Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [141]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [41]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [24]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
yavasani wrote:
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.

(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Since the passage contains information about both TopNotch High School graduates and those accepted by Ivy League universities, a valid conclusion must contain information that does not contradict either situation. In addition, a valid conclusion should be based directly on the information given in the passage. Be careful not to make unwarranted assumptions: for example, a person who attends a school does not necessary graduate from it, a person who graduates from high school does not necessarily apply to a university, and a person who is accepted by a university does not necessarily attend it.

(A) The passage states that every student with an IQ of 150 who applies to the Ivy League will be accepted by at least one of the universities. However, it is possible that a graduate of TopNotch High with an IQ of 150 did not apply, and thereby was not accepted, to any of the schools. Hence, this conclusion is not valid.

(B) The passage states that every graduate of TopNotch High has an IQ of over 120. The conclusion only states that the student is a high school graduate and that he has an IQ of less than 120. It does NOT state that he or she was a graduate of TopNotch High. It is possible, however, that after attending TopNotch High for a period of time, he or she graduated from another high school. If this is the case, the situation does not contradict the passage, but contradicts the conclusion (he or she was a student at TopNotch High). Hence, this conclusion is not valid.

(C) CORRECT. This choice presents a possibility, as opposed to a certainty: is it possible that a person with a 130 IQ and attending an Ivy League university previously graduated from TopNotch High School? This does fit the stated facts in the argument: TopNotch graduates all have IQs over 120, and it is possible for TopNotch graduates to gain acceptance to Ivy League universities.

(D) The conclusion states that most, but not necessarily all, of the graduates from TopNotch High with IQ of 120 who apply to the Ivy League are accepted by at least one of the schools. The conclusion, however, does not state positively that any of the TopNotch High graduates had an IQ of over 150. Hence, even if it is unlikely, it is possible that none of the TopNotch graduates had IQs of over 150, and, of the remaining graduates who applied to the Ivy League, none were accepted by an Ivy League university. This conclusion is thereby not valid.

(E) The passage states that any student with an IQ of 150 who applies to one or more Ivy League universities will be accepted by at least one of them. It is possible, however, that some of those who had applied and been accepted to an Ivy League university chose not to attend. Hence, this conclusion is not valid.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [4]
Send PM
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]
Kudos

A. Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
>> To be sure we need an IQ of more than 150 ... not just 150 ... drop

B. If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
>> he could be a student of TN highschool ... but he wont graduate from it ... drop

C.If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
>> Keep it ... it is quite possible

D.At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
>> drop it .....

E.If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
>> we can not say for sure ... may be he applied and got selected also ... but chnaged his mind and not attending becuase of other reasons .... drop it

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Got it from another forum:

e) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

The negative statements are an attempt to flip the positive premise "all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"

(E) is not a valid GMAT conclusion because of not only the mismatch between exactly 150 and over 150, but also the mismatch between attending and being accepted at an Ivy-League school.

The OA is C.
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
@seekmba, your explanations for this one are great! People still seem a little confused on A and D, so let's look at those one more time.

A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

We can't conclude that every graduate of TopNotch with a 150+ IQ has APPLIED to an Ivy-League school. If they apply, the argument tells us that they will be accepted to at least one, but there's nothing in the prompt to suggest that every 150+ student applies to at least one Ivy.

D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

Let's say that every TopNotch graduate who applies to an Ivy-League school has an IQ between 120 and 150 (so nobody with a 150+ IQ applies). We only know that MOST students with a 120+ IQ who apply to an Ivy-League school are accepted to at least one. Therefore, there exists the possibility that nobody from TopNotch would be accepted to an Ivy, so D has to be eliminated.

Hope that helps for those two choices!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Kudos
Source: MGMAT cat

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

A: Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
B: If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
C: If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
D: At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
E: If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

OA:C

My question is - I took > 5 minutes and still got it wrong. I got the answer later on. But, i havent seen such CRs in OG Sad

Voodoo
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [5]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
voodoochild wrote:
Source: MGMAT cat

A: Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

This will be true only if EVERY graduate with more than 150-IQ APPLIED for at least 1 ivy-league school. If EVEN ONE of those uber intelligent 150-IQ fellows did not apply for ANY ivy-league, this statement fails.

B: If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

This is tricky. He/She could have been a student at Topnotch. For sure he/she did not GRADUATE from Topnotch. He/She might have failed and later graduated from somewhere else OR might have simply transferred his/her school.

C: If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.

This is definitely possible. Because if she/he graduated from Topnotch, for sure he/she has more than 120-IQ. This person can very well be one of those graduates. Note: it is possible for him or her

D: At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
This is tricky AND second most likely choice. Because, we don't know whether he/she has >150IQ, we can't be sure of this. If ALL graduates from TopNotch have an IQ between 119 and 150, exclusive, then it is possible that some could be accepted but there is no guarantee that he HAS been accepted. The question type is must be true and we should make sure that no way the statement can be false. If you present one case that invalidates the statement, reject it.

e.g.
If there are 1 million blue balls and 1 yellow ball in a jar.
If a man randomly picks a ball, that ball should be blue in color. NOT TRUE for this question type.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it is highly likely that ball is blue in color. COULD BE TRUE but eliminate other choices.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it cannot be red in color. 100% true. No need for elimination.

E: If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
We need to think a step further. Alright the student has applied and is accepted. Then she changed her mind and went for some non-ivy league school. In this case, she is not attending ivy-league but she applied and was of course accepted.

My approach for this:
Don't follow the elimination process. Just tick the right choice and go ahead. I chose "C" because I knew it was correct, I didn't bother to dig into rest of the choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
yavasani wrote:

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

Student of e-GMAT here. I used their process to come up with the correct answer. However, it definitely took me over the 2 min mark (at around 3 mins and 30 seconds) and this was difficult due to its tricky wording. Nevertheless, here's my process.

Conclusion: MOST students (not all) with an IQ of 120+ and ALL students with 150+ who apply to one or more Ivy League universities get accepted to at least one Ivy League university.
Phew...kinda long, but makes a lot of sense.

The only premise we have to work with is that TN Highschool has students with IQs of over 120. Which means that if these students apply to 1+ Ivy league universities, most of them are likely to get into at least one of them.

Basic pre-thinking: I won't lie here, but this was somewhat challenging for me. I came up with some flimsy assumptions in this. I'd love to see what you guys think about them.
- IQ is the only factor required here for university admissions with 150+ scores
- Students are likely to apply to Ivy league university. (I quickly realised that this was a false assumption and scratched it off).

Alright! With some pre-thinking, I at least had a better idea of the argument, so I could move onto the answer choices.

A. This does not have to be true. Some students may not have applied to an Ivy league university (or any university to begin with). Out.
B. Not necessarily true. What if IQ goes down with age? I was great at tennis 10 years ago as a kid, but now I absolutely suck at it (even when playing with a 12 year old). No where in the argument does it state that IQ remains stable with age.
C. Yeah. This seems right.
D. Well maybe. Let's say that there are 100 students at this school. 99 students decided to start working after high school. The remaining student applied to only one Ivy league university and his score happened to be 125. Although it is likely that he'll get accepted, it is not certain that he will.
E. She could have applied but decided not to go.

C is the right choice.
I definitely struggled with B and D. First in comprehending what they were saying and then in thinking of cases where the statements could fall apart.

Hope this thorough breakdown of my process helps others.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
yavasani wrote:

Well, the problem with D is that, for example,if only one student applied we can't be 100% sure that he will be accepted. Moreover we do not know nothing about his IQ, which affects his chances. So we need to correct these parts of the answer choice.

(D) At least one graduate -with a QI of over 150- from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

This works because we know that "students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"; I removed "at least one" also because ALL 150+ students who apply are accepted, not at least one.

I think this would work because it's basically a rewording of the later part of the second sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.28
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear Zarrolou,
Thanks for your explanation. You said that we know nothing about his IQ, but from the question, we have already known that he must have IQ of over 120. Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.
For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world.
Above is my few thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, thanks guy!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dpvtank wrote:
yavasani wrote:

Student of e-GMAT here. I used their process to come up with the correct answer. However, it definitely took me over the 2 min mark (at around 3 mins and 30 seconds) and this was difficult due to its tricky wording. Nevertheless, here's my process.

Conclusion: MOST students (not all) with an IQ of 120+ and ALL students with 150+ who apply to one or more Ivy League universities get accepted to at least one Ivy League university.
Phew...kinda long, but makes a lot of sense.

The only premise we have to work with is that TN Highschool has students with IQs of over 120. Which means that if these students apply to 1+ Ivy league universities, most of them are likely to get into at least one of them.

Basic pre-thinking: I won't lie here, but this was somewhat challenging for me. I came up with some flimsy assumptions in this. I'd love to see what you guys think about them.
- IQ is the only factor required here for university admissions with 150+ scores
- Students are likely to apply to Ivy league university. (I quickly realised that this was a false assumption and scratched it off).

Alright! With some pre-thinking, I at least had a better idea of the argument, so I could move onto the answer choices.

A. This does not have to be true. Some students may not have applied to an Ivy league university (or any university to begin with). Out.
B. Not necessarily true. What if IQ goes down with age? I was great at tennis 10 years ago as a kid, but now I absolutely suck at it (even when playing with a 12 year old). No where in the argument does it state that IQ remains stable with age.
C. Yeah. This seems right.
D. Well maybe. Let's say that there are 100 students at this school. 99 students decided to start working after high school. The remaining student applied to only one Ivy league university and his score happened to be 125. Although it is likely that he'll get accepted, it is not certain that he will.
E. She could have applied but decided not to go.

C is the right choice.
I definitely struggled with B and D. First in comprehending what they were saying and then in thinking of cases where the statements could fall apart.

Hope this thorough breakdown of my process helps others.

Hi,

Amazing job here!

You reasons for rejecting all the four incorrect choices are right on the mark. It is very encouraging to see this since even though a lot of students do mark the correct choice but they do not reject the incorrect choices for valid reasons. However, that is not the case with you. Good job!

I just want to clarify one thing in the prethinking part.

When you do prethinking for inference/conclusion questions, you need to prethink the inference, not the assumptions. For all other questions (strengthen, weaken, evaluate etc), you need to prethink assumptions but not in the case of inference questions.

In inference questions, you need to prethink the inferences possible.

So, in this questions, you might have done prethinking by understanding the information as below:

1. First thing that comes out is that the 2nd statement is only about those students who apply to at least one Ivy league university. Therefore, any inference which talks about students who did not apply to Ivy league universities is straight out of the way. (read point 2 for an exception to this)
2. Second thing is that Everyone from TN has IQ over 120. Now, one thing we can easily infer from this statement is that anyone studying at Ivy league who had an IQ below 120 when joining the university cannot be a student of TN. Isn't it?

So, you have arrived at one possible inference just from the first statement of the passage. Now, you can also arrive at another possible inference by combining statements 1 and 2:

If all the students from TN schools apply to Ivy league schools, most of them would be accepted to at least one of them. (Here we are combining the information that every student from TN has IQ over 120 and most students with IQ over 120 gets accepted to at least one of the Ivy league universities.)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
haihai89 wrote:
Dear Zarrolou,
Thanks for your explanation. You said that we know nothing about his IQ, but from the question, we have already known that he must have IQ of over 120. Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.
For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world.
Above is my few thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, thanks guy!

About the IQ, we have to say that his IQ is 150+ in order to be sure that a student is accepted, because if his IQ is only 120+, his chances are high but we ARE NOT sure that he'll be accepted.

Most students with an IQ of over 120 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

About this part: Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.<== we cannot say. If only ONE 120 IQ student applies, we can't say that he will be accepted.

About this part:For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world. Yes you're correct, that's why we read "it's possible for him (...)"

Hope I've explained myself well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I still can not understand why version D is not correct:

1]Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
2]If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
3]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
5]If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

the argument is telling that all students from the school have IQ over 120, after it says that most students with IQ over 120 who apply to one or several Ive League schools get accepted to at least one of the schools.

Now the answer D tells exactly the same thing and can not find any contradiction between prompt and the answer.
If all students are over 120 and most of 120 who apply to the school get accepted at least one the schools.when at least one of the students from those of top Notch school who applied for sure will get accepted to the school.

I know that i am missing something but do not understand what i am missing.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Garik777 wrote:
I still can not understand why version D is not correct:

1]Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
2]If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
3]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
5]If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

the argument is telling that all students from the school have IQ over 120, after it says that most students with IQ over 120 who apply to one or several Ive League schools get accepted to at least one of the schools.

Now the answer D tells exactly the same thing and can not find any contradiction between prompt and the answer.
If all students are over 120 and most of 120 who apply to the school get accepted at least one the schools.when at least one of the students from those of top Notch school who applied for sure will get accepted to the school.

I know that i am missing something but do not understand what i am missing.

As I said before, you have to read every word carefully. The framing of the question is a little tricky.

The argument says that "most students with IQ over 120 who apply to one or several Ive League schools get accepted to at least one of the schools." It doesn't talk about TopNotch school. Just that if 1000 students with IQ > 120 will apply to Ivy League univs. most will get accepted. Say, out of 1000, 900 will get accepted. 100 will get rejected.

Now option (D) talks about TopNotch school. All TopNotch students have IQ > 120. Perhaps there are 500 students in TOpNOtch. Say all of them have IQ less than 150. Do we know how many of them applied to Ivy League schools? No. Perhaps only 10 did. Is it possible that all 10 got rejected? Sure because of the 1000 students who applied, only 900 got accepted in at least one Ivy League Univ. Those 10 could easily have been a part of the 100. Hence it is possible that option (D) may not hold. Therefore, we cannot say that it must be true.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

This is never said in the above argument.Only who have applied are mostly selected.We do not have any information about whether graduates of TopNOtch Schools even apply to Ivys Yes Ecery graduate of TN has a IQ of 120+ but it not told that anyone of the graduates applied to Ivys. May be some applied, may be none applied..

No information provided about people who are NOT graduates of top notch high schools.A person with IQ<100 could have been a student of top notch high school and left the school and graduated from some other school.

Yes, it is possible.The information in the above argument supports this statement.This statement is not making a definite claim.These option just tells us that the graduates of TN with IQ of 130 may have applied to Ivys or is eligible to apply.

No not necessarily true. The argument states that Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them. .It is no where stated that the High School graduated even apply to Ivy universities.

Not true. Most students do get selected .He might have applied but did not get selected.
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them. The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

a) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.What if he/she had not applied to an ivy league in the first place.

b) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.That person could very well have been a student of TN HS but would not have graduated from TN HS. What if a student studied in TN HS but was not allowed to graduate from TN HS because of TN HS's ridiculously high standards? That student could have moved to some other school and passed that new school's graduation exam to graduate. So this option is not entirely true.

c) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School."possible". Nice balance in the statement. Keep this aside.

d) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.Not necessarily. Maybe there are no graduates with an IQ of 150+ and the stem says that most graduates with an IQ of over 120 get admitted. This means that all those from TN HS may not have got into an ivy league.

e) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.The stem talks about students with an IQ of *over* 150 getting into anyone of the ivy league he/she may apply to. This option talks about someone with an IQ of exactly 150. So this option talks about the 130-150 IQ graduates and these *most* not *all* of these graduates get into ivy leagues. This option is hence an extreme one.

Originally posted by AmoyV on 12 Apr 2015, 00:25.
Last edited by AmoyV on 12 Apr 2015, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
vscid wrote:

Can anyone guide why not A?
NEGATE:
NOT Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(however we did not take the consideration of whether he applied or not. but then why the word "accepted")
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ssriva2 wrote:
vscid wrote:

Can anyone guide why not A?
NEGATE:
NOT Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(however we did not take the consideration of whether he applied or not. but then why the word "accepted")

This is an inference question, not an assumption question. Are you applying the negation technique to it? That works for assumption questions only.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts