GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Expected score improvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 250 Q33 V6
GPA: 3.15
Expected score improvement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 02:34
Hi guys,

Just took my diagnostic test and scored a 460 (Q: 20/37, V: 16/41)

How much can I expect my score to increase if I have 3 months of vacation to study? (as much as I want per day)

Is a 680 realistic?

thnx
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Expected score improvement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 07:19
Anthonydh wrote:
Hi guys,

How much can I expect my score to increase if I have 3 months of vacation to study? (as much as I want per day)

Is a 680 realistic?

thnx

Yes that score is achievable. What matters is not just how much effort you put in, but the effort needs to be in the right direction. 3 months is sufficient time to improve score substantially.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 10:52
Anthonydh wrote:
Hi guys,

Is a 680 realistic?

thnx

Hi,

680 is very much achievable score in 3 months, and the scope of improvement increases if you study full time for GMAT. The thing you should keep in mind is to plan properly before starting preparation. Make a schedule for every day for the next 3 months. Plan every move i.e how you will make an error log, how much improvement you want to see after 1 month, what is your weak area and vice versa, how will you note down your learnings etc. You can change your plan as and when needed. But stick to plan for reasonable time.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 20:13
Hi Anthonydh,

To start, you have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. Studying "however much you want" over the next few months could lead to 'burn out' and doesn't account for what exactly you'll be doing during all of those study hours. Raising a 460 to a 680+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. This is meant to say that you'll need to be efficient - and do a lot of specific work over the next 3+ months - but that type of score gain IS achievable.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 250 Q33 V6
GPA: 3.15
Expected score improvement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 07:08
thanks for the advice! It is indeed something that I should focus on.

Do you have any advice on how to overcome such a plateau and make sure that I keep progressing?

I'm going to be using the OG + manhattan books (books are the most efficient learning tool for me).
I think I don't need more books than that, as I also believe in quality over quantity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:07
Hi! Getting a 680 is definitely realistic as you said you have three months of vacation to study.

1) Your question is a general question which many have posted in this forum. Maybe you might like to look at them as well.
2) Have a positive mindset about the exam. According to me, getting bogged down and feeling nervous will be the biggest contributor in your downfall. So let not a target score worry you too much. Don't get fixated to a particular score. Just give your best shot so that you remain motivated to bring out the best in you. Tell yourself every morning and every evening and whenever you feel down, "GMAT is testing some core skills and nothing advanced. Just push yourself with the mantra, "If I can't, then no one can"."!!
3) Give at least one mock every week until your exam day. Spend more time in analyzing your results. Improve wherever possible. Develop and improve your timing strategy. There are ways to improve on this front, like (1) more practice under exam conditions or (2) strategically skipping few "above your ability level" questions in few seconds or (3) setting up your scratch pad before the exam to keep a track of time etc or many other strategies. Refer to this for more details (https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-3/)
4) Official questions are like a gold mine. Solve them and learn from them. Analyze even those questions which you have got right. Analyze the wrong options why they were wrong. Maintain an error log.
5) Develop a clear strategy on how to tackle each and every question type. This will help you in saving time. (For example - read this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suffici ... ufficiency) - Similarly you will have to develop strategies for CR & other question types.
6) For relaxing yourself try doing some meditation on daily basis and eat very healthy food till exam. Some physical exercise on daily basis should also be helpful. Dont study too much just 1-2 days before the exam. Take control over your mind and be confident that you can do it!

I think I have shared few pointers which might help you. I hope some other users will chip in with some other pointers which I have not touched upon.

Wishing you all the very best!! I hope you get your dream score!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:10
Anthonydh wrote:
Hi guys,

Is a 680 realistic?

thnx

I think a 680 should be possible for you, even though you do have to invest quite some time into preparation.

As I am not that great in Quant I may only give you some tips on verbal:

1. Check out the SC specific threads on this forum, some of them (generally those with a lot of kudos) are very helpful

2. Listen to some of the videos on the YT chanel from Veritas, Magoosh and GmatNinja

3. Maybe check out the link in my signature, it adresses some verbal topics in general.

If any points are unclear please feel free to reach out.

All the best for your prep my friend,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 11:55
Hi Anthony,

I see it has been about 6 weeks since your initial post. Are you still studying for the GMAT? If so, have you improved your score from a 460? If you are still studying for the GMAT and are still seeking advice, please reach out and I’d be happy to help.

You also may find my article helpful about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: Expected score improvement &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jul 2018, 11:55

Expected score improvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap