GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 09:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:19) correct 25% (01:29) wrong based on 430 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts should be restructured because when a contractor bids for a contract, the contractor is acutely aware that other contractors will be submitting bids for the same contract. Therefore, the amount of a bid is not an accurate gauge of how much a contract is actually worth.

Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

A. Contractors often charge outrageous amounts for even simple architectural projects.

B. An alternative method for awarding architectural contracts already exists.

C. Some contractors who compete for land management projects do so by systems other than submitting bids.

D. Some architectural contractors base the amount of their bids on factors other than the amount of money necessary to complete the contract.

E. The information provided to those who hire contractors is not sufficient for them to decide which contractor to hire.

A. No. In fact, the argument implies that architects are underselling themselves in order to win contracts.
B. No. Why else would the Executive be asking for a new process?
C. No. This is out of scope, since the executive is speaking about those contracts that do go through the bidding process.
D. Yes. If this were not the case, then contract bids would necessarily be accurate gauges of the contracts' worth.
E. No. The information is not at issue; the value of the contracts compared to the value of contract bids is.

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 00:40
Straight D
D correctly gives reason why the the value of contract can no be deduced from bid.
It tells us there are other reasons apart form the money needed to complete the project to base the bid .
Therefore the true value of the project can not be deduced from bidding

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 05:18
I had selected C. I am aware that even C is wrong.
However this question needs some help in deciphering it further. When I deconstruct it, it is a argument which is mentioned by the Executive who vouches for change in the bid system as while bidding the contractor is aware that others will be bidding. So here on, what can we pre-think? I am quite blank on this space!
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 21:18
ruchi857 wrote:
I had selected C. I am aware that even C is wrong.
However this question needs some help in deciphering it further. When I deconstruct it, it is a argument which is mentioned by the Executive who vouches for change in the bid system as while bidding the contractor is aware that others will be bidding. So here on, what can we pre-think? I am quite blank on this space!

Hi ,

Premise 1-The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts should be restructured ,because when a contractor bids for a contract, the contractor is acutely aware that other contractors will be submitting bids for the same contract.

Conclusion: the amount of a bid is not an accurate gauge of how much a contract is actually worth.

it is given that contractor is not quoting amount what is required for project ...why so...one of the factor: To win the contract they will put less amount as many contractors are involved((( contractors know this fact))), there will be sense of insecurity that quotation amount of other contractor can be less than actual amount require to complete the project .its kind of competing with other contractors...So if contractor is not revealed that other contractor are involved then may be they will quote exact amount .
Above can be one of the reason , there can be many like that..

that is what D is saying ...
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 07:27
Hello Guys,

Why can't A be the answer here?

Prethinking: - As BIDs are not accurate measure of the contracts; The BIDs are either over quoted or under quoted as BIDDERs know what other BIDDERs are going to BID for.

Option A straight away conveys the same Point

Option D says "Some" contractors base the amount on other factors; The statement also implies that "Some" contractors base their BID on the actual amount of work required. This is a 50:50 answer. Not sure if this is the correct assumption

Please let me know where I am going wrong

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

CR Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 15:45
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Why can't A be the answer here?

Prethinking: - As BIDs are not accurate measure of the contracts; The BIDs are either over quoted or under quoted as BIDDERs know what other BIDDERs are going to BID for.

Option A straight away conveys the same Point

Option D says "Some" contractors base the amount on other factors; The statement also implies that "Some" contractors base their BID on the actual amount of work required. This is a 50:50 answer. Not sure if this is the correct assumption

Please let me know where I am going wrong

Hi Pikolo2510,

(A) cannot be the correct choice because this is an ASSUMPTION question. Therefore, information stated in the question cannot be the answer. Answer (A) is stated in the question. If this were an inference question, (A) could be a possible answer!

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Re: Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2017, 15:45

Executive: The process of submitting bids for architectural contracts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap