dollars in my account.
    2) I have less than fifty dollars in my account.

Which is correct? It's the latter -- we use greater than/less than to compare amounts of money. Similarly, we would say, "I have less than one percent of $5,000 in my account." (C) is the best choice for the same reason.

If you still have questions, you might want to review this entire thread -- some of the older posts might help. If not, let us know what's tripping you up! You also might want to check out this post for more on "less than" vs. "lower than".

I hope that helps!

Thankyou so much GMATNinja ..i really like your explanation!!

You mean to say that we are using less than 50 dollar to compare dollar as a non-countable unit.
If we say fewer than 50 dollars , we are counting the notes of dollar which are 50 in number

Let me know if i am missing anything!

Exactly - if I have $47.65, then I have less than $50, as the value of money doesn't have to be in integer form.

But if I have 47 dollar bills, then I have fewer than 50 dollar bills, as the number of bills can only be expressed as an integer.

Nice work! And if you really want more on countable vs. non-countable modifiers, here's an excessive video on the topic. :)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2020, 19:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics