GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Dec 2017, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:40) correct 31% (00:40) wrong based on 757 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 101
Page: 668

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Originally posted by spriya on 22 Jul 2008, 11:47.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 Dec 2017, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jul 2008, 14:19
spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower

direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.

Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> uncountable. --> we should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Originally posted by x2suresh on 23 Jul 2008, 12:49.
Last edited by x2suresh on 23 Jul 2008, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
VP
VP
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:57
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:

(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower

direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.

Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> they uncountable. and should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you

thank u :-D
OA is C

yes uncountable -> less /more
measurable in units or countable lower higher

this year,profit of the company is less than 10%

this year profit of the company equals to a sum lower than 10%

I hope this is the funda

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Retired Moderator
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 14:44
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2009, 13:52
that means if there is a answer choice "amounted to a sum lower" would be correct too, right?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2009, 22:52
here direct costs is plural, so any thing singular such as " a lower sum" , " a sum less" or " a sum lower" should not come.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2009, 11:10
past tense 'amounted' is needed.
amount and sum is redundant

'cost' is uncountable - hence less not lower

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:41
They're talking abt the past so -- amounted
Can't quantify 'amount' so it's 'less than' and not 'lower than'
Usage example 1: The water level is lower than expected
Example 2: The amount is far less than expected
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 22:31
spriya wrote:

1. PRONOUN NUMBER AGREEMENT ERROR. The subject "direct costs" is plural so it requires a plural verb and NOT the singular verb "amounts".
2. TENSE ERROR - Also, as per the context of the sentence, usage of the simple past tense will make more sense. As the usage of simple present tense sounds as if it is a general fact that the direct costs always in general amount to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on the health care. That is not the intended meaning. Also, the time marker -- "last year" clearly specifies the use of past tense. INCORRECT

(B) amounts to less
Similar errors as in choice A. INCORRECT

(C) amounted to less
Here, the verb tense error is resolved. Also, the usage of LESS is correct here. CORRECT.

(D) amounted to lower
Usage of LOWER is incorrect here. INCORRECT.

This would be correct if we swap the position of sum with lower. That is,
amounted to a sum lower
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 23:54
aceGMAT21 wrote:
spriya wrote:

1. PRONOUN NUMBER AGREEMENT ERROR. The subject "direct costs" is plural so it requires a plural verb and NOT the singular verb "amounts".
2. TENSE ERROR - Also, as per the context of the sentence, usage of the simple past tense will make more sense. As the usage of simple present tense sounds as if it is a general fact that the direct costs always in general amount to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on the health care. That is not the intended meaning. Also, the time marker -- "last year" clearly specifies the use of past tense. INCORRECT

(B) amounts to less

(C) amounted to less
Here, the verb tense error is resolved. Also, the usage of LESS is correct here. CORRECT.

(D) amounted to lower

amounted to a sum lower

Hi Varun,
Why lower than is wrong here.Less is used to refer to something that is not countable: John has less ice cream than Mary has. But we can't say John has a less amount of ice cream. Words such as amount, sum, and total require an -er word. We need to say: John has a smaller amount of ice cream than Mary has.

We have an official question - Here, lower than is correct

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 00:04
Why lower than is wrong here.Less is used to refer to something that is not countable: John has less ice cream than Mary has. But we can't say John has a less amount of ice cream. Words such as amount, sum, and total require an -er word. We need to say: John has a smaller amount of ice cream than Mary has.

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 00:19
sunny91 wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
spriya wrote:

(B) amounts to less

(C) amounted to less

(D) amounted to lower

amounted to a sum lower

Hi Varun,

Hi sunny91,

For the official question, following is the explanation,

"Less" compares amounts or extents:
There is less wine in my glass than in yours.
I find smokers less attractive than non-smokers.

"Lower" compares two numbers or measurements:
The level of wine in the bottle got steadily lower.
The number of smokers is lower than the number of non-smokers.

In this official question, we're comparing sums(actually the numbers), so "lower" is appropriate.

Now, coming to the question in hand,
(C) amounted to less
The usage of LESS is correct here as I have already mentioned LESS compares amounts or extents. ALSO, if you see the later non-underlined part of the sentence, that is --
less than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care....
Here, "Less than X%" is idiomatic. This is the correct usage.

(D) amounted to lower
Usage of LOWER is incorrect here. Lower is used for COUNTABLEs. Also, amounted to sum lower than would have been a correct construction here. As LOWER compares two numbers or measurements.
ALSO, the construction "LOWER than X%" is unidiomatic.

ONE more important difference to note between the LESS and LOWER is,
'less' can be both an adjective and an adverb whereas 'lower' is always an adjective.

Hope that clears your query.

Thanks.
-aceGMAT21
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
sunny91 wrote:

I do not see a problem with "lower than" in this case. "Lower than" can be used to compare two numerical values. The following explanation from Manhattan SC guide would clarify the concept:

"The words more and less are rather flexible. They can be used as nouns (or pronouns), adjectives, or
adverbs.
Right: I own MORE THAN I should. (;more = noun or pronoun)
Right: I own MORE SHIRTS THAN I should. {more = adjective)
Right: I sleep MORE THAN I should. (more - adverb)
In numerical comparisons, the words high and low, as well as higher and lower, should only be used as
adjectives.
Right: My bills are LOWER than they were last year.
Wrong: I spend LOWER than I did last year.
Right: I spend LESS than I did last year."

In option A, the part "lower than..." is correctly used as an adjective for the word "sum", a numerical value.
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum &nbs [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 02:41

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap